Thread: Microsoft Surface Duo 2 will launch in Sept/Oct says report

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft Surface Duo 2 will launch in Sept/Oct says report

Codename Zeta will ship with Android 11 and feature the latest flagship 5G SoC.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Microsoft Surface Duo 2 will launch in Sept/Oct says report

It's not Neo, don't care

Thanks

I'd prefer the neo too....

In all honesty I'd happily buy a microsoft based android phone (although I'd prefer a MS based OS) if it was a single screen (ie like a normal slab, I just don't like dual screen phones.

Thanks

If true, and depending on reviews, it might be this or the Samsung Fold3 for my next phone.

Thanks

Some of the articles at 'Windows Central' are pretty terrible. I cannot recall the exact article, but it was basically an apple marketing post and at that point I'd had enough. Closed my account.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

It's surprising that they have kept the two screen approach with a hinge in the middle, rather than going for the single screen approach like Samsung et al.

I've had a Fold 2 for about 9 months now and i've realised that having two screens on a phone actually isn't all that useful in the real world. Once you get past the "honeymoon" phase of trying to run apps side by side, multi tasking etc...you realise that you just don't need to - phone OS's are already optimised these days for easy app switching and it just isn't worth the hassle in most cases. There are a very minor exceptions (MS teams works great in this mode, as does outlook) but in most cases it just isn't worth it.

What IS really useful, and a key selling point for foldables to me, is the ability to have a large screen that you can open up which effectively replaces your tablet. I almost never touch my tablet now and just use my fold in place of one...I am using the outside single screen for most tasks and then open up if i want to watch a video or something...the crease is not an issue and is close to invisible when watching content, and is hugely preferable to a bit hinge without any screen.

The dual screen devices like this with two entirely separate screens just don't seem all that useful at this sort of size - 5 years ago, sure that would have been amazing but Samsung/Huawei/etc have shown us just how much better foldables are.

The Neo however could be different, as the larger you go the more useful a dual screen setup would be (and the less useful the unfolding becomes, as you already have a tablet sized screen)..but even that is a bit behind the times now imo.

Shame really, like so much Microsoft has done in the mobile space, they are just too far behind the competition. The snapdragon 888 will be replaced by the time this comes out also, so it will again be lagging behind the competition in specifcations!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    It's surprising that they have kept the two screen approach with a hinge in the middle, rather than going for the single screen approach like Samsung et al.
    Personally I think I prefer the 2 screen approach, that 'fold' in a single screen is a weak spot imo and seeing as I would be keeping stuff for a good few years it just seems too much risk.... flexible screens aren't quite ready for prime time imo.

As to neo, yeah I think it might have missed the boat, but at the same time people have been after a 'courier' since it was first shown off, I know I still wish they'd made courier into a real product.

Thread Information