Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft says support for Windows 10 will end in Oct 2025

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft says support for Windows 10 will end in Oct 2025

And Microsoft has released an out of band patch to fix Xbox Game Pass install issues.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Re: Microsoft says support for Windows 10 will end in Oct 2025

I only moved to Windows 10 when I felt it had transitioned from alpha to beta, circa '17.
    I'll be adopting the same mentality for Windows 11 or whatever they decide to call it. Maybe revisit Lindows?

Eggburt69

LOL, only just changed to Win10 from Win7. I wonder what pile of rubbish they will spew out this time? Whatever the case, I'll wait some time after Win10's 'use by date' before even thinking of moving to their new OS, and that's even if I actually do this time.
    Last edited by Eggburt69; 14-06-2021 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eggburt69 View Post
    LOL, only just changed to Win10 from Win7. I wonder what pile of rubbish they will spew out this time? Whatever the case, I'll wait some time after Win10's 'use by date' before even thinking of moving to their new OS, and that's even if I actually do this time.
    Cmon seriously? I mean, I get that it is edgy to hate on Microsoft but I will tell you as someone who used Windows 95 in college, we have come a long way. Most of the computers at our office (Win10) stay on for weeks at a time. That was never the case with the older OS's. You are also not reinstalling the OS at least once a year.

I am sure people will always have legitimate complaints about Windows, but calling it a pile of rubbish is a bit silly. I guess you could always just run a Linux distribution of your choice.

Thanks
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

I dont hate on Microsoft / windows, but they are constantly adding things to it i would never use, it have been this way for me since windows XP.
    But the worst thing is they are forced upon me, if only they gave me the chance to try them myself in my own time, that would be so much better for me.
    Hell i had almost nothing but good vibes from both windows Me and Vista, and i only got on board with windows with windows 98

If only they put in a "Old school" toggle so you could have the very basics, and then add things as you feel you need them or might want to try them.
    Personally i have to go thru a lot of settings for a good half hour every time i install windows, disabling and out right deleting

My friend use those tiles things that come about "lately" i can assure you there are no such BS in the lower left corner of my screen

Eggburt69

Quote Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggburt69 View Post
    Cmon seriously? I mean, I get that it is edgy to hate on Microsoft but I will tell you as someone who used Windows 95 in college, we have come a long way. Most of the computers at our office (Win10) stay on for weeks at a time. That was never the case with the older OS's. You are also not reinstalling the OS at least once a year.

I am sure people will always have legitimate complaints about Windows, but calling it a pile of rubbish is a bit silly. I guess you could always just run a Linux distribution of your choice.
    I've no idea what being 'edgy' is about, but as to it it being rubbish that's really just my view of the OS and you are entitled to have you own view of it. As I've used quite a few OSes over the 43 odd years I've been using personnel computers, I think I do have some experience in the area...

Frankly I just don't like the OS in any way, shape, or form. I truly hate its in-build spyware and the lack of control over its updates. I don't like the stupid tile interface, nor do I like the overall style of the OS. It's hardware compatibility isn't brilliant, breaking bits of kit that worked fine in the earlier OS. I can't stand the 'MS Store', which is just a money grabbing exercise like Apple's. I could go on and on about how, to me, this makes it a rubbish OS, but I won't.

As to Linix, yes that may well be the way I'll go. I've tried one or two before and they were fine for almost all things that I do. (Gaming not so good but I could keep an old Windows box for that.) This will certainty be the case is MS go with a 'Rent-an-OS' in the next, or later OS, as per its Office 365 offering.

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

I would love Microsoft to excel in the new windows version but lets face it at the moment windows 10 spys on you, has an apailing start menu, icons that are flatter than kate moss and lacks control to the point even windows 3.1 did a better job.
    Yes it's stable but thats about all I can say about windows 10.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • thewelshbrummie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87Deluxe/Dual
      • CPU:
      • i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2.5TB in SSDs, 24TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200 V3
      • Operating System:
      • Win8.1/10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410
      • Internet:
      • terrible BT fibre

Don't understand why this is news - 14/10/25 was listed as the end of support date for Windows 10 when it launched in 2015.

Also, telemetry isn't spyware. Yes, there's a debate as to whether it should exist or not, but calling it spyware is disingenuous.

9. Received thanks from:

Ttaskmaster (15-06-2021)

Thanks
    • chrism's system
      • CPU:
      • Pentium M 770
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2GB PC3200
      • Storage:
      • Samsung HD501LJ
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 9600GT 512MB
      • Case:
      • Shuttle SD11G5
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung XL20

Kind of amusing to read this, given I'm currently on a Windows 10 NHS rollout project.

Anyone else remember when they said Windows 10 would be the 'last version' (a la OS X/MacOS)?
    https://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/85...ion-of-windows

Thanks

Windows 10 will be the last major version of Microsoft's operating system. Microsoft's developer evangelist Jerry Nixon made the announcement at the company's Ignite conference in Chicago last week. "Right now we're releasing Windows 10, and because Windows 10 is the last version of Windows, we're all still working on Windows 10," he said.
    So, what we doing now then, also, what about the LTS versions?

Windows 11 is just a crap name tbh, they need to call it something else, maybe Windows X, so then its changing name, but not....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thewelshbrummie View Post
    Don't understand why this is news - 14/10/25 was listed as the end of support date for Windows 10 when it launched in 2015.

Also, telemetry isn't spyware. Yes, there's a debate as to whether it should exist or not, but calling it spyware is disingenuous.
    It's not disingenuous if the result is that data could be sent to MS that includes personal information, sensitive information and/or the contents of documents and files, and it does it without explicit permission from the user.

And that can happen.

That's not to say that that is always happening, or that gaining such info is the purpose of telemetry but it can end up being the result .... unless the user spends quite a bit of time turning such reporting functions off 9which I have) but to do that, the user has to know it is happening in the first place. I'd bet most users don't have a clue.

Depending on how your feedback and diagnostics settings are ent, and what problems your system experiences, it is certainly possible that files, documents or parts of documents can be sent, and if those happen to be financial documents, medical documents, confidential business documents, etc, then IMHO it is a disgrace that it is even possible for such data to be sent without the user's explicit permission, which from me would absolutely never be the case. Whether we call that diagnostics, or telemetry, or spyware, is sophistry.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

13. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Meh. I've been day 1 on every version of Windows since XP. Never really had an issue. Will jump on 11 in the same way. Got to be honest though the lack of fore warning is a bit annoying. Been spec'ing software based on the statement that Windows 10 was the last version of windows even recently (I have customer's buying software today that will still expect to be supported in 5 years).
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Registered+
    Thanks

I thought win 10 was meant to be the last windows and they were just going to keep updating it? Im sure i read that years ago.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0MEGA View Post
    I thought win 10 was meant to be the last windows and they were just going to keep updating it? Im sure i read that years ago.
    It was meant to be, and they did say that. which, looking on the positive side might mean that MS were planning on going the subscription route for it, especially given the whole Office 365 thing, but just maybe have noticed the reluctance and resentment of being forced into that route from a large percentage of users (though others are equally happy with it) and decided to reverse that hypothecised decision for the reluctant group. Which means, if they can't get the likes of me paying a subscription every month, they're going to want us upgrading and paying for that instead.

And that I will happily do provided what is being offered in the "upgrade" actually is an upgrade, and to me, is worth the price. I don't mind paying for software I actually like and use. I've bought several packages recently, including two in the last month. But whatever the changes are to justify a new version have to justify to me that it is value for money, or I won't upgrade. And just as with Adobe, no matter how good or how much a market leader they are, trying to strong-arm me into a subscription will just result in me switchung software. For most of my computer usage, I've already moved it to Linux. The bit that is still using Windows means whatever W11 offers is going to have to be pretty special to convince me it's worth spending money on it, when judging by W10, I didn't actually want it at all .... even as a "free" upgrade.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Paul Thurrott (one of Microsoft pet Journos,) has installed a "leaked" image and run some articles on his site. It's Windows 10 with a UI update.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gentle Viking View Post
    I dont hate on Microsoft / windows, but they are constantly adding things to it i would never use, it have been this way for me since windows XP.
    But the worst thing is they are forced upon me, if only they gave me the chance to try them myself in my own time, that would be so much better for me.
    Hell i had almost nothing but good vibes from both windows Me and Vista, and i only got on board with windows with windows 98
    Both ME and Vista were a very mixed bag. People who didn't have driver issues all seemed to have a good time, anyone whose hardware manufacturer wasn't bothered about it was taking a trip to BSoD country.

Now, the real question we need to ask is will Microsoft do another wave of 'free' installs like they did with Win 10 to drive uptake?

As long as I can still run legacy 32-bit software that's never been updated and PCEM still works for when I'm feeling the urge to show someone what Win 3.11FWG was like, I'll likely upgrade once it's had a few weeks for any major issues to shake out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information