• Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Re: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro

Looks like a decent bit of kit and competitive for the price and current dGPU shortages.

1600p 165Hz screen is also nice, although being a gaming laptop, can't help but think a VA panel would be better given you're sitting plumb centre if using the screen. This must just be a supply/stock issue of no one providing VA panels at this res/speed/screen size?
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

From my experience of VA panels, the response time and colour on modern IPS is leagues better. I was very disappointed with the ghosting and colours on the MSI MPG271CQR, which was my first VA panel. Coming from a Dell 27" 1440p IPS panel before, which has much more vivid colours. Still the 144Hz refresh rate made up for it in gaming. However I've since moved back to a 165Hz Dell Nano IPS and don't think I'd consider a VA panel at this point.

Registered+
    Thanks

Was hoping to get one of these to replace the wife's recently deceased MSI laptop. Unfortunately we couldn't find this model available/in stock in the UK. Wound up picking up the "so boring no one can be ar$ed to review it" Legion 5 with 5800h could and rtx 3070 gpu. It was/is amazing value at £1299 and you can actually buy it from reputable UK retailers! It's not as glamorous and it's not as new sexy, but damn it does a good job hooked up to the wife's 1440p external monitor playing ME:LE.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Mauley's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 PC Mate
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-4590
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 250GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Antec NeoPower 550w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flatron 23.5in LED
      • Internet:
      • Plusent 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Aemelius View Post
    Was hoping to get one of these to replace the wife's recently deceased MSI laptop. Unfortunately we couldn't find this model available/in stock in the UK. Wound up picking up the "so boring no one can be ar$ed to review it" Legion 5 with 5800h could and rtx 3070 gpu. It was/is amazing value at £1299 and you can actually buy it from reputable UK retailers! It's not as glamorous and it's not as new sexy, but damn it does a good job hooked up to the wife's 1440p external monitor playing ME:LE.
    Same, I bought the same model thinking it was a really great price. I got mine through my work so saved on the VAT and also used my Perkbox discount it became even cheaper. I love the machine so far.

Thanks

I managed to get one 2 weeks ago. I must say, it more than meets my expectations in everything but memory. The 16GB in the L5P is an issue and the reason this particular model performs subpar compared to similarly specced systems.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/ng4l2g/jarrodstech_why_legion_5_pro_underperforms/

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by lahn View Post
    I managed to get one 2 weeks ago. I must say, it more than meets my expectations in everything but memory. The 16GB in the L5P is an issue and the reason this particular model performs subpar compared to similarly specced systems.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comm...underperforms/
    Um, why link to a reddit that links to a youtube? Just link the original video

TL;DR: He thinks the memory having worse secondary timings (in particular tRFC) than some other kits is resulting in a performance hit. Replacing the RAM with a kit with better secondary timings (even though primary timings are the same) gave a performance uplift.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Um, why link to a reddit that links to a youtube? Just link the original video

TL;DR: He thinks the memory having worse secondary timings (in particular tRFC) than some other kits is resulting in a performance hit. Replacing the RAM with a kit with better secondary timings (even though primary timings are the same) gave a performance uplift.
    I haven't watched that video but did see one a day or two ago with Linus comparing two laptops, one Intel and one AMD. Basically, one had single rank RAM and the other dual rank, of the same speed, etc.

By swapping the memory from A to B, and B to A, the 20% or so speed difference moved too, the inference being that the two machines were pretty much identical (overall) in performance if equipped with identical density memory, and that it was the memory density that was making the difference.

I found that hard to believe, but if A is 20% faster than, and when yu swap memory, B is 20% faster than A, well, it's hard to argue with it.

Of course, there were some vaiances between individual benchmarks, some aparently served better by ine variant, and others by the other variant.

Overall, the message was that some manufacturers have apparently (allegedly) been getting reviews done with the faster variant, then silently swapping for the other, 'cos it's a bit cheaper. And to stress, the wasn't about memory speeds, or tiings, but simply single versus dual rank.

Maybe this is the same issue as in that video, but I haven't watched it.

EDIT - From just looking at the first 40 seconds (referencing chips on one side, versus chips on both) it looks like it is the same single v dual rank thingy. This may be where Linus picked up this idea, as he did credit another site (which I hadn't yet checked out).
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thread Information