Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 11's refined context menus explained

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Windows 11's refined context menus explained

And Microsoft has shared workarounds for the SeriousSAM 0-day vulnerability.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Re: Windows 11's refined context menus explained

This has to be one of the worst changes they have made (along with fixing the taskbar in one place, and removing the easy access to task manager) - it's a real pain the backside learning the new icons (which are not even using well recognised industry standard icons..), and [currently] having to go to "more options" for 3rd party explorer hooks is another pain.

It feels very clunky to use at the moment and this is an area they really need to work hard on as Windows 11 progresses - they ideally need to make this end-user configurable so I can make the layout make sense rather than the confusing mess it is at the moment.

Windows 11 is largely good, but some daft decision like this one are really annoying!

Vlt
    Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    This has to be one of the worst changes they have made (along with fixing the taskbar in one place, and removing the easy access to task manager) - it's a real pain the backside learning the new icons (which are not even using well recognised industry standard icons..), and [currently] having to go to "more options" for 3rd party explorer hooks is another pain.

It feels very clunky to use at the moment and this is an area they really need to work hard on as Windows 11 progresses - they ideally need to make this end-user configurable so I can make the layout make sense rather than the confusing mess it is at the moment.

Windows 11 is largely good, but some daft decision like this one are really annoying!
    Kinda like the Control Panel changes decision... :/

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Vlt View Post

Kinda like the Control Panel changes decision... :/
    To be fair - Microsoft are just copying other consumer OS's in simplifying for non-tech users. Blame Apple for starting it...
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

Did they load up the Windows 10 one with as many apps as possible to make the Windows 11 one look better?

Thanks

There's a share menu in Windows! I never knew that/can't find it.

Not that i want it.

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

We all asked for aero back and they give us this rubish

Thanks

This has to be one of the worst changes they have made (along with fixing the taskbar in one place, ...
    And that is one of the things winding me up about 11.

It is not the biggest issue in the world, but I have my taskbar at the top, have had it at the top since the invention of the taskbar, and the reason I have it at the top is because, Microsoft, that is where I flaming well like it !!!!

So far, I've seen nothing in 11 which says to me "I need that", and it's things like that that incline me to just stay with 10 .... which I was and am reluctant enough to move to in the first place .... at least until 2025.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

This is the problem with trying to design a desktop OS using mobile OS mentality.... so many of the changes being done with windows 11 are being done to suit 'mobile users', which if they're after making a new mobile OS is fine but a desktop is a different thing all together and should be treated as such.

In all honesty there was nothing inherently wrong with the old (current) right click, they just needed to give us an easy way to edit it so we could remove the junk that kept getting added by third parties (including ms).

At this rate they'll actually be making life harder/worse for those of us who use the OS for 'work'.....essentially just to please the 'mobile generation'

10. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (22-07-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    This is the problem with trying to design a desktop OS using mobile OS mentality.... so many of the changes being done with windows 11 are being done to suit 'mobile users', which if they're after making a new mobile OS is fine but a desktop is a different thing all together and should be treated as such.

In all honesty there was nothing inherently wrong with the old (current) right click, they just needed to give us an easy way to edit it so we could remove the junk that kept getting added by third parties (including ms).

At this rate they'll actually be making life harder/worse for those of us who use the OS for 'work'.....essentially just to please the 'mobile generation'
    Ahhh but have you tried Win 11's version? Latest update it's actually pretty useable, the icons aren't the best but it's not hard to work out what they mean. Works faster as well because less crap is now displayed
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Ahhh but have you tried Win 11's version? Latest update it's actually pretty useable, the icons aren't the best but it's not hard to work out what they mean. Works faster as well because less crap is now displayed
    Nope, I need my pc's for work so need stability more than anything.

In all honesty with everything I'm seeing of late in regards to the UI/UX I'm less interested in swapping from win 10 to win 11, if I did move to win 11 (assuming no changes) the first thing to be changed would be the start menu using classic shell or something (basically to get the win 10 one back), I have never felt the need to go back to an older start menu before (I even liked win 8...), can't say I'm a huge fan of the apparent lack of contrast in the UI either, it might look pretty but it does make things harder to see quickly (speaking as a designer).

To be fair the majority of windows 11 is still basically windows 10, but those bits that are being changed, at least for me looking from the outside, would make my workflow slower and as the saying goes, time is money. Will I try it in the future, most likely when I get a new pc I'll grab windows 11 on it, but I'm not going to jump in early like I have in the past.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Works faster as well because less crap is now displayed
    For me it's no faster than it was on windows 10 - its just more cluttered, and it's harder to instantly go for the option you want as its an icon rather than a simple word.

It's clearly an "optimisation" made for touch, and imo should only exist when in tablet/touch screen mode, not when on a non-touch desktop.

Thanks

Dunno about LSG but in my case, that'll be a big, fat no. My days of running betas or RCs are well behind me, and that has bells on, for OS beta's. As far as I'm concerned, the OS is there to run things and otherwise get out of my way in doing what I need/want to do, be that writing, editing photos/videos, browsing here or even playing a game. I'm not interested in playing with beta's .... or even being an early adopter of final code which, all to often is really the final stage of beta in all but name.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rubarb View Post
    We all asked for aero back and they give us this rubish
    Speak for yourself please, I despised win XP, Vista, and 7 and I really like the flat look of win 8.x, 10 & 11

Thanks

Well I for one have zero issues with speed or stability. Don't mind the changes at all, and really can't see the fuss everybody is making at changes...
    I believe most of you should look at moving away from windows the amount of hate you're giving it...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Well I for one have zero issues with speed or stability. Don't mind the changes at all, and really can't see the fuss everybody is making at changes...
    I believe most of you should look at moving away from windows the amount of hate you're giving it...
    Already have for most of my stuff but I have a few applications only available on Windows, and I'm not a fan of emulators if I can help it. Until those applications are released I'm stuck with Windows. What I'm not stuck with is having any online connection on that machine so, if need be, it goes behind my airgap. Problem solved for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information