Thread: AMD CPU dominance is "over" when ADL arrives, says Intel CEO

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

AMD CPU dominance is "over" when ADL arrives, says Intel CEO

Intel is going to secure the platform leadership role in desktop and server, he asserts.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: AMD CPU dominance is "over" when ADL arrives, says Intel CEO

well I dont want my PC to explode as the Intel CPU's currently seem to be extreme clocked and stuck in whatever 10++++++++ proces.... I doubt that Intel can maul AMD, especially if AMD keep at going with long lasting sockets.

Not that I like either brand, am looking at what they are going to provide both of them.

Thanks

I read the CRN article and I have to be frank that it was filled with arrogance, FUD and good speak for shareholders.

It had so little meat and potatoes, it was a very strong posturing piece and something I would not expect from the CEO of a business of that size and "pedigree".

But if this is Intels new form then...well...watch this space for how they treat their market when the market is dealing with AMD as well.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    I read the CRN article and I have to be frank that it was filled with arrogance, FUD and good speak for shareholders.

It had so little meat and potatoes, it was a very strong posturing piece and something I would not expect from the CEO of a business of that size and "pedigree".

But if this is Intels new form then...well...watch this space for how they treat their market when the market is dealing with AMD as well.
    Wasn't he there the last time when Intel had competition?

You know when the authorised all those brown envelopes to Dell and so on?

Which isn't to say that Intel might not try some predatory pricing (but not with the i9 ADL-S) to try and get sales. While I don't disagree that companies only look out for themselves, I agree with you that given the choice between Blue, Green, and Red I'd rather avoid Intel and Nvidia. For me it's not just about a headline price today especially as in Intel's case we can be pretty sure what any good prices will last just until the competition is gone. While not happy about higher prices, I feel that a big deeper pockets for the 2nd player are important - not that making mistakes is a good thing but I feel it is healthier if Intel are not the only ones able to afford mis-steps.
    So I buy for now but with some consideration of my next purchase and realise the purpose of the dumping.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Yes,we can then pay over £300 for a flipping 6C CPU,when 6C CPUs went as low as £120. Considering a decade ago we had £75 quad cores(around £100 in todays money),a £120 6C CPU in 10 years isn't as impressive as you might think.

But when a 6C laptop using the same sillicon will cost a few hundred for the entire system,all the fanciful talk is how much they can fleece enthusiasts for. I am sick of Intel,Nvidia and AMD just using DIY PC builders as cash cows,whilst they are happy to see the sell same parts for significantly less to their partners like Dell,Apple,Microsoft,Sony,etc.

Nobody cares about dominance,if price/performance does not improve or is it going to be like Intel "dominance" with quad cores,when we had 10 years of them. Or are the prices going up and up in line with the performance jump??

Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post

Which isn't to say that Intel might not try some predatory pricing (but not with the i9 ADL-S) to try and get sales. While I don't disagree that companies only look out for themselves, I agree with you that given the choice between Blue, Green, and Red I'd rather avoid Intel and Nvidia. For me it's not just about a headline price today especially as in Intel's case we can be pretty sure what any good prices will last just until the competition is gone. While not happy about higher prices, I feel that a big deeper pockets for the 2nd player are important - not that making mistakes is a good thing but I feel it is healthier if Intel are not the only ones able to afford mis-steps.
    So I buy for now but with some consideration of my next purchase and realise the purpose of the dumping.
    This time they can just outbid AMD/Nvidia for TSMC capacity,then get billions of USD of US taxpayers help to thrown money at their own fabs,so they can catch up(NatSec reasons OFC). That way AMD/Nvidia get starved off cutting edge fab capacity,and then once Intel gets their fabs fixed can push ahead. Its no coincidence their GPUs are the 1st to be on TSMC 6NM!
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 05-10-2021 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks

Yep!

Double Yep!

He was also in a position to have consequentially known this was happening and/or been party to it.

Thanks

This type of thing from Intel is pretty normal at the moment, they know they're currently screwed and are trying to damage control without being allowed to use money to buy off companies. I don't think the situation is likely to change if those prices for the new cpu's is true, not to mention we ideally need windows 11 for them (no thanks lol)

It's not just this, you should check out some of the video's from them on youtube... it's like a bad divorce with Apple, even getting the apple versus pc guy involved....this makes the apple vs pc ads seem good lol.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk7...Aj8m8BLgzh6dGA

Seriously, whoever is doing their marketing/PR needs firing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    This type of thing from Intel is pretty normal at the moment, they know they're currently screwed and are trying to damage control without being allowed to use money to buy off companies. I don't think the situation is likely to change if those prices for the new cpu's is true, not to mention we ideally need windows 11 for them (no thanks lol)

It's not just this, you should check out some of the video's from them on youtube... it's like a bad divorce with Apple, even getting the apple versus pc guy involved....this makes the apple vs pc ads seem good lol.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk7...Aj8m8BLgzh6dGA

Seriously, whoever is doing their marketing/PR needs firing.
    I was disgusted when the Intel presentation went "Intel doesn't get viruses, here is an Intel laptop stopping the virus and here is an AMD laptop in the throws of being an infect PoS" (paraphrased, they didn't exactly say that but it was close) and the fact it was let fly. It's obscene how much anti-competitor marketing they're doing where in stead of marketing on the value and merits of their own products by saying "this is great and here's why *go into a technical dive*", they're instead going "our competitors are garbage, look at us instead".

When in reality, neither Intel or their competitors are garbage it's just that Intel can't win on their own merits because their competitors have either equalised or exceeded while Intel is still bolting on features that only the extreme minority need and only affect niche scenarios then crowning them as industry changing. The only thing they change in the industry is the pricing...

Found it: https://youtu.be/YhjCV0-DrfE?t=421

Look at this effing garbage.
    Last edited by Tabbykatze; 05-10-2021 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks

I was disgusted when the Intel presentation went "Intel doesn't get viruses, here is an Intel laptop stopping the virus and here is an AMD laptop in the throws of being an infect PoS" (paraphrased, they didn't exactly say that but it was close) and the fact it was let fly. It's obscene how much anti-competitor marketing they're doing where in stead of marketing on the value and merits of their own products by saying "this is great and here's why *go into a technical dive*", they're instead going "our competitors are garbage, look at us instead".

When in reality, neither Intel or their competitors are garbage it's just that Intel can't win on their own merits because their competitors have either equalised or exceeded while Intel is still bolting on features that only the extreme minority need and only affect niche scenarios then crowning them as industry changing. The only thing they change in the industry is the pricing...

Found it: https://youtu.be/YhjCV0-DrfE?t=421

Look at this effing garbage.
    I thought the chromebook 'no virus' advert was cutting a fine line between false advertising, that intel one is just flat out bs. It's also funny how they're neglecting the fact that they were the worst hit with things spectre...so part of the reason they need 'cet' etc tech is because they left a great big holes in the first place...

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

Sure they could but one thing is for sure , they have to try a lot harder than they are doing atm

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Rubarb View Post
    Sure they could but one thing is for sure , they have to try a lot harder than they are doing atm
    Like with GPUs,it now seems like "we beat the competition by 10% so we can charge 30% more" mantra. You would think people would actually hold off a few years,to actually get a big increase(or wait for a decent deal after launch),but apparently enough do it and it validates the approach.

How nice it would be,like in the good old days,companies would price a faster part at the price of the current fastest part,causing actual downwards pressure. Seems like they realised they don't need to anymore.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 05-10-2021 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks

Intel is way CONFIDENT. Trust me my people intel is a business and marketing is key.

Thanks

Lots of marketing speak and lots of words to please the shareholders... Why would he say this? Is it because he knows the moment they release their new architecture, so will AMD? AMD are literally holding all the cards right now, I think he must be scared of what AMD have got coming...

Thanks

rofl with pat

Registered+
    Thanks

Seems typical tough talk speech by Intel, and in all intent and purposes likely correct for a few months until an AMD release passes by, but I still wince at the Intel power on per core basis seems to be heading wrong direction so think AMD still on a winner from power/efficiency segmentation of the market. Feels Intel are pushing the performance matrix at the expense of increased power consumption if ADL has a PL2 of 228W and 8 of those 16 cores are supposedly E efficiency cores then what is that saying about the 8 P performance cores in regards to power use.

Thanks

He can say all he likes but I don't think so.

Thread Information