Thread: HEXUS.gaming :: The First 15 : Quake 4

Thanks

HEXUS.gaming :: The First 15 : Quake 4

The Quake series has to be one of the top three FPS franchises of all time, alongside Doom and Half Life. The original defined all that an FPS should be, spawning a slew of shooters that defined one of the most popular genres ever to hit the PC. So with a pedigree such as the Quake games have, Quake 4 is one of the most eagerly anticipated shooters this year. Here’s our first impressions…

And you'll have to go to HEXUS.gaming to find out what they are...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Old boys club member
    Thanks
    How many hours have you been playing for now Nick? Any new developments in your thoughts on the game? Purely to re-live Quake 2 I have to go out and buy a copy!! Have you heard if they are going to have a freezetag multiplayer option?

Thanks
    Only been playing for maybe an hour or so at the most... sadly for me, there's this guy who keeps ringing up telling me to do some work... He seems less than impressed when I say I am...

My thoughts, at this stage, are the same as my first impressions... it's an accomplished shooter but brings nothing new to the genre at all.

That's not necessarily a bad thing though. I'm really starting to think that this is the game Doom 3 could and should have been.

It's a seamless continutation of the where the Quake 2 story left off, which is great and very nostalgic, it's very enjoyable and looks damn good on the HEXUS.gaming Test Rig... lucky, lucky me.

I'm in the process right now of doing some screenies for you guys.
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    It looks good i think big question I want to know is which is going to be better then the new Unreal that will be released

Although the new unreal is going to be amazing graphics do you think the games will compare in gameplay? ( i know you wont be able to answer this properly as its not released yet )

In your opinion which one do you think will be best for game play anyone have any views?

IIRC the big fuss a while back was Quake 2 Vs Unreal ^ ^
    Quote Originally Posted by Noni
    What the hell does "WTH" mean

Thanks
    • wedge22's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS H87i PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3
      • Storage:
      • OCZ 240GB SSD and Seagate 3TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX 780 OC
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone SFX 450G
      • Case:
      • Fractal Node 304
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yamakasi 27" IPS and 1080p 100" Projector
      • Internet:
      • 50MB
    I have been enjoying the game so far on my rig and it look amazing and runs really well too.
    Main Rig: i2600k@4.3Ghz/ASUS P8P67 PRO/MSi GTX580/16GB Mushkin/HAF X/Noctua NH-D14

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre
    Only got 5 mins on it last night but my initial thoughts were that it was much better then I expected

The sounds, visuals and setting clicked with me immediatly.

Need to get a decent session on it over the weekend, including some multiplayer action

I'm really starting to think that this is the game Doom 3 could and should have been.
    Yup, thinking the same.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    *waits for his copy*

It sounds like I will be dissapointed though, i was hoping for more of a Quake1 style game (easily the best in the series) but it seems it's not to be. Here's hoping for Quake 5

Quote Originally Posted by Nick's feature thing
    Another big plus over Doom 3 is that mounting a flashlight on your weapon is a technology that hasn’t been lost in the future
    Bah another one who didnt quite 'get' the point of that feature in Doom 3. If you played Doom 3 with the patch/hack that gave you light as well as a weapon you totally lose the atmosphere etc of the game. It's a great game and there are many excellent tense sections which are dependant on this functionality. The game is much scarier, and realistic, with the switch between flashlight/weapon thing. Granted, with the machine gun it could easily have had one built in, but this adds weight to the weapon making it less accurate/harder to use. I never found that i needed both a gun and light to play, switching between was good enough...Also although I havnt quoted, there seemed to be a dig at Doom 3's gameplay - again if it was then you missed the point there, Doom 3 was meant to - and does for the most part - play alot like Doom 1/2, so enemies bursting out of no-where, hiding in the floor etc is exactly what we wanted - its doom through and through

But anyway i digress, can't really comment on Quake 4 till it arrives but we'll see

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    The not-having-flashlight-on-weapon never bothered me in Doom3 either...

Can't wait till I can play this (but i think i'll wait a week before posting on here..)
    Last edited by dangel; 21-10-2005 at 01:31 PM.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    Guys, I've just updated the artcile with a few screenies... you gotta love this HEXUS.gaming test rig... oooh yes!

Spud, sorry, but I did 'get' Doom 3 totally... As Carmack always said, it Doom 3 was what he had always wanted Doom to be. The problem I had with it was that by the time it came out, FPSs had become more sophisticated affairs... and the whole 'place an inviting ammo pack in the middle of a room as a trap' thing was done to death in both Doom 1 and 2, Quake, Hexen, Return to Castl Wolfenstein and just about any FPS of that ilk.

Obviously opinion on Doom 3 will always be divided over the flashlight issue, but to my mind, compared with it's contempories, Doom 3 is a rather old fashioned gameplay concept in rather flashy new clothes.

Gamers expect more from a shooter than simple go here, fetch this, shoot everything gameplay now and while Doom 3 undoubtedly delivered on the graphics front, the actual game was pretty shallow and the traps and 'surprises' obvious. A bit like Friday the 3th Part 8 (or whatever number they got to)... you just know when the axe weilding psyco is going to pop out...

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    'Doom 3 is a rather old fashioned gameplay concept in rather flashy new clothes.' Yes it is exactly that (good way of putting it btw )

That is what I, and many other gamers wanted and expected from Doom3. It is really wrong for anyone to expect anything more from it, as you point out it is what carmack wanted Doom to be..but anyway, i'll agree to disagree on this issue to avoid another massive arugement like there was on here when it came out

Thanks
    It's a lot of fun, im impressed. I wasn't expecting anything revolutionary, like HL2, or anything, and it delivers what it should.

-Awesome graphics (and performance, not like FEAR )
    -Brilliant sounds
    -Great looking/sounding weapons
    -Decent enough strory

Ive played about 2 hrs worth, maybe a little less, playing on Hard. My favourite bit so far, was when the USS hannibal landed. I won't spoil it, but it'scool, and i thought, dam thats sweet. The Cannon also looks the dogs.

Playing at 1600x1200, 8X AF, High Quality, max everything, looks very nice. 90% of the time it's at 60fps cap, sometimes dips to 30 with massive fire and stuff, but other than that it's very smooth.

The flashlight thing, is exactly what D3 should of had.

smtkr
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Obviously opinion on Doom 3 will always be divided over the flashlight issue, but to my mind, compared with it's contempories, Doom 3 is a rather old fashioned gameplay concept in rather flashy new clothes.
    I don't know if this is widely known, but during the interview on g4tv, John Carmack mentioned that while the official repsonse to the flashlight issue is that it makes the game scarier, the original reason had more to do with the ability of the then current hardware to handle both a weapon and dynamic lighting (or something to that effect). I had never heard this from Id before, so it surprised me.

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable
    Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppppppppp man I picked this up on the way home last night, went out got in about midnight, been playing it ever since Brings back all the glory of Quake 2 for me as I never liked Q3 as much, don't know how far through I am yet but I seem to be wasting to much time playing in the grav tanks Quite suprised at how well it runs to. Currently running at 1024x768 with high details and 8xAF and 8xAF without a single jutter

As for the doom 3 flashlight issue, there is a mod out there that attaches the flash light to the machine gun and shotgun just like in Quake 4 Issue solved Problem with Doom 3 was you could guess exactly where the mobs were gonna pop out, you can with Quake 4 to some extent but the thing that got me was crawling through the walk ways then that big walker slamming the tentacle through the glass and killing me :/ Well time for some more Q4
    Last edited by Grey M@a; 22-10-2005 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks
    I don't agree with it carrying over the feel of Quake 2, in fact I think its lost the Quake appeal...however it is an excellent game, perhaps everything Doom 3 should of been...sadly I got F.E.A.R and Qu4 is now null....for now

Thread Information