Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HEXUS.gaming:: Preview : TOCA Race Driver 3 - Hands on

Thanks

HEXUS.gaming:: Preview : TOCA Race Driver 3 - Hands on

We've been playing the Codemasters' latest racer, TOCA Race Driver 3, due out in February next year.

This looks like shaping up to be a dynamite little racer, with more cars, tracks and championships than you could wish for.

Check out our in-depth preview of early code over on HEXUS.gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Whoa I actually thought for a moment that that is a real photo..
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    Yes, the GFX really are THAT good... and despite this being unoptimized preview code, it runs incredibly smoothly.
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    That game looks fantastic
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Ok.. major question of importance though.. will it actually play on my DVD drive?

I enjoyed RD2, but when I upgraded the drive I couldn't play it - it just exited to desktop. I heard that this was something to do with the copy protection system being used - so is the same thing likely to be present again?

I'm all for copy-protection, just as long as it lets me play the game!

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Yes, the GFX really are THAT good... and despite this being unoptimized preview code, it runs incredibly smoothly.
    Problem being that is obviously replay images but I have seen the screenies myself and thye aren't far off. I sort of lost interest in the Toca series after they dumped the british touring cars out the game. Have mixed idea's about this third offering, guess I will find out when the demo is released.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel
    Ok.. major question of importance though.. will it actually play on my DVD drive?

I enjoyed RD2, but when I upgraded the drive I couldn't play it - it just exited to desktop. I heard that this was something to do with the copy protection system being used - so is the same thing likely to be present again?

I'm all for copy-protection, just as long as it lets me play the game!
    I know what you mean, Starforce copy protection wouldn't let me run Bet On Soldier until I had deleted the preview code's entries from my registry.

I can't comment on TOCA RD 3 though, it uses Starforce but the install went fine.

Thanks
    Blimey! Those screenshots look amazing! PGR3 has really got me in the mood for a race!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey M@a
    Problem being that is obviously replay images but I have seen the screenies myself and thye aren't far off. I sort of lost interest in the Toca series after they dumped the british touring cars out the game. Have mixed idea's about this third offering, guess I will find out when the demo is released.
    Same here, with no BTC, where was the fun?

I have to say, I was a huge TOCA fan and was thoroughly disappointed with Race Driver... this version sees a cracking return to form though...

Thanks
    Hi everyone, I am new to this forum but have been reading reviews of PC components for some time. Nick can you please tell me more about the graphics and what PC config should I have in order to enjoy TDR 3.

I have seen the gaming rig config and although I will upgrade my PC next year. I will not be able to spend that much. I will get a Geforce 7 may be 512mb but CPU would be 3700+. How are the graphics comapred to other racing games, screenshot look too good to believe.

Thanks
    People go on about Sony's Rootkit, but Starforce is much worse. Starforce Nazi copy protection would not let me play one of the splinter cell games. The official line was - physically remove the drive! Nice one Ubisoft

Anyway, looking forward to this. I will be buying a Momo wheel to play it with too. A GT4 killer?

Is there no storey at all? I hope not, the last games were ruined by the ****, unrealistic and cheesy storey.

Thanks
    • kidzer's system
      • Motherboard:
      • $motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TiB Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower
      • Case:
      • Antec P160
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" Viewsonic
      • Internet:
      • ~3Mbps ADSL (TalkTalk Business)
    Apparently the actual hanling of cars (kinda important in a driving 'sim') aren't much cop.

Or so some people have said that have played the demo, probably a good arcade game but I wouldn't expect it to challenge any of the top racing sims out today.
    "If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"
    - me, 2005

Thanks
    Well after giving the demo a test drive for a couple of days, i have to say i am not very impressed. The handling is pretty tame, unrealistic and i find it overall far too easy. Winning qualifying and races at 100% difficulty level with hardest handling settings after a couple of hours? I went past the stage of having to win every race to enjoy myself at the age of about 14. As for the force feedback, it's utter rubbish. And those wonderful graphics? Don't make me laugh, GTR is better and nearly 2 years older, nothing like the screenshots. I was hoping it was just the demo and the final version would be better, but the reviews i have read confirm the finished version is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankit
    I have seen the gaming rig config and although I will upgrade my PC next year. I will not be able to spend that much. I will get a Geforce 7 may be 512mb but CPU would be 3700+.
    That kind of system will wee all over TOCA RD3. I have every setting totally maxed out (the FSAA is not up to much for some reason), and this is the demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankit
    How are the graphics comapred to other racing games, screenshot look too good to believe.
    They are too good to be true. Very average indeed and the promo screenshots (such as the F1 car crash floating around) have definatly seen a bit of photoshop.

It's fun ok, but i will wait till is bargin bin price before i buy it. Back to GTR then.
    Last edited by autopilot; 06-02-2006 at 08:23 PM.

iMc
    Thanks
    Be careful when judging games graphics on demos. Sometimes they include lower res textures to make the download smaller.

Not saying this is the case here but def something to be aware of.
    HEXUS|iMc

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous_dom
    Well after giving the demo a test drive for a couple of days, i have to say i am not very impressed. The handling is pretty tame, unrealistic and i find it overall far too easy. Winning qualifying and races at 100% difficulty level with hardest handling settings after a couple of hours?
    Hmm, that's odd becuase I'm finding it a challenge... I haven't downloaded the demo as I'm playing review code so I can't comment on the demo, but the full version is nicely challenging and I've played plenty of racing games in the past, even the stupidly hard Grand Prix Legends.

And those wonderful graphics?
    Well it looks damn good on my system... WHat about the real time shadows as you scream down a country lane in the rallies? The dappling of the sun and shadows across the bonnet?

They are too good to be true. Very average indeed and the promo screenshots (such as the F1 car crash floating around) have definatly seen a bit of photoshop.
    Nope, they haven't. That F1 crash is do-able... it's tricky to actually get the cars to flip but it can be done.

But we're giving the full review code a run through now, so we'll see...

Thanks
    Regarding the F1 flipping, i did not mean actually trying to get the car to flip. I was refering to the uber-stunning grahics, blurring and particle effects there are not even close to what you get in the demo.

Have you seen the crowds too? OMG, they are the worst i have seen in a racing game for quite sometime. I crash into the wall, then as i look at the crowd i just want to puke.

Also, What's the AI in the review code like Nick? It's extremly lame in the Demo. In the 3 days of solid play i have given it, i have not seen single NPC car crash. Speaking of crashes, they are not particularly great either. Other cars just try and push you out of the way and they to drive through you. It's so bad when you crash, it just feels all wrong.

Sorry Nick mate, just saying it as i see it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information