Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bands sue Sony for massively underpaying music-download royalties

Thanks

Bands sue Sony for massively underpaying music-download royalties

Having hacked off consumers by its use of security-flawed CD copy-protection, Sony, it would seem, is potentially at legal odds with most of its recording artists for massively underpaying royalties on tracks being sold by legal download.

Two bands, the Allman Brothers Band and Cheap Trick, have started a class-action suit against Sony Music in a Manhattan federal court that will, they hope, draw in up to 2,500 other artists. The suit claims that Sony Music is deducting costs that should only apply to the physical sale of CDs and not downloads.

More in this HEXUS.headline.

Thanks
    This could go either for or against music buyers. On the one hand record companies start to force increased prices to cover their losses. Alternatively some companies could cut out these fees so that the consumer gets the saving rather than the money going to artists.

We can only really wait and see what's going to happen.

smtkr
    I love how Sony tries to play the guilt card, telling consumers that they need to pay for music to support the artists and then pulls this crap.

I don't understand how anyone can continue buying Sony products. Even at Hexus, I see a bunch of retards talking about how they want a PS3. This article is the public face of a huge problem at Sony. It's not wise to buy from a company that tries to screw over everyone it does business with.

Thanks
    Totally agree smtkr. They seem to screw us with their DRM, their prices and then screw their artists with this crap. Sooner or later, we're going to say no thanks to buying Sony goods and sooner or later bands will stop signing up with them.

And downloads hardly cost the earth do they? Its like the new movie downloads from *damn forgot studio name* where its £19.99 for 2 downloads and no back-ups. Why is the price so high? Preferto buy a DVD make a HDD back-up and save myself money as well.

Thanks
    Sony stink - period!

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smtkr
    I don't understand how anyone can continue buying Sony products. Even at Hexus, I see a bunch of retards talking about how they want a PS3. This article is the public face of a huge problem at Sony. It's not wise to buy from a company that tries to screw over everyone it does business with.
    Because they understand sony as a company, and see the destinction between sony electronics and sony records?

Remeber sony records was just set up to make sure they would have enough launch titles for the audio CD. Think back to betamax, it lost out to VHS, even thou betamax was better. Why? Sony thought because of lack of titles, so when they and phillips launched the audio cd, they bought up some record labels, to make sure they would have launch titles.

now sony records makes a sinful times more money than sony electonics. But sony electronics are still very good.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

awm
    Thanks
    Sony should go into construction given that they enjoy screwing people so much. More seriously I agree with everybody who says boycot Sony products. They have no respect for anyone and are avid and selfishe, even for a large company. It is so hypocritical for them to be suing people for not paying for music when they pay for from the artists. Oh, and did I mention I hated Sony.

P.S. I hate Sony

smtkr
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus
    Because they understand sony as a company, and see the destinction between sony electronics and sony records?

I've removed the comment here because, in my view, it's neither an opinion nor a statement of fact.

If it's anything at all, it's an out and out libel - with no merit - and, thus, something which we will not permit.

Bob Crabtree
    Last edited by Bob Crabtree; 02-05-2006 at 07:33 PM.

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    So, you're going to call me a retard because I've pre-ordered a PS3?

... *waits*
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Personally, while Sony are milking things for everything they can, thing are going to get worse until their is a massive shake up of the whole industry and the way it works.

Part of the problem is that digital music ditrbution should have decreased costs by removing the middle man, but its actually worse now than ever - you have the artist, record companies, distrubuters (i-tunes etc), hardware vendors and even ISP's getting in on the act for their own share.

This and DRM and poor standardisation in hardware and format support (can't spell for toffee tonight soz) etc is making the whole thing a right mess at the moment IMO.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sony are learning its not wise to bite the hand that feeds them...
    i'm sure there's a japanese proverb in there somewhere