Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CTS - 2006 :: Windows Vista to be delayed again?

Thanks

CTS - 2006 :: Windows Vista to be delayed again?

Is Vista - the latest version of Windows - going to be delayed even further? Well, we can't say for sure but, judging by the sting in the tail of the last presentation of the day given yesterday by Microsoft at the Computer Trade Show at Birmingham's NEC, the answer is probably, "yes".
    Find out more in this HEXUS.headline and let us know if you want Vista delayed so you can recover from your Christmas holiday.

Update - May 11, 14:28
    I've just updated that quote because someone else who sat through an earlier presentation has told me that, that time around, the MS speaker didn't infer that the mass-market launch would be later than Jan 2007, but merely said it would be sometime in 2007!
    Last edited by Bob Crabtree; 11-05-2006 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks
    • Mattus's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.2GHz (400x8)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Kingston HyperX 1066Mhz
      • Storage:
      • SSD: Crucial M4 64GB; HDD: Samsung 2TB, WD 640GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 8800GT 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • MS Windows 7 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP w2207
      • Internet:
      • Sky DSL
    MS knows that there's only so many times you can admit to being behind schedule before people start to get fed up.

It's a shame their new excuse is so lame.

Registered+
    Thanks
    i just wish that they would spend the time putting all the promised features that got dropped back into the os,(assuming that they can get them working).

Thanks
    Microsoft have obviously been taking lessons from the old British Rail. I.e. "leaves on the track" and "the wrong type of snow" causing train delays.

Wonder if the next delay will be because of un-auspicious planetary alignments ? or maybe consumers not being ready for the upgrade yet ?

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    I quite happy to wait for them to get it right - rather that than some half assed OS like Windows ME eh?
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Banned
    Thanks
    Just let them get on with the prodution of Vista and try to get it 99% working right. All this fuss about it is boring!

Syn
    Thanks
    I remeber from the film "The Aviator" that Howard Hughes waited a long time for his Hells angles movie everyone keept saying "release it already". The head of the project has said many times before Vista will be released when its ready, besides that there isnt much point to disscuss this.
    TAMGc 2

- Samsung 17" SM730BF 4ms TFT - Thermaltake Xaser Tsunami Black - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ - Asus A8R-32 Deluxe - Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2PT CL 2-3-3-6 - 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB S150 (1 For Windows, 1 For Games) - Western Digital Caviar 250GB SE16 (For everything else) - Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS - Sapphire Radeon X1900XT 512MB - Thermaltake PurePower 680W (+12v 14A) (+12v 23A) (+12v 15A) = 52A -

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn
    I remeber from the film "The Aviator" that Howard Hughes waited a long time for his Hells angles movie everyone keept saying "release it already". The head of the project has said many times before Vista will be released when its ready, besides that there isnt much point to disscuss this.
    The reason for discussing it - of course - is that Microsoft keeps on coming up with hard dates and then keeps on changing them.

That absolutely is worthy of comment.

If the choice is between a version of Vista that works well and one that works a lot less well, then people would clearly want the better version even if it meant waiting longer.

However, what remains a mystery to me is how MS can say - and say it still - that it's going to be shipping some versions of Vista in November.

If there are major technical issues causing a delay to the versions that were - according to MS - finally going to turn up in January, then, surely, there are going to be technical issues with those versions that get released earlier, in November?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crabtree
    The reason for discussing it - of course - is that Microsoft keeps on coming up with hard dates and then keeps on changing them.

That absolutely is worthy of comment.

If the choice is between a version of Vista that works well and one that works a lot less well, then people would clearly want the better version even if it meant waiting longer.

However, what remains a mystery to me is how MS can say - and say it still - that it's going to be shipping some versions of Vista in November.

If there are major technical issues causing a delay to the versions that were - according to MS - finally going to turn up in January, then, surely, there are going to be technical issues with those versions that get released earlier, in November?
    They can release version in November as these are going to be for businesses. Which do not use any of the media functions etc which is causing hte delay of the consumer version which is meant to be media heavy.

Cheers

Nikumba
    They come from the dark and slice your head off

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikumba
    They can release version in November as these are going to be for businesses. Which do not use any of the media functions etc which is causing hte delay of the consumer version which is meant to be media heavy.

Cheers

Nikumba
    Have you EVER, ANYWHERE, seen MS say this?

Or are you making an assumption or believing someone else's assumption?

Bob

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crabtree
    Have you EVER, ANYWHERE, seen MS say this?

Or are you making an assumption or believing someone else's assumption?

Bob
    Th medica cantre component is requioring approx 60% code re-write to intergrate it into Vista. The business version is not having the media centre component.

Some information for you:

Details of the Business version: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist.../business.mspx

Not a single mention of the meida centre component. A business doews not need the media centre so MS can ship Vista without it and allowing them to release in Q4 2006 and once the code re-write is done release it to the consumers in Q1 2007.

Nikumba
    They come from the dark and slice your head off

cml
    Thanks

MS Bashing - how origional....

As a small system/server builder I’m happy with the MS decision, and it’s not because I’m taking an extravagant vacation. I’m not rich, I make about what any experienced and skilled technical worker makes. Employees want time off around the holidays too and I’m not stopping them. I run a skeleton crew of a few guys who don’t care about the holidays.

Look at it this way:

Before Vista is released, ALL system parts manufacturers need to build drivers and get them certified through WHQL.

Then I’ve got to design new systems, new drive images, customize a new pre-installation kit, and go through the complex WHQL qualification process to get the “Designed for Windows Vista” logo.

Then, once I’ve got my systems done, I need to photograph them, build marketing materials, and start out advertising campaign.

Then I’ve got to start building the “platforms” (stock systems without HDD, CPU, RAM)

It’s a pain. A lot of prework needs to be done. I’d like to see the program running and Vista certification going on right now for a holiday season release, but if they miss Christmas, we’re better off waiting until late first quarter.

Furthermore, I was one of these geeks never missing the opportunity to bash Microsoft. I thought they were a monopoly, sloppy programmers, and the destroyer of small business. But I’ve got to say, now that I’ve been working with them for a few years, that now hardware or software manufacturer has done more to help our business than Microsoft.

Thanks
    • alsenior's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Jr x58-T3H6
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6 x 2GB ocz Gold
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1gb 4890 vapor-x xfire
      • PSU:
      • xfx 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian-li Pc7
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2208WFP
      • Internet:
      • 30mb Virgin media

in other news

duke nukem to be released the day after windows vista
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    What kind of emergency would need Windows 95? I think you are already in a bad state of emergency when your backup plan is Windows 95.
    Beginners guide to raid Beginners guide to raid post edition Hexus.Social - FAQ

MD
    Thanks
    • MD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 - i3570k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 256GB SSD's (Samsung and Crucial)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 640
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08e MATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell Flat Panel
      • Internet:
      • 60mb Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikumba
    Th medica cantre component is requioring approx 60% code re-write to intergrate it into Vista. The business version is not having the media centre component.

Some information for you:

Details of the Business version: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist.../business.mspx

Not a single mention of the meida centre component. A business doews not need the media centre so MS can ship Vista without it and allowing them to release in Q4 2006 and once the code re-write is done release it to the consumers in Q1 2007.

Nikumba
    So what does that mean for the Windows Vista Ultimate Edition?

After seeing it this morning at CTS, I was quietly impressed with it to be honest...
    Please do not message me about Scan Free shipping, I no longer work for HEXUS.net

Thanks
    If you read the article Vista is not delayed due to technical issues it is being delayed to allow distributors to recover from their Christmas holiday.
    Last edited by Xanon; 11-05-2006 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks
    Delays Delays Delays, doen't feel you with confidence does it, I know its "not technical" this time but i wonder if its a sugar coating for a delay, allowing them more time to tweak it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information