Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who else is going for the iPhone 4 tomorrow?

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Re: Who else is going for the iPhone 4 tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    It doesn't have *the* app store..it has its own android version but it's not the same, its a different store..
    Strange argument - you expect it to have the apple app store? TBH the way it was written you can't blame other from inferring that no app store exists period.

Surely the argument (if there is one) is that it doesn't have the range of the Apple app store (and even then it's an ever losing battle since android's market's growth has been nothing short of explosive).

Anyhoo... can't say i'm too fussed about the IP4 - a much needed upgrade for the ageing 3gs no doubt, but really doesn't have anything to pull me away from a desire. I'll go play with one in the apple store at the weekend nonetheless, just like i do with every new apple product.

I went android because I wanted all the slickness of the iPhone without Steve Jobs kicking me in the bollocks each and every day.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dangel View Post
    I went android because I wanted all the slickness of the iPhone without Steve Jobs kicking me in the bollocks each and every day.
    It's 'a feature' ...

So spud, you still going to get one tomorrow or go with Tesco? 3 haven't announced pricing yet but out of principal I'll never buy from them (or P4U)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    I realise this is a potentially suicidal question due to the anti-apple feeling on hexus..but..

Who else is going to be collecting their iPhone 4 tomorrow?....
    Not me, but it's nothing to do with anti-Apple feeling. With me, it's because all I want or need is a very basic phone. I don't want web browsing, don't want games, GPS, apps, camera, ring tones, MP3 ability or a washing machine add-on. All I want is to make and receive calls (and I mean voice, not text), and a decent simple-to-use interface, and with a few memories for frequently dialled calls, in a unit that preferably is as cheap and compact as I can get.

For me, a mobile phone is a convenience when I need it, and an intrusion and a pain in the proverbial he rest of the time. I want to have one available if and when it suits me, but I no not want to be at the beck and call of anyone that has the number, or decides on a random calling campaign. So .... I have a phone, but often don't bother to take it with me when I go out, and it sure isn't turned on when I'm at home. Sometimes, weeks at a time go past without me powering it up.

I know I'm the exception not the rule, and a lot of people regard a phone as a mandatory item, only slightly less important than air to breathe, and want the latest fashion icon, and good luck to them. But not me. I just want to be able to make and receive calls when it suits me, and to be in blissful isolation from 24/7 accessibility the rest of the time. So why on earth would I want the latest of any phone, let alone an iPhone?

The last phone I bought cost me £5 in an ASDA deal, and it does everything I want just fine. If it ever packs up, I'll be looking for a similar deal, not an iPhone.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Pffft luddite

BTW unwanted calls - there's an app for that (on Android)
    It's quite handy, stops the phone from ringing (at all), answers and immediately drops them. Perfect!
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dangel View Post
    Pffft luddite

BTW unwanted calls - there's an app for that (on Android)
    It's quite handy, stops the phone from ringing (at all), answers and immediately drops them. Perfect!
    Nah, just bored with mobile phones, and with being contactable when it suits other people, not when it suits me. Bear in mind, I'm one of those that has had a mobile phone since the days of them costing a flaming fortune for the cheapest, and at that, you got a brick connected to an analog BT Cellnet. I'm also one of those that has had colleagues at work ring me on a Sunday night to get information they've already been given, but are too flippin' lazy to bother to find it in their emails. As I work on contract, I'm paid to provide such information in the mandated (email) way, but not to be a helpdesk. I turn my mobile on when I need to, and otherwise, don't.

The mobile phone is, to me, a wonderful tool for communication and, simultaneously, a right pain in the behind. Overall, as I have said on here before, I value my privacy quite highly in all sorts of ways, and while a mobile can be a great boon, it can also be highly intrusive. It can be very inconvenient, as well as very convenient. Giving clients a number that is turned on when I'm paid to be contractable is one thing, but being contactable (like when one bloke had a problem at about 2:30 AM) whenever it suits them is entirely another thing. On that occasion, by the way, I let the wife answer it, and her reply to him would have blistered the paint off a battleship at 250 metres.

Sometimes, being in touch is great. Sometimes, being able to choose not to be is great, and the bulk of the time, I choose not to.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Nah, just bored with mobile phones, and with being contactable when it suits other people, not when It suits me. Bear in mind, I'm one of those that has had a mobile phone since the days of them costing a flaming fortune for the cheapest, and at that, you got a brick connected to an analog BT Cellnet. I'm also one of those that has had colleagues at work sing me on a Sunday night to get information they've already been given, but are too flippin' lazy to bother to find in their emails. As I work on contract, I'm paid to provide such information in the mandated (email) way, but not be a helpdesk. I turn my mobile on when I need to, and otherwise, don't.

The mobile phone is, to me, a wonderful tool for communication and, simultaneously, a right pain in the behind. Overall, as I have said on here before, I value my privacy quite highly in all sorts of ways, and while a mobile can be a great boon, it can also be highly intrusive. It can be very inconvenient, as well as very convenient. Giving clients a number that is turned on when I'm paid to be contractable is one thing, but being contactable (like when one bloke had a problem at about 2:30 AM) whenever it suits them is entirely another thing. On that occasion, by the way, I let the wife answer it, and her reply to him would have blistered the paint off a battleship at 250 metres.

Sometimes, being in touch is great. Sometimes, being able to choose not to be is great, and the bulk of the time, I choose not to.
    Oddly, I don't use my phone all that much for calls - mostly for texting and a lot for internet (it's very good at this). I love, for example, lying in bed and read rss feeds with Newsroom (loverly app for RSS) and I find sat nav (and localised searching) rather priceless when out and about. But each to their own.

Of course, with modern phones they are immeasurably configurable - as indicated you can block unwanted callers hassle-free - but it's also possible to schedule times of day where the phone goes dark (silent or radio stack off completely). It's even possible to define people who are allowed to break through this barrier for emergencies. Clever stuff. Not that i'm trying to sell you on the idea - far from it - more pointing out the stuff i rather enjoy. This is especially true as i'm a natural born tinkerer - and hence what i do for a living. I like to fiddle, explore, develop - i'm endlessly curious.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    It's 'a feature' ...

So spud, you still going to get one tomorrow or go with Tesco? 3 haven't announced pricing yet but out of principal I'll never buy from them (or P4U)
    Yeah I will stick with getting one tomorrow - the tesco deal is not bad but I need more minutes than that..and I like the features like visual voicemail which I get from o2.

Tesco pricing is good though no doubt about that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    ..... a washing machine add-on.
    Largely agree with you - but if someone came up with an auto-put-clothes-in-the-washing-machine-and-stick-them-on-to-dry "app" - even I may be tempted.

Thanks

They're the easy bits, it's the ironing that I hope the iPhone5 can do..

Thanks

Depends how hot it runs I guess....?

Thanks

In that case should I have said the Desire2 then?

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

The new iPhone is tempting, it's between that, the desire and hopefully a UK network will have the new Droid (Droid 2) as I like phones with proper QWERTY keyboards
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

Thanks

I've been here all night splitting my time between watching Terry Prachetts Going Postal, attempting to learn HTML & deciding on a phone (I've got a spreadsheet & everything!)

Still torn over which phone,

Desire would cost £414 over 18months (600mins), iPhone would cost £633 over the same period & only 300mins (although I wouldn't even use 100 but thats not the point!)
    Tesco would be £589 but only give me 12months so if I add say £10/month for a SIM only that takes it to £659 as I assume I'd not be changing phones after a year!

I'm mad at myself for even having to think about this, the figures are so swayed in favour of the Desire it's unreal but I still want to walk into the Vodafone shop tomorrow & get an iPhone!!! Grrrrr!

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

Might be worth waiting on the iPhone

Apparently holding the metal in 2 places kills the signal, literally
    http://gizmodo.com/5571171/iphone-4-...e-antenna-band

The data is the most worrying one IMO
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

SiM
    Thanks
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    Just worked it out...

18month contract, 300min, unlim txt, 1GB data, Wifi with openzone,

£169 for phone
    £28/month
    = £673 / 18 = £37.40/month average...hmmmm

The Desire (on Voda) is only free on the same tariff or above so the iPhone is only £169 more expensive overall, I reckon that's gotta be worth it?
    Hmmm, Desire cost me a total of £325 for 12 months on a comparable contract... Less than half the price. It's a no brainer tbh. Shame the £325 offer is no longer available.

G4Z
    Thanks
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2

Quote Originally Posted by Bunjiweb View Post
    Again, I'll believe it when I see it, The 3G and 3GS both quoted much longer battery life than either managed to achieve. I can't see 4 days being realistic with playing games or videos. I am now quite happily getting 2 days out of my Desire and I think this is plenty to expect from a smartphone that I am actually making full use of.
    Got to pull you on this one mate, I am a desire owner as well and I love it but I am looking at mine after a full days (no wifi or bluetooth enabled and no taskiller, screen is at 100% brightness tho) use including about 15 mins GPS and a bit of browsing and a couple of phone calls and its on 38%.

There's no way it will go all tomorrow at that usage. I have had this a couple of months now and it does require a charge every day unfortunately and its the only gripe I have with it although for the functionality it provides I think its a very worthwhile trade off.
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information