Thread: Ipad2 or Laptop

On a Tactical Vessel in search of an Invisible Submarine
    Thanks

Ipad2 or Laptop

Hi , i had a kobo vox tablet and i finally managed to get a full refund on it , so im contemplating whether to get another Tablet or just go for a laptop.
    I want to be able to read pdfs when im about and to watch movies in bed and browse internet read emails etc. If i went for laptop id prob play stuff like blood bowl on it or diablo 3.
    I ended up really hating kobo because of the ****ty battery life and issues turning it on. I have iphone 3gs and im quite happy with it for phone music etc but its not brilliant for entertainment or pdfs or video etc so i was considering sticking with apple , as a bonus i was thinking i could Games Workshop army books on ipad to save carrying all the books with me, same for pdfs for roleplaying books.

My question is Why would i get Ipad over say a laptop , cause you can get a decent laptop for just under 300 pounds or over so i was considering whether getting ipad is worth the hassle having to deal with everything being drmed . Can anyone here with ipad 2/ipad retina share their experiences compared to a laptop to help me figure out what to get?
    Thanks.

P.S: also looks like a more decent one in terms of having space/cellular connection is like 500 pound for ipad.
    Last edited by Skaramush; 13-03-2013 at 10:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Re: Ipad2 or Laptop

Get a laptop they are cheaper then iPads with everything you need on it. but if you are set on an ipad try StudentComputers as they do good prices on iPads

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

For what you say it's for, why iPad and not far cheaper but still decent Android tablets? You could then pretty much get tablet and laptop for the price of an Ipad .... or you could have at the price I got a Samsung 10" tablet for anyway, though I did time it right for an outstanding deal.

Thanks

Ipad2 is a good option for less work. They are easy to carry and a great tool for surfing the web, checking e-mail and Facebook, playing games, reading digital magazines and books, and enjoying movies and music.
    But if you have to do a lot of work daily, then a laptop is better option.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by herbetrade View Post
    Ipad2 is a good option for less work. They are easy to carry and a great tool for surfing the web, checking e-mail and Facebook, playing games, reading digital magazines and books, and enjoying movies and music.
    But if you have to do a lot of work daily, then a laptop is better option.
    Basically this, I have both a Nexus 10 and a laptop, and for general slobbing on the sofa/watching movies in bed type stuff its great, however, I wouldn't want to be without access to a 'proper' computer. If you've got a desktop PC then maybe just a tablet would work, but otherwise laptop.

Thanks

How about a Nexus 9? The new Lollipop OS looks fantastic and gets some brilliant reviews.

As some people have said if you have access to another machine to carry out the odd task that you cannot complete on the laptop then definitely get an iPad or perhaps Android tablet. If not then consider the laptop as a primary machine.

Registered+
    Thanks

they are two completely difference use cases - tablets are better for consumption / laptops for creation

Registered+
    Thanks

Even with owning an iPad Pro, I still don't find the iPad to be advanced enough yet to be a true replacement for a laptop. Too many apps are lacking many of the functions found in their desktop counterparts.

Thread Information