Thread: iOS 7

Spreadie

iOS 7

So, how are you getting on? Was it a seamless update for you, or a complete frikkin nightmare; like it was for me?

I have it working now, and I like the new swipe up shortcuts to things like wifi and brightness controls (old news to those of us familiar with jailbreaking) - but I couldn't help thinking, "what took them so long?".

Anyhoo, the update borked my phone and wouldn't even let me restore from an earlier backup. A mate suggested I set up itunes on another machine and try again, which worked - insofar as I had a working phone - but the initial attempt played hell with my backups, so I lost half my apps as well as all my music and calendar events. Fortunately, it did retain my contacts.

For the TLDR crowd, I like the new look, but the update process was bloody abysmal.

I hope you fare better than I.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: iOS 7

Installed on my work iPhone 5 yesterday, I like the new monkey island-esque ringtone

New lockscreen and taskbar are better but then I prefer android anyway and those parts are android "inspired".

Needed to remove and re-install some apps (and as I only have work-related apps on this phone, there isn't many of them installed!) - not a good sign when 20% of your apps need re-installing.

Touchscreen precision seems to be no better, my main gripe as I find it near impossible to click the play button on a voice message.

Overall, pretty un-inspired but then I am not a fan of overpriced apple kit anyway.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Spreadie

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Overall, pretty un-inspired but then I am not a fan of overpriced apple kit anyway.
    A rather odd statement to make, given that the update doesn't actually cost any money.

Thanks

Put it on two iPhone 4s, neither upgraded straight way, gave an error then I had to restore to the downloaded firmware.
    Went OK, took ages to get all the apps back on and a few (the same ones on each phone) refused to sync so had to be deleted and reinstalled. Otherwise it wasn't eventful, doesn't give me anything I'd not had before with my jailbreak. 'Better' than iOS 6 though overall if a little harsh on the eyes sometimes.

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

Upgraded three iPhones and two iPads without a hitch (if you disregard the problems confirming the updates validity) and think its great. iOS 7 is slick and neat - what more do you want? iOS 6 made your iPhone seem new. iOS 7 does the same.
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Thanks

The only problem I have is my data cable, I now always get a 'This isn't a genuine cable and may cause damage to your device' warning every time I try charging the phone!

Thanks

Just updated my dad's 4s with ios7. But after doing so had an email saying his apple id had been used to set-up an iphone 4s, so I assume that was due to the ios7 update?

ios7 is a little faster its seems but not keen on the look really.

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

Yes, it was due to the iOS 7 update. I got it too.
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Registered+
    Thanks

I'm not sure which is worse, Xcode 5 or iOS 7.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noodles2k View Post
    I'm not sure which is worse, Xcode 5 or iOS 7.
    Thank you for your detailed and comprehensive review, which will be invaluable to those with no experience with either operating system.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Thank you for your detailed and comprehensive review, which will be invaluable to those with no experience with either operating system.
    Ha. iOS 7 is iOS 6 with the the fisher price looks removed (good), poorly designed tables (bad!), everything flattened and grey (ok I guess) and floating icons that give you a headache (bleugh). The new task manager is a lot nicer, very androidy, as is the lock screen and the springboard too. The "control center" is also androidy, but badly thought out because it drops-up from the bottom of the screen with an upward swipe. Which is perfect, because any time you want to scroll down the screen it comes up instead.

Oddly enough it feels like Android, which is great because I love Android, but it still has Apple's walled garden because no-ones jailbroken it yet. It does seem to run smoother, and gives better battery too.

Overall I like it a lot more than iOS 6, but it still has a way to go before I'll be swapping my Nexus 7 for an iPad mini. I give it Meh+.

From a dev's point of view it's hell.

Spreadie

OMG! A thread necromancer! Run!

I ditched the iPhone in March for a Moto G. Android is much less painful.

Thanks

Does your software works with my iPhone 6 plus, iOS 9.2 ? I need to recover my deleted messages.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Junnilly View Post
    Does your software works with my iPhone 6 plus, iOS 9.2 ? I need to recover my deleted messages.
    You have asked this in other forums over a period of time, and received answers. Perhaps you should be considering using the iCloud password manager.

However this topic has run its course, and the OP no longer uses the software in question, I have closed the thread
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thread Information