Thread: Lil bit on technology..

Thanks

Lil bit on technology..

Hi ya, I was just wondering if someone who might be into this stuff explain a bit about UMTS. Does it have any features/advantage over Wi-Fi other than the fact that it is (presumably) less dependant on Wi-Fi hotzone coverage?

Thanks
    UMTS is the 3G standard for Europe and operates at up to around 384kb/s.

The main advantages are the range (typical cellular mast ranges) and lower power consumption.

WiFi and UMTS aren't really competiting technologies. WiFi is for home/office use and UMTS is for mobile use.

Thanks
    Thanks. But how about the combination of Wi-Fi and VoIP though?
    If Wi-Fi support makes it down to a larger number of phones, and the coverage improves, would it not potentially threaten UMTS?

Actually, is there any estimate as to how UMTS is going to be charged?
    (Flatrate, per minutes, per bandwidth etc.). And do all 3G phones today support that standard?

DsW
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TooNice
    Thanks. But how about the combination of Wi-Fi and VoIP though?
    If Wi-Fi support makes it down to a larger number of phones, and the coverage improves, would it not potentially threaten UMTS?

Actually, is there any estimate as to how UMTS is going to be charged?
    (Flatrate, per minutes, per bandwidth etc.). And do all 3G phones today support that standard?
    Wi-Fi will never really threaten 3G although it may be a viable alternative inside airport terminals or at certain locations in busy cities.

Think about the range of a Wi-fi access point compared to the range of a 3G cell (we're talking yards compared to kilometres). To have >90% wi-fi coverage across the UK, for example, would need a ridiculous amount of wi-fi spots.

BT are talking about launching a wi-fi capable handset next year (see this article) but the technology is still very new and yet to be tried in anger.

As far as tarrifs are concerned - just look at the 3 or Vodafone websites.

The 3G phones around the world today fall into two camps W-CDMA (Europe and Japan) and CDMA2000 (US). So much for a global standard, eh?!

This article has a bit more info.

cheers,
    dave

Thanks
    Interesting article..

I have one question though, on my nokia7600 I have the option to be always connected via GPRS - does this mean calls and everything else will go through gprs instead of the normal 2g circuit switched network? If it can, where do I find the option to enable/disable it?
    I assumed at first, that GPRS could only be used for web based services... I also found a java app capable of using GPRS to send text messages, costing only 2p, instead of 10p per text..

GPRS (2.5g) is more expensive, I assume, for calls, @ 2.35/mb from o2. whats the data rate used for voice on 2g? which works out cheaper?

I read the data rate on 2g was 9.6Kb/s, is that including voice, or just data?

Although my 7600 supports UTMS I think its far too expensive (on 3 anyway). I doubt I will use the extra features - video calls are the only NEW feature iirc (which this cant do anyway) and the rest of the features can just have faster connections.
    3G seems a bit pointless for now, or did I miss something?

Also, when are other UK networks likely to switch on there 3g, I know o2 hasnt yet. As my phone is constantly searching for o2's non-existant 3g network, and will be disabled when it is turned on, I am wondering when I will need to get my 7600 properly flashed, so that I will be able to use it when o2 do turn on 3g...

DsW
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |SilentDeath|
    Interesting article..

I have one question though, on my nokia7600 I have the option to be always connected via GPRS - does this mean calls and everything else will go through gprs instead of the normal 2g circuit switched network?
    GPRS is for data only. You can keep a GPRS session open, and in theory it will save time when you next transfer data, however in practice it doesn't take long to establish a session. Being connected to a GPRS session is NOT the same as keeping a voice call open. Voice calls do not use GPRS to transfer data. GPRS is somewhat analagous to an ADSL connection on your home phone line.

whats the data rate used for voice on 2g? which works out cheaper? I read the data rate on 2g was 9.6Kb/s, is that including voice, or just data?
    Standard data rate on GSM (2G) is 9.6kbps, however High Speed Circuit Switched Data (HSCSD) capable handsets, together with a network that supports it, can do a blistering 14.4kbps! Again, voice calls are carried seperately from data.

Although my 7600 supports UTMS I think its far too expensive (on 3 anyway). I doubt I will use the extra features - video calls are the only NEW feature iirc (which this cant do anyway) and the rest of the features can just have faster connections.
    3G seems a bit pointless for now, or did I miss something?
    Correct. Operators are struggling to convince the public why they need to migrate to 3G. Even more so since the operators are taking the opportunity to put prices up at the same time. Video calls? Maybe quite cool, but apart from that 2/2.5G provides Joe Public with all he/she needs right now. Its just a matter of time though. The facts are that 2G will eventually be switched off, 3G prices will come down and handsets will improve. No doubt people will start using video calls and other features as well. I can see businesses benefitting from the increased data rates for employees on the move - which is why it was a wise move for Vodafone to release the 3G PC Card before any 3G handsets were ready.

Also, when are other UK networks likely to switch on there 3g, I know o2 hasnt yet.
    I think O2, Orange and T-Mobile have said early next year, which could mean anything in Q1/Q2 (or even Q3!).

cheers,
    dave

Thanks
    I have a 7600 on 3. When I go in to read the news it reckons it's creating a GPRS connection. If I'm in a 3G reception area* then it should be faster to download the content than when it's using O2's 2.5G network?

Rich :¬)

*(which, surprisingly, I seem to be most of the time, I rarely have problems connecting or dropped calls)

DsW
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rave
    I have a 7600 on 3. When I go in to read the news it reckons it's creating a GPRS connection. If I'm in a 3G reception area* then it should be faster to download the content than when it's using O2's 2.5G network?

Rich :¬)

*(which, surprisingly, I seem to be most of the time, I rarely have problems connecting or dropped calls)
    If the phone is indeed creating a GPRS connection then its using the 2.5G network. However, the phone may just be indicating that its initiating a data connection of some sort (2.5G or 3G).

If your data connection is using the 3G network then your downloads should, in theory, be faster than a 2.5G GPRS connection yes. Theoretical maximium is 384kbps (under optimal conditions) however I would be surprised if you get anything close to 100kbps.

cheers,
    dave

Thread Information