Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kindle question

Registered+
    Thanks

kindle question

i don't own a kindle, so i don't even know if kindle is considered a tablet. perhaps it is because of it's shape and size.

but yeah, i'm thinking about getting one. i'd like to get back into reading. i'm into various fan fiction universes. i've purchased quite a library of PDF files full of fan fiction. my question about kindle, am i able to transfer these PDFs i've bought to a kindle if i were to purchase one?

via usb or something?

Drum & Bass Till I Die deejayburnout's Avatar
    Thanks
    • deejayburnout's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 2600 at stock speeds ( for now)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x Corsair 8GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 128GB M.2 PCIe x2 NVMe SSD, 120GB Kingston SV200, 2 x 1TB WD Drive, 2 x 2TB WD Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix RX 580 8G Gaming OC Edition
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 750 Watt
      • Case:
      • NZXT Noctis 450
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM65-P Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 72mb Down 19mb up - Vodafone

Re: kindle question

I think you can. Might be worth checking out the kindle website and it will detail what file types it can read.

You can also convert the files to epub if needed with some software.
    Better to Burn out than Fade Away
    Check out my Youtube channel - Crispy Crisperson

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

I've got one of the older, monochrome Kindles, & it does indeed allow you to read PDFs, although the quality of the text is generally dependent on that of the PDF itself - some are obviously scanned text, which can look a bit poor. There's a great freeware program for managing your eBook library, called Calibre:

http://calibre-ebook.com

It allows for easy conversion between eBook formats, although I must admit, I've not tried it with PDFs.

You can set up the Kindle so that eBooks you buy on the Amazon website are sent straight to your device, which is dangerously quick & easy in conjunction with single-click purchases! Transferring files is also easily done by USB from within Calibre, or drag & drop from the desktop. Amazon also do a nifty little utility called 'Amazon Send To Kindle', which integrates into Windows Explorer, & allows eBooks to be sent via wifi in just a couple of clicks. I'm probably sounding a bit like an advert for Amazon, but I do like the Kindle system
    Last edited by MrJim; 20-07-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks
    • g8ina's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3.
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD system, 250GB SSD Data + 2TB data, + 8TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6870
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

I have a similar library and have converted all of my PDFs to txt files. much easier to manipulate, change font size etc. cant do that with PDFs - it's fixed.
    Cheers, David

Registered+
    Thanks

oh...

well thanks for the info. but i wasn't really THAT concerned about the format of the ebook, epub, txt, whatever's fine. i'm just mainly concerned if i'm able to transfer files from PC to kindle, and aren't strictly limited to only ebooks purchased in the kindle bookstore... or something

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

You can put just about any text file, of any (major) format, including non-Kindle ebooks, on a Kindle, but you MIGHT have to format-convert it first.

Later Kindles handle PDF files, without needing converting, but how well depends on the file.

The program mentioned earlier, Calibre, will handle almost any file format conversion, as well as both uploading to and deleting from a Kindle, making it far easier to manage content.

However, many commercial forms of ebook files are digitally locked, with DRM, Digital Rights Management, designed to stop people using files where they weren't approved for. To convert and use such files, say from Barnes and Noble, for example, you'll need to (illegally, in most countries) remove the DRM. Calibre cannot do this, but you can get software plug-ins for it than can, easily and seamlessly.

However, we do not permit discussion of illegally removing DRM, etc, on HEXUS, so if you want details of that, it'll have to come from elsewhere. 30 seconds with any half-decent search engine will tell you where.

Registered+
    Thanks

no never really been big on that whole part of the internet. i come from a family that had multiple bookshelves full of VHS tapes. i continue that lifestyle with racks and stacks of DVDs and now a growing bluray collection.

i don't imagine the fan fiction ebooks have DRM or whatever, because i'm pretty sure they're just made by community members on fan fiction forums trying to make a little money doing what they love, writing about stuff that they love.

not 100% on that though, but thanks for the useful advice anyhow. have another thank.

actually i couldn't figure out how to thank you...
    Last edited by noight; 20-07-2014 at 04:24 PM.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I don't know about fan fiction, but I'd suspect you're likely to be right about DRM. It's mainly bigger commercial operations using it, but some small publishers or even individual self-publishers do. If people want their books circulated, though, and perhaps rely on voluntary donations, then I doubt they would.

It's all a bit pointless, though, as even big publishers can't really stop people removing DRM, if those people are determined enough. For instance, I wouldn't be happy about building a library of Kindle books, then having to lose them all if my next e-reader happened to be a Nook, or whatever.

Registered+
    Thanks

yeah a lot of decisions big companies make on their products as far as restrictions go is mind blowing sometimes...

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing

Option I went for was to get a nook, unlock it and install android apps. Gives me the ability to do kindle, nook, or any other store on a device with e-ink screen so battery lasts. But for pdfs I would probably go for a standard android device.

Registered+
    Thanks

i'm not really big on modern, modern technology. i don't even have a smart phone... i just want something basic to get back into reading.

i figure this might be an ideal buy:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Ereader.../dp/B007HCCNJU

it's also inexpensive compared to others in the same market

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

It's cheaper, but for good reason.

First, less memory so holds fewer books. Of course, what it does hold may well be enough.

Also, the "paperwhite" modrls have built-in backlight, so can be read in any ambient light .... like in bed, at night, with no lights needed, that might disturb your partner .... if there is one.

The standard Kindle is, unlike TVs or laptos, etc, entirely non-trsnsmissive. The screen outputs NO light, so you need a reasonable amount of ambient light to be able to read it at all. Imagine trying to read a paper book in pitch black. That's what standard Kindle are like. But the 'paperwhite' models are fine to read with no other light in the room.

I seem to remember one or two other limitations too, but don't remember what they are.

So I guess the question is .... do those factors matter, and if so, enough to justify the higher cost?

Registered+
    Thanks

no i don't really mind the lighting situation, don't really have any significant others to worry about being bothered by lights.

i like to keep backups, so i'd most likely be keeping my ebooks available on an SD card. which i think is available in kindle...? i THINK. hope so too.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I've got three Kindles, of different generations, none of which have any external memory slots, never mind SD card. I guess it's possible some models do, but if so, it's news to me.

IIRC, battery life is better on the dearer models too, but if you end up charging once every 3-4 weeks instead of 6-8 weeks, well, who really cares?

The one you pointed out might be best, if backlighting isn't of interest, but if you're in the US (I'm UK) just be careful not to get one of the ad-subsidised models by mistake, unless you're happy with that.

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by noight View Post
    i like to keep backups, so i'd most likely be keeping my ebooks available on an SD card. which i think is available in kindle...? i THINK. hope so too.
    It's easy to keep backups of your books on disk, but Saracen's right, none of the Kindles have SD card slots. Like Google & their Nexus products, I think Amazon want to encourage users to use their Cloud storage, rather than local storage. It's worth remembering that if you do buy any eBooks from Amazon, they are always available to download again from their website, if you do delete them from the Kindle.

I don't think anyone's mentioned that there are versions of the Kindle with built-in 3G connectivity, which means you can access Amazon & buy books pretty much anywhere where there's a 3G signal. You don't pay anything extra for the downloads either (I think), but the Kindles with 3G are a bit more expensive (the alternative are wifi only models).

Registered+
    Thanks

well, i'm not so sure how much i'll be buying books. like i've said, i'm down with fan fiction, and i'm pretty hooked on their little ebooks i get from their communities.

does amazon support adding these ebooks?

Thread Information