7 8.75%
  • 4" to 4.7"

40 50.00%
  • 4.7" to 5.5"

31 38.75%
  • HELLO. YEAH I'M THE LIBRARY

2 2.50%
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [Poll] Are bigger smartphones and phablets appealing to you?

Thanks

Question [Poll] Are bigger smartphones and phablets appealing to you?

I have a feeling that the trend for bigger screens is coming from Asia and other emerging markets. So the reason for this poll is to find out how wrong am I
    Last edited by semo; 08-09-2014 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Added Poll to title

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: Are bigger smartphones and phablets appealing to you?

I would like my next phone to be a bit smaller, pockets are only so big.

Thanks

Yes and no. I had a play around on a Galaxy Note before and I thought it was a breath of fresh air, the extra space you get to work with was surprisingly pleasing. However I'm currently using a Lumia 620 which serves me fine and I've never bought a large screen phone because I don't need to spend so much on a phone so... I guess that's a no!

Thanks

The "definition" of a phablet seems to have shifted recently, but the fact is, humans have not evolved to have bigger hands in the last few years so IMO, a phablet is anything bigger 4.7". I think that only the highly dexterous and large folk can use today's phones single handed.

Don't forget to vote!

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: [Poll] Are bigger smartphones and phablets appealing to you?

The more I use my phones for surfing the more I want a larger screen, its that simple really.

Smart phone history:

T-Mobile Pulse (Put me off using smartphone for surfing to be honest)
    HTC Desire HD (Started to become fairly usable to surf)
    HTC One (Surfing now pretty good and use it a lot)

Next phone will be slightly bigger again though, both for surfing and possibly as a VR headset
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Fir me, the ideal is the largest I can get that's still consistent with it being a phone I xan use as a phone, I.e. small enough to be comfortable to hold, use as a phone and carry. So, around 4.3" to 4.5" for me.

That said, I don't really have any interest in, and almost no use for, a smartphone at all, so it's pretty irrelevant what I think. If I were to buy one, which is doubtful, MotoG size is about right.

Thanks

But where does it stop? Are today's smart TVs going to become tomorrow's phablets?

I just think that if you have enough space to carry a 5.5" phone, you probably have enough space for a smaller phone and a 7" tablet. I know that's not everyone, but at the moment it seems there's no choice (you either like OnePlus One or you're a freak)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by semo View Post
    But where does it stop? Are today's smart TVs going to become tomorrow's phablets?

I just think that if you have enough space to carry a 5.5" phone, you probably have enough space for a smaller phone and a 7" tablet. I know that's not everyone, but at the moment it seems there's no choice (you either like OnePlus One or you're a freak)
    IMHO, it's an individual choice. For me, a 7" tablet is a joke. It's too small for a tablet for me, and way too big for a phone. But your mileage, and preferences, may vary.

A phone, on the other hand, has to be small, light and convenient enough to carry around easily or it becomes a nuisance not a convenience.

And that's why we have, and I expect will continue to have, a range of sizes and options, because it's not a 'one size fits all' issue. The optimum size for me may well be anything but optimum for you.

Until someone comes up with a device as small as a compact phone that can transform, unfold, whatever, into a medium or large tablet, different options will always suit different folks with different needs and preferences. And, for that matter, different size hands.

Spreadie

Around 4.5" is the sweet spot for me.

On the go I can happily make do with my phone, and the tablet is fine for lounging around the house or having it stuck on the kitchen wall when I'm cooking.

I'm a fan of my Nexus 7 but I agree with you on size, Saracen, because I sometimes wish I'd bought a Nexus 10.

Thanks

But there is no choice. The only current mid range 4.5" smartphone is the Samsung S5 mini but that phone's performance lags behind Snapdragon 400 phones, yet costs £350. If you want high end and still stay small then the only other choice is the Sony Z3c but it doesn't have a removable battery or storage. And don't think it has Qi either.

The choice is going away and it is being squeezed out by ever growing phones. Even the aforementioned phones have become bigger in their latest incarnation. LG no longer have small phones. Motorola doesn't do removable battery and their latest phones are 5" and bigger anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
    Around 4.5" is the sweet spot for me.

On the go I can happily make do with my phone, and the tablet is fine for lounging around the house or having it stuck on the kitchen wall when I'm cooking.

I'm a fan of my Nexus 7 but I agree with you on size, Saracen, because I sometimes wish I'd bought a Nexus 10.
    So far the poll results show this as well but the phones just don't exist (unless you're happy with buying last gen). Choice is even further limited if you want a user replaceable battery and external storage.

As for tablets, they are meant to be big (and currently, there are a variety of size options) so I don't have a problem with them and that's not what the poll is about.

Spreadie

As for tablets, they are meant to be big (and currently, there are a variety of size options) so I don't have a problem with them and that's not what the poll is about.
    I disagree. I think that's what you can infer from the OP - Large screen phone or smaller phone and separate tablet.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

So far the poll results show this as well but the phones just don't exist (unless you're happy with buying last gen). Choice is even further limited if you want a user replaceable battery and external storage.
    That is why when my contract last came up I went for a SIM only deal. Nothing interested me, I just kept what I had.

My HTC One-X (slightly too big for my liking, but best I could find at the time) does not have a user replaceable battery, but you can buy them and I would suspect that most people on a tech forum like this would after watching a couple of how-to YouTube videos decide that it looks doable. My battery life is getting down to just lasting the day, so I might find out soon as if it can't get through a working day the phone is pretty much worthless so no risk trying eh?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
    I disagree. I think that's what you can infer from the OP - Large screen phone or smaller phone and separate tablet.
    Sorry, it wasn't meant to read like this. The topic is about the trend of smartphones getting bigger and becoming phablets. Phablets describe the grey area between a smartphone and tablet so more and more phones seem to be becoming phablets

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    That is why when my contract last came up I went for a SIM only deal. Nothing interested me, I just kept what I had.

My HTC One-X (slightly too big for my liking, but best I could find at the time) does not have a user replaceable battery, but you can buy them and I would suspect that most people on a tech forum like this would after watching a couple of how-to YouTube videos decide that it looks doable. My battery life is getting down to just lasting the day, so I might find out soon as if it can't get through a working day the phone is pretty much worthless so no risk trying eh?
    Don't get me wrong, I can tinker but since batteries are not standard across all phones, we are reliant on the phone makers to release them into the retail. If they are not meant to be user replaceable, the manufacturer generally don't release retail SKUs. And since most people don't bother with replacing things they aren't meant to replace, the after market manufacturers don't bother releasing batteries either. That's not the case with all phones but it is generally a problem. In your case, can you buy a genuine HTC One X battery? I would guess that it isn't cost effective so you'll probably need to go to eBay and buy some no brand replacement so not ideal. On the other hand, phones like the HTC Sensation and all the Galaxy phones have a much better choice of either genuine or reputable after market options (like Anker).

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I keep mine in a belt holster, so although my current (HTC Desire Z) is under 4" I could cope up to about 4.7" quite easily.

I would like a larger screen, mainly for playing games as most of them have tiny controls that my big mitts just fluff.
    I also prefer a thicker phone (mine has a physical keyboard).

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

of course, one issue with this poll is that it assumes you want a phone that's all touch screen My last touch phone was 4.0", my current one is 3.2" plus physical qwerty keyboard.

But based on the fact that you're asking about screen-only smartphones, I've yet to see any point to anything bigger than a 4" phone. I've got pretty large hands and ergonomically anything much bigger than that is getting beyond one-hand-holdable. But tbh I think the bigger ergonomic issue is how thin phones are getting now. Because they're all so skinny it can be quite hard to find a position where you can hold them securely without your fingers getting in the way of the screen.

As to larger devices, I find 7" perfect for a small tablet (my playbook is a lovely size to carry around), and probably 12" plus for something larger - I had a 10" tablet once, but it really felt like a curious in-between size: it wasn't that portable/handleable, but it also wasn't big enough to feel like a usefully productive device - it felt like it should have been a good size, but ultimately it was always a let-down one way or the other.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information