Thread: Need urgent suggestion on a cheap android tablet

Thanks

Need urgent suggestion on a cheap android tablet

I have a couple of hours to decide on a super budget Android tablet (no UK based special offers, something that is just marketed as a budget tablet from the get go).

The only requirements are:

- Must be fully functional Android OS (not necessarily Oreo, just nothing too obsolete)

- 8 inch screen or above. It might be used by people who may not have the best eyesight.

- Wi-Fi (best reception possible, though I guess they shouldn't differ much) and SIM card.

- If it comes with a custom skin, something that is as easy to use as possible is important (might be used by people who aren't very quick with smartphones).

- Needs to be reliable, not known to have any major unsolved issues.

And.. that is pretty much all. It will only really be used for receiving notification for orders and perhaps viewing some orders.

No gaming, no HD videos.

I am leaning towards the Lenovo Tab4, with the Huawei MediaPad Lite M3 as second choice (or whichever can be found for less, but I am up for any quick suggestions).

Cheers.

Thanks
    • g8ina's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3.
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD system, 250GB SSD Data + 2TB data, + 8TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6870
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

Re: Need urgent suggestion on a cheap android tablet

The Lenovo are all good, but a lot dont actually implement the SIM card slot, make sure yours does. If it werent for that aspect Id recommend the Amazon Fire HD which is what replaced my lenovo Tab when it died. Less than 80 quid for a 32GB machine !
    Cheers, David

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

I'd avoid the Amazon Fire range if you want full Android functionality (unless you are willing to flash it). The OS is restricted, apps are limited and the android version is usually an out of date version. I personally love my Fire HDx but the quality of the hardware has dropped on recent Fire tablets. They don't do a high end one anymore but my 7" HDx is superb as long as you're willing to accept the limitations of the OS. I've bought into the Amazon ecosystem quite a lot and so I find the advantages of their modifications to the OS to outweigh the limitations. Now, with those limitations and the relatively meagre hardware, I'd avoid it. That said, if you're sure you only want to do relatively mediocre tasks, the Amazon tablets have the following in their favour; the hardware is expected to be subsidised by sales of books, videos, etc and so you tend to get good value, the updates are still coming many years later (slow rate but still happening), MOST stuff works and the software is actually pretty good and very easy to use.

Myself, I'd not touch one of the new ones but for you, it might be an option.

Also, I dunno if the Amazon tabets have a SIM on the latest ones. Mine does but the whole range has changed. I usually just tether it to my phone which is far more useful for me.

Thanks

Amazon Fire range isn't really an option. For one they do not operate, nor have any presence where I presently am.

Also, I have been asked to specifically get an Android tablet (might need to run a custom app that runs on Android to take those orders). Also I probably won't have time to fiddle with it before my leave, so I want it to be pretty much ready to go out of the box.

Thanks for the head-up about the SIM though, it seems like the one I was looking at didn't have one. Given the purpose of the device (to be used exclusively indoor), it would not normally be necessary.. alas, I live in a place where power cuts are frequent, and it happens, so does the internet connection (even if we have UPS and power generator in the event of a power outage, the line exchange, outside our control likely goes down too).

5. Received thanks from:

g8ina (29-11-2018)

Thread Information