• Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Why can't we have nice things?

I know I'm not necessarily the target for most computer companies, but recently I've really been hankering after a Windows tablet - with Win 10 coming in fast and the Bay Trail giveaway bringing prices crashing, I'd love to have a nice portable device that I can plug a mouse/keyboard/monitor into and use it as an actual PC too. Plus I really miss my old TC1100 - although I know I won't get an active digitiser in my price range the possibility of using some kind of cap stylus to take notes on a handheld device is really tempting.

So, I've been doing a bit of research, and there are very few Windows tablets out there with screen resolutions above 1280x800. It's almost like there's some compulsion that makes tablet manufacturers put low res screens on windows devices (like those nasty 1366 panels most laptops have). If you're happy with Android, it's not such a problem: you can get 4:3 and 16:10 retina 8" Android tablets for around £140. So where are the Windows versions?

Well, I finally found one: The Teclast X89. A lovely, 4:3 ratio 7.85" 2048x1536 tablet, Quad core bay trail with 2GB RAM and 32GB eMMC. Selling out of China for around £100, with a dual boot Android/Windows set up.

So where are the rest? There are 1280x800 chinese tablets from about £60, and high res versions from about £90 - £100, so I'd've thought we'd see at least one reputable manufacturer push out a high res small screen Windows tablet for ~ £150? It's obviously possible, the components are out there - how hard is it to put them together...?

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Re: Why can't we have nice things?

I feel the same about screens in general laptop and desktops - common resolution seem to have stalled, or even gone backwards, especially in vertical resolution.

Oh, and I also hate glossy reflective screens, bring back matte !
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Jim. Another posting on here pointed me towards Onda's products, and when I did some more research (ok, Googling) the same set of companies appeared. Oh by the way, Onda's V919 seems to match that Teclast spec.

What I'd like to know is whether these are worth going for - I've read much on XDA that if you get a good one then you're in hog heaven, but quality does tend to be extremely patchy. And as for support ... forget it.

Family holiday coming up and the kid's HP Touchpads are now looking a bit long in the tooth so doting dad was looking for something that could replace them. And to be honest the specs on Techlast, Onda, etc are mouthwatering - Hudl prices for something that's akin to an iPad Retina.

But I'm kinda concerned about whether these are literally too good to be true. So the cautious part of me is thinking to play safe and get a Venue 8 Pro (Scan has the 3845 for less than £130) or similar HP/Lenovo devices. Android would be better (games!) but Windows8 is good enough for video I guess.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Finding them for Android is normally a case of looking at the high-end tablets though......When I was looking recently I wanted a minimum of 1080p for a 10"......I struggled. It seems that the higher resolution screens are reserved for the "gaming class" tablets for the most part. Those with the most powerful CPUs and a minimum of 2-3GB RAM.

I guess that with the race-to-the-bottom-line, one of the things that gets chopped down fast is the screen.

There are some oddball Chinese models that walk the line but I have heard too many bad luck stories about a lot of the cheaper tablets that I generally stay away these days and are happy to pay extra for build quality, if for no other reason than my tablet gets moved around and thrown down a lot.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    There are some oddball Chinese models that walk the line but I have heard too many bad luck stories about a lot of the cheaper tablets that I generally stay away these days and are happy to pay extra for build quality, if for no other reason than my tablet gets moved around and thrown down a lot.
    Yep, like I said there's stories/reviews out there where the author's had a pretty good experience. And let's be honest it's not like sticking to Apple/Samsung is any anti-lemon guarantee. And therein lies the curiosity - most of these ChiSlabs come with pretty awesome specs - dropping in stuff like 1080p+ displays, loads of storage and/or dual-boot (which makes it easier to "justify" as a productivity tool). Fact that they're also a third of the price of the "premium" gear makes me wonder if it'd be possible to justify as a 12-18 months and it's done. And the cheaper models - <£80 which if it's only going to last for the length of a holiday is do-able - especially if the battery life is reasonable.

I'm still using a 2012 model Note 10.1, and it's beginning to show it's age - battery not the best. It's mainly used for gaming, so I'm considering one of those cheap slabs or going up market and getting an NVidia Shield (only the prospect of an X1-powered Shield and consequent price drop for K1 Shield putting me off)

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

I'm Very Important
    Thanks
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

I got a link 10 in the staples deal before Xmas.

The res is 1280x800 and using the touch screen; I'm glad its not higher res. Hitting the close windows buttons is pretty difficult. The res would allow more real estate but the increase in bandwidth and video size for higher res movies made me think its not such a good idea due to the 32gb storage and my intawebz speed.

Another consideration is whether the intel onboard can cope with much higher resolutions.

MS giving away free windows was made on the previso they were budget models as far as I remember. I'm having a look now as I could well be wrong.

Edit; supposedly 8.1 is free on tablets <9".

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Jim. Another posting on here pointed me towards Onda's products, and when I did some more research (ok, Googling) the same set of companies appeared. Oh by the way, Onda's V919 seems to match that Teclast spec.
    The Onda 919 is the 9.7" retina = same as the Teclast X98. I'm after something more akin to the X89 - a 7.85" 4:3 ratio retina display. I've had a 10" tablet before and it was just a bit too big to be worth the effort (for a similar amount of bag space I could get a 13" laptop in). Most of the 8" ones out there are 1280x800 widescreen - it's not a bad resolution per se, but I want the sharpness for reading, and the horizontal res when it's in portrait mode for web browsing (hardly any websites will regress nicely on a < 1024px wide screen nowadays, and a lot of them look shady right up to 1366px). It's not really the real estate that bothers me.

I got my stepson an Ainol Android tablet a couple of years ago, and was actually very impressed at the build quality. They do a 1280x800 8" Windows tablet now, and tbh I'd probably go for one of those over one of the highstreet onces at a similar price (£80 - £90) as the chinese models tend to come with 2GB/32GB rather than 1GB/16GB of the "mainstream" options. It's just really frustrating to know that the hardware is out there for my ideal device but I'm going to have to risk shoddy OEM QC if I want to buy one....

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    The Onda 919 is the 9.7" retina = same as the Teclast X98. I'm after something more akin to the X89 - a 7.85" 4:3 ratio retina display. ... Most of the 8" ones out there are 1280x800 widescreen - it's not a bad resolution per se, but I want the sharpness for reading, and the horizontal res when it's in portrait mode for web browsing (hardly any websites will regress nicely on a < 1024px wide screen nowadays, and a lot of them look shady right up to 1366px). It's not really the real estate that bothers me.
    Ah right, actually 8" is also the sweet spot I'm looking for. But I definitely would prefer not to have narrow-screen, 4 by 3 isn't comfortable for me. With web browsing I just find 16/9 or 16/10 nicer.
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    I got my stepson an Ainol Android tablet a couple of years ago, and was actually very impressed at the build quality. They do a 1280x800 8" Windows tablet now, and tbh I'd probably go for one of those over one of the highstreet onces at a similar price (£80 - £90) as the chinese models tend to come with 2GB/32GB rather than 1GB/16GB of the "mainstream" options. It's just really frustrating to know that the hardware is out there for my ideal device but I'm going to have to risk shoddy OEM QC if I want to buy one....
    Dual booter would be nice, but I really need Android. Actually you make a good point - how come the "mainstream" guys insist that 1/16 is okay for RAM/storage whereas no-name, no-questions are quite happy to do larger? You'd think that the economies of scale would allow the big players to be generous. Only thing I can think is that they've got accountants (curse them with the lawyers) looking over their shoulder and bitching about the profit margin per unit.

Actually, not sure if it's of interest to anyone out there, but I found Best Chinese Android tablets (2014 edition)
    (Is it just me or do the models used look kinda young?) Got to say, from that list the Xiaomi MiPad looks pretty good.
    Last edited by crossy; 10-06-2015 at 04:49 PM.

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

Of the tablets I've owned since the TC1100, the Dell Venue 11 Pro had the best "TC1100 experience".

Things I liked about the Venue 11 Pro;
    + Active Stylus support
    + 11" 1920x1080 IPS display (note that there are versions of the Venue 11 Pro with a 1366x768 display)
    + 'Hard' keyboard available, turns the tablet in to a traditional laptop and doubles as second battery for about twice the battery life.

Things I didn't like;
    - Stylus sold separately
    - Keyboard sold separately and isn't cheap (don't confuse with cheaper 'soft' keyboard which IMO has crap keys)
    - Not much external expansion available on cheaper Intel Atom configuration,
    - More expensive Intel Core series configuration has more ports, e.g. USB and display options but is also heavier and bulkier
    - 16:9 display ratio, would prefer something squarer for note taking
    - Stylus was a bit flaky, but I hear things have improved since

Between the Atom and i5 Venue 11's I've owned, I prefered the Atom simply because it was lighter.

You can bag a refurb Venue 11 Pro with a 1yr warranty for £150 or less from ebay or the Dell Outlet if you keep your eye out.
    Last edited by DDY; 10-06-2015 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Good sentence structuring? lol...

Thread Information