Thread: Night shift for iOS 9.3

Registered+
    Thanks

Night shift for iOS 9.3

So i was reading about the new night shift functionality in iOS 9.3 due out next month, and it sounds really interesting -

For those who don't know, it changes the screen tint at night so it's not as bright and doesn't use as many 'blue' colours so is supposedly easier on the eyes.

As of now it's only avaliable to iOS beta preview resets, which unfortunately I am it, but wondering if anyone on the forum is? And whether it is as good as it sounds or if it just a gimmick?

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

Re: Night shift for iOS 9.3

There's already plenty of Android (and windows) apps that do this, theory is it reduces eye strain and doesn't fool your brain in to thinking it's daytime so you sleep better.

Nice idea to build it in to the OS, but I don't personally like weird tints to my screen colours

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by virtuo View Post
    There's already plenty of Android (and windows) apps that do this, theory is it reduces eye strain and doesn't fool your brain in to thinking it's daytime so you sleep better.

Nice idea to build it in to the OS, but I don't personally like weird tints to my screen colours
    Ah, so it is something already used out there already?
    My main worry would be watching films and things looking all strange, but if it easy to turn on and off in guessing it won't be too bad.

Thanks
    • jag272's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-G43
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • 1x8GB XMS3 1600Mhz CL11
      • Storage:
      • 1x 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming
      • PSU:
      • XFX TS 550W Core
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 943NW

Quote Originally Posted by Tefno View Post
    Ah, so it is something already used out there already?
    My main worry would be watching films and things looking all strange, but if it easy to turn on and off in guessing it won't be too bad.
    Ye its been around for quite a while. One of the main pieces of software for windows that does it for example is a thing called Flux. I tried it out a while ago when I got my new monitors and just didnt like the colour shifting. You could configure how much and at what times it took effect, but at the end of the day I picked IPS over TN for the colours so decided not to mess with them XD

The blue light thing in particular has been looked into for a while though, theres special glasses such as the so called Gunnar glasses too which are supposed to reduce eye strain looking at screens, and I believe they also reduce the impact of blue light, which as said earlier is meant to help you sleep easier as it doesnt trick your brain into thinking it is daytime.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jag272 View Post
    Ye its been around for quite a while. One of the main pieces of software for windows that does it for example is a thing called Flux. I tried it out a while ago when I got my new monitors and just didnt like the colour shifting. You could configure how much and at what times it took effect, but at the end of the day I picked IPS over TN for the colours so decided not to mess with them XD

The blue light thing in particular has been looked into for a while though, theres special glasses such as the so called Gunnar glasses too which are supposed to reduce eye strain looking at screens, and I believe they also reduce the impact of blue light, which as said earlier is meant to help you sleep easier as it doesnt trick your brain into thinking it is daytime.
    Cheers, will look into getting flux set up on my home laptop when I get home and play around with it - think that might be a better solution that buying a special pair of glasses! (Although if I could get them as a tinting on my current glasses, that could be another matter!)

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

Not sure if night shift apps can be used on non rooted Android phones, I am sure it will be baked into a new version of Android though. I am looking forward to iOS 9.3. It will probably be released on the 21st in line with Apples event.

Thread Information