Thread: Stop Android phone from auto-connecting specific Wi-Fi network

Thanks

Stop Android phone from auto-connecting specific Wi-Fi network

Here's the issue:

- My room has a very poor connection to the Wi-Fi in the building, to that point that my connection drops all the time.
    - So I use my laptop, connected via LAN to act as a Wi-Fi hotspot (using Virtual Router - I've had some issues with other options).
    - This works much better, but sometime the connect still drops for unknown reasons (despite a strong signals as the laptop stays pretty close to me in the room).
    - When that happens, I quick restart of Virtual Router sorts it out.

However, while I am doing that, my mobile will often auto-connect to the Wi-Fi in the building, so I also need to manually reconnect to my own Wi-Fi hotspot.

I could avoid that if I "Forget the network" of the Wi-Fi in the building, but that would require me to enter the password manually the next time I leave the room which is inconvenient.

Ideally, I'd like my phone to auto-connect to the hotspot created by my laptop when it's available, and only connect to the building Wi-Fi when I choose to do so. I do not want to forget the network since I do use it outside my room, and don't want to enter/re-enter the password all the time.

Is there any way to do that?

Thanks.
    Last edited by TooNice; 10-11-2016 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Typo

Thanks

Re: Stop Android phone from auto-connecting specific Wi-Fi network

Couldn't find the solution I was looking for, but it seems that using a static IP instead of DHCP stops my android phone from disconnecting from hotspot created on my laptop. It also connects much quicker, and avoids the "failed to obtain IP error" which, based on my Googling, happens quite often on Samsung phones. Actually, it happened more often than I liked on the S3, and I fully expected to be fixed by now on the S7, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Re: Stop Android phone from auto-connecting specific Wi-Fi network

It's to do with roaming aggressiveness. I'm not sure if you can tweak that on standard Android (and it uses more power). You may get improvement with making your local hotspot share the same configuration (SSID/password, but different channel). Your device may not be too keen on switching networks (as you have to get new IP addresses and such), but more happy to roam to your stronger hot spot when in range.

Thread Information