• Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 34inch ultra wide quad HD 144hz and 24inch asus HD
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

ios vs android basic tasks

Hello,

I Have some experience with IOS at my previous job role helping people setup email transferring files and other basic tasks.

I currently use an android phone and android tablet. I like the pure android experience but now that the google phone is the same price as the Iphone and apple support Iphone for longer I am weighing up the pros and cons of both platforms.

so far I have one example which is changing the ringtone.

on Android I would simply download a song and then go to settings select the song and set as ringtone.

on IOS i would have to do one of the following:
    1. use itunes to import the song then convert it and drag the converted song back to itunes and place it in to the tunes folder.
    2. install garageband on ios and mess about with importing the song editing it and then finally converting to ringtone.

I have never found apple products to be easy to use.

I find that Android can do the same tasks much easier and all without having to connect it to a computer.

If there is an easier way to perform the above task or other tasks do let me know since the last version of IOS i used was IOS 7 i think and things may of changed or i may of just missed another way of performing the task.

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Re: ios vs android basic tasks

The Pixel may be (very) expensive, but there are still other manufacturers who barely skin their devices.

Motorola (I'm biased - I have one) only add their voice features, which are pretty good, and gesture controls, other than that, they're pretty much pure.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

The same price?

Can you buy a 8 core 2GB RAM/16GB storage, dual camera, dual sim iPhone for 150-200ukp?

Because you can buy Xiaomi Android phones new with that spec and price....and there are plenty of other manufacturers in the gap between Xiaomi-cheap and Pixel/iPhone-ripoff.

When I had an iPhone 5 works phone, I gave up trying to do things like change the ring tone for a custom one.....when Apple don't want you to do something, you generally can't or its a complete pain.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Gigabyte AORUS 7000s SSD and sandisk 1tb sata 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 34inch ultra wide quad HD 144hz and 24inch asus HD
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

The main reason I am looking at the pixel is getting timely updates. I really liked getting the updates right away with my nexus 5 phone and my nexus 7 tablet.
    I do feel that google do not support android for long enough and if google doesn't then why would the other companies?
    Motorola have gone down hill since lenovo purchased them such as promising updates for certain phones and then changing their mind. Motorola will also not commit to monthly security updates. My mate has a one plus 3 and it is a nice phone but there is uncertainty regarding them merging with the android build they use in other markets which contains bloatware. there does seem more options than before. I currently have an LG G4 which I do like somewhat but I do not like waiting for updates or the lg stuff installed. I mostly use google apps so the pixel does make some sense but the price and the short amount of time it is supported for is putting me off it.
    Last edited by lodore; 31-10-2016 at 10:18 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

The pixel is a fine phone, as has been said the mid range units like Xiaomi and OnePlus are also very close. They both push updates out typically 90 days after the official release from Google. Though its you want the latest release ASAP then Google phones are the way to go. That said I have the Nexus 4, 7(2012 and 2013) and the Nexus 10 and I think Google made a pigs breakfast of the releases. I had issues with Google's updates killing apps (e.g I used MX player) and even the updates recently to Android around the Dual SIM switch seem driven more by telcos than consumer requests.

Stability issues abound with the Google provided updates. Yes they say that the Pixel will be different and now that the pace of Android development has slowed it might be an OK option.

Your mileage may vary. I'm mot saying that Xiaomi and OnePlus are any better I've had issues with he former (when the phone I had was very new for a month or so) and the later (I needed to wipe the device post update to get everything to work- wish they'd made that clear) but I've had better exprerience with Xiaomi and OnePlus than the Nexus devices - I think that's why Google are doing this new Pixel line. I've the Pixel tablet and that's been fine

For Apps on Andriod Vs IOS I'd recommend

Dogcatcher for podcasts it can be setup to auto download / delete old content / auto play on headphone connect etc.
    For SIP calling (not possible on IOS) I use VOIPSTUNT (service and app)
    For free data, calls text I use Freedompop (disable the offers, trials and autotop, just use the free plan) Only if oyu have a dual SIM or second phone the service is not ready for prime time IMHO
    WiFi Analyser to scan for the best Wifi channel at home (shows the channels your neighbours are using and make recommendations) alos when out and about use the signal meter to find the best place to get a good signal.
    Macrodriod for task automation (e.g. email you when SO / Kids / etc arrive / leave home / school)
    Lama to use cell towers to change phone profile based on location .e.g work / home / travel
    Android Device Manager (this is like find my phone on IOS) remote wipe / lock, locate and ring
    ESfileexplorer for media and Windows shares etc
    MX Player the best video player - Use custom codecs for DTS and AC3 support

From the sound of your comments you seem set on the Pixel I'm sure it will be fine as Google are putting part of the purchase price into this new idea (for Google) customer support!

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by lodore View Post
    I do feel that google do not support android for long enough and if google doesn't then why would the other companies?
    It's swings-and-round-abouts.....while Apple support a device longer, once you hit their wall, there is no way forward. With Android devices there are virtually always an army of enthusiasts and 3rd-parties supplying ROMs for many years.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thread Information