Thread: iPhone performance ageing

Thanks

iPhone performance ageing

For those who haven't noticed some of the recent articles on the web, it appears as though some iPhones are degrading in performance, apparently in correlation with battery ageing.

https://wccftech.com/iphone-issues-b...age-geekbench/
    https://wccftech.com/iphone-battery-...r-performance/

At first it looks like clickbait but after reading into it it seems like there's more to it, and there are reports that replacing the battery restores performance.

Now, it's not necessarily completely without reason - perhaps Apple have reason to believe that particularly degraded batteries are unable to deliver as much power safely, or perhaps they just want to keep battery life consistent throughout the life of the device. However it does seem pretty underhanded if true - having your device conveniently lose performance before a new 'faster' thing is released.

Either way it warrants further investigation and some sort of explanation. IMO it would be far better to alert the user to this and perhaps offer an option to maintain performance or battery life.

2. Received thanks from:

Millennium (18-12-2017)

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Re: iPhone performance ageing

BBC have now reported it to be true:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42438745

I dont believe this is just down to iPhones, I'm sure this is done on Android phones as well, and pretty much every type of electronic device connected to the web (bluray players, audio amps etc...)

All to do with the economic cycle.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Love how they spun it and now offering to replace your battery and undo the slow down for a mere £80...
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

5. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (23-12-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGTDenton View Post
    BBC have now reported it to be true:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42438745

I dont believe this is just down to iPhones, I'm sure this is done on Android phones as well, and pretty much every type of electronic device connected to the web (bluray players, audio amps etc...)

All to do with the economic cycle.
    I've not seen it on a single Android phone I've owned, from LG (Nexus), Samsung, Huawei or HTC. All of the score essentially equal on benchmarks now compared to what they did when brand new.

Edit: I'm not buying their 'explanation' either, it sounds like a lame excuse for an engineering oversight at best IMO (giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming nothing more sinister). If high transient currents are an issue they should have used more input capacitance, if continuous power draw is too high then the batteries are either rubbish or too small for the job they're doing. Either way there's no way that should have spanned several generations before some engineers noticed the problem, and hiding it would have been stupid - someone running benchmarks was bound to notice eventually.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Batteries do age and the capacity reduces. So you either run at the same power draw for shorter time or reduce the load to extend the time between charges. This solution optimises life between charges. I would be nice to have the option in the software to select which option though.

£80 for a professionally fitted QA product seems reasonable to me - and preferable to fitting some cheap knock off from Ebay with unpredictable performance, and the risk of doing a Samsung.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Batteries do age and the capacity reduces. So you either run at the same power draw for shorter time or reduce the load to extend the time between charges. This solution optimises life between charges. I would be nice to have the option in the software to select which option though.

£80 for a professionally fitted QA product seems reasonable to me - and preferable to fitting some cheap knock off from Ebay with unpredictable performance, and the risk of doing a Samsung.
    I would probably disagree. If you've made such poor design choices that you have to downclock yer phone to preserve a battery that's only 1.5 years old or whatever, you don't have excuses, you've messed up the market. In this case, VERY badly. I mean how hard is it to pick a battery that can sustain your device for 3-4 years? Maybe not too hard now, especially for a company floating in a sea of money and good intentions like crappy Apple.

I guess £80 to restore your device functionality is 'ok' (read: not quite the worst outcome) but this doesn't seem to apply to the majority of other smartphone vendors, including android VARs/OEMs, and I don't doubt that if one of them had pulled this kind of rubbish, even a medium/small one like Xaomi or Uliphone or whatever, it would have been much bigger news. Yet, people always seem to settle. ?
    Last edited by Millennium; 22-12-2017 at 09:58 PM.
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Thanks

The thing is, it seems Apple's explanation is centred around having to do this as a last resort to stop the phone browning out and resetting, not about preserving battery life. Depending on workload, limiting peak clock speeds won't necessarily help battery life much if at all anyway - race-to-sleep, etc - being stuck in a lower-performance active state for longer with leakage present as long as the core isn't gated.

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing

The down clocking is such a great feature they neglected to mention in for a year or errrrrrr so

Registered+
    Thanks

From 2 January until December 2018, you can get an iPhone battery replacement for just £25, that’s £54 less than the normal £79 cost of an out-of-warranty replacement battery normally.

This is only for
    - iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus
    - iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus (Though you may be eligible for a free replacement, see below)
    - iPhone SE
    - iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus

A small number of iPhone 6S devices manufactured between September and October 2015 have been known to unexpectedly shut down. Apple is giving users of these iPhone 6S devices a free battery replacement. Put your serial number into Apple’s website to see if you’re eligible - and you won’t even have to pay £25.

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Apple really deserve to be punished to the full extent of the law. Having a death clock in your code to down clock the processor by like half and not tied to battery health but a period of time to ost likely coincide with newer phone releases is evil. The battery replacement is only a plaster on a gushing wound.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by outwar6010 View Post
    Apple really deserve to be punished to the full extent of the law. Having a death clock in your code to down clock the processor by like half and not tied to battery health but a period of time to ost likely coincide with newer phone releases is evil. The battery replacement is only a plaster on a gushing wound.
    The period of time was linked to the battery ageing.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

The period of time was linked to the battery ageing.
    I don't think that's true. They have lithium ion batteries in them which probably only have less than 10% wear on them after 2 years. I've bought many used android phones over the years and none of them, have had the issues that apple have claimed, ageing lithium ion batteries have.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by outwar6010 View Post
    I don't think that's true. They have lithium ion batteries in them which probably only have less than 10% wear on them after 2 years. I've bought many used android phones over the years and none of them, have had the issues that apple have claimed, ageing lithium ion batteries have.
    The capacity of any battery - regardless of chemistry - reduces over time, and the internal impedance tends to rise which limits the peak current, so high current pulses would cause the voltage to drop. Apple claims that this could cause data corruption and that underclocking the processor as the battery aged reduced that risk and maintained the time between recharging.

Now you can argue that that might be poor battery design, or an under capacity battery necessitated by the fashion for ultra thin phones, but there is currently no evidence that this was to prematurely age the device - in fact it would extend the life before the requirement to change the battery.

While the reduction in the cost of battery replacement might be a PR exercise, it is still a real eduction in price and gets a warranted battery fitted by the mfr, rather than a battery of unknown provenance fitted for a similar price by some back street pop-up shop.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

This saddens me. iPhone is not working on its battery heating issue that causes its users to pluck away from iPhones to any other smartphones. I have to say, iPhone is not a good gadget for a gaming, battery is something to concern about.

Thread Information