Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paypal app 2 factor authentication

Thanks

Question Paypal app 2 factor authentication

Hi - I haven't set up 2-factor authentication on one of my PayPal accounts, which I would rather do in other ways than give them a mobile number (and of course should have done already) - I can't get past the web login screen without this, however I can log in with the app but..

no option to set up 2-factor authentication under Log In & Security in the app. Nothing in fact except review Permissions. Why on earth not? Suppose setting this up on the app was how I wanted/only way I was able to go about it? Anyone know why this is not there & what you're supposed to do instead?

updated edit: short answer, you can't. This information may or not be among PayPal help somewhere but if so, not right in front of you where you can trip over, which would have saved chasing it up somewhere else. As to the why not, well, kinda here nor there.
    Last edited by sammyc; 11-11-2020 at 11:24 AM.
    Aliorum vitia turbaverunt me

Thanks

Re: Paypal app 2 factor authentication

Something else to thank the EU for.

But seriously, I have no idea. I dumped my PayPal account a good decade ago.

And before starting another EU argument, the above snipe was fascetious. I actually think the Second PSD and inherent enhanced security is good for all of us, if a bit of a pain in the butt.

Good luck with it.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Thank you like most of the Help pages of my experience, they lean heavily on the 'do this' and never the 'how/where'.

4. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (09-11-2020)

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I presume you've Googled the pants off this issue, already?
    You could try opening a direct link to your account, something like paypal.com/myaccount/settings - It will presumably ask for a login and may then permit you to access settings.

Failing that - Have you tried logging in with the app and then logging into teh website, either on desktop or ideally on the mobile browser of the phone?
    If you have the app, I expect the desktop version would authenticate via the app, similar to how Steam does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    And before starting another EU argument, the above snipe was fascetious.
    Normally I'd just correct your spelling to 'facetious', being a rather facetious individual myself... but knowing your level of wit, I suspect you were actually creating a very cunning and pithy portmanteau from 'fascist' and 'facetious'!!

6. Received thanks from:

sammyc (11-11-2020)

Thanks

Yes, and there didn't seem to be anything directly relating to the non appearance of 2FA setup in app. I have already been bypassing by using a myaccount/summary bookmark the whole time they've been asking for a mobile. The app won't have anything to do with me now either, since I posted earlier, I am now far too fishy obviously.

I will have to fall back on asking them to let me back in & take it from there I guess; anyway, the principle is the thing mainly - what's the point of -> search help pages in app -> get told to set up 2FA -> no accompanying instructions, and nothing under Log In & Security when you do go off to try & find your own way.

Thanks for the suggestions

(gripe 2 of 2) if in Paypal's own words, no 2 of the three types of authentication is "Possession: Something you have like a one-time only code generated by SMS, or a trusted device that you are using" then where is trusted device option in 2FA setup?
    Last edited by sammyc; 09-11-2020 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post

Normally I'd just correct your spelling to 'facetious', being a rather facetious individual myself... but knowing your level of wit, I suspect you were actually creating a very cunning and pithy portmanteau from 'fascist' and 'facetious'!!
    Well, that's a possibility. Or, I just had a thumping headache and wasn't paying attention.

I appreciate your generous estimation of my wit. But the way I feel, I have to say you're only half right.

Oh .... wait.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    I appreciate your generous estimation of my wit. But the way I feel, I have to say you're only half right.
    I don't need to say anything, do I? You're doing all the work for me!!

Thanks

I don't need to say anything, do I? You're doing all the work for me!!
    We aim to please.

BTW, it was deliberate. It's how I feel, ATM. I'm in day 3 (I think) of a whopper headache. On the Saracen headache scale, it's a solid 9. I get these occasionally, though this is #2 this year, which makes it a busy year. Normally, 3-5 days of pounding, followed by the same again of feeling like a well-rung dishrag.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

TBF, Sam, they have been bleating about these changes for some time now, and telling people to set 2FA up or they'd not be able to access their account once it became mandatory...

Saracen - Take two of these and call me in the morning:

And yes, that is a head-cooling cap she's got next to her.
    EKWB haven't released their RGB version, yet, so you're stuck with the NHS one.

Thanks

Oh damn. And I'm such a fan of RGB-everything.

At least it doesn't have blinkenlitz and flashinggizmo's.

Oh, and how's this for irony. I ordered the new 4th Gen Amazon Evho, which should have been delivered a couple of weeks ago. Then it got delayed until late Nov. Well, it just arrived. Testing a speaker when I have a multi-day headache. Priceless.

Thanks

TBF, Sam, they have been bleating about these changes for some time now, and telling people to set 2FA up or they'd not be able to access their account once it became mandatory...
    Oh yes, no argument about that, but I take exception to the fact that if hypothetical person A (me) has deliberately or otherwise left it to the wire, person A then finds no such option in app. I could be away somewhere, sans laptop, just my phone, and I wouldn't expect to find I can't do it at any price. Yes I could have checked if the option was there in app, but why would anyone suppose it wouldn't be, given the bleating?

And I take separate exception to having a mobile number strongarmed out of me for anything, but there we go.

Bah to the headache Saracen, hope it shifts asap.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
    I take exception to the fact that if hypothetical person A (me) has deliberately or otherwise left it to the wire, person A then finds no such option in app.
    I'd need to check, but I think the wire has been and gone a couple of months back....

Yep: https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/psd2

Yes I could have checked if the option was there in app, but why would anyone suppose it wouldn't be, given the bleating?
    Well, they do offer this:

I don't have a phone number to link to my PayPal account—is there another way to verify my identity when logging in?
    Yes, you can use an authenticator app which generates a one-time security code that you can use to sign in. There are many authenticator apps—some commonly used ones are Google Authenticator and Microsoft Authenticator. Most authenticator apps work on a mobile, though some are also available to download on a computer.

How do I link the authenticator app with my PayPal account?
    First, download an authenticator app of your choice. Then:

If you have a PayPal Business account: Click on this link and select “Use an authenticator app”
    Or follow the below steps:

Login to PayPal account
    Click the Settings Icon next to ‘log out’
    Click Your Profile
    Click Update next to ‘2-Step Verification’
    Select “Use an authenticator app” and follow the instructions provided.

If you're still locked out, you could try resetting your password and seeing if that allows you the option of setting up 2FA.
    But if they still want 2FA to do all this, it may well have to be a call or message, explaining that you left it too late and are locked out. Not sure how you'd authenticate yourself to enable the reset and subsequent 2FA, as that's what the 2FA is meant to do, but I guess they'll cover that in the contact.

Thanks

Bah to the headache Saracen, hope it shifts asap.
    Thanks, Sammy. And it will. It's a familiar experience over some years .... well, decades. It doesn't happen very often these days, not least because I normally recognise it coming and clobber it with a painkiller (prescription codeine) before the little bugger gets it's claws in. This time I must have missed the signs, and shifting it once established ain't easy. I have to wait it out. It feels like it's fading now, though.

Thanks

I'd need to check, but I think the wire has been and gone a couple of months back....

Yep: https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/psd2
    I was fine until yesterday, had been logging in no problem (apart from sidestepping the 'can we have your number' screen, as described above). "..went into effect in the EEA on the 14 September 2019, and will start being enforced this year" and "SCA enforcement will be enforced in Europe by 31 of December 2020, and in the UK by September 2021" does not say horse has bolted, to me.

Well, they do offer this: [...]
    Yes, I know, except -

Login to PayPal account
    Click the Settings Icon next to ‘log out’
    Click Your Profile
    Click Update next to ‘2-Step Verification’
    Select “Use an authenticator app” and follow the instructions provided.
    there was no option to do this in app. This be the trouble. I can't prove that now ofc, because, well, locked out.

Yes I will have to go cap in hand & get them to deal with, and yes I could ask why it wasn't possible to do it in the app, but I doubt I'd get a sensible answer to that bit.

edit: the answer to this is (thank you Rick's Daily Tips) - "Note: You’ll need to access your PayPal account via a web browser on a laptop or desktop computer in order to enable Two-Factor Authentication. For whatever reason, PayPal doesn’t offer the option to set it up via the mobile app."

I have in fact got back into the app, but can do nothing in there of any use, so that's handy.
    Last edited by sammyc; 10-11-2020 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Yea, the usual way, at least as far as I've come across so far, is that you sign into the website, set up 2FA, and then the app requires it.

I guess, in a way, it makes sense, plus you can always log into websites from a mobile device.

Thanks

Failing that - Have you tried logging in with the app and then logging into teh website, either on desktop or ideally on the mobile browser of the phone?
    If you have the app, I expect the desktop version would authenticate via the app, similar to how Steam does it.
    Someone pointed out that as I'm able to use PayPal checkout ok, go & pay for something & then open a PayPal website tab and yes, hey presto, in. And have set up 2FA from there.

And yes, this is in essence what you were telling me to do, so I'm an idiot and owe you a thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BobF64 View Post
    Yea, the usual way, at least as far as I've come across so far, is that you sign into the website, set up 2FA, and then the app requires it.

I guess, in a way, it makes sense, plus you can always log into websites from a mobile device.
    Yes *sigh*. I still think they should make this key point unmissable, & their whole how-to for this idiotproof. One more flippin' app it is, then :/

Actually scratch all that, it has now reverted to asking me for a mobile again. I give up..
    Last edited by sammyc; 11-11-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information