Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not enough memory or, Tablet dying?

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Re: Not enough memory or, Tablet dying?

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I believe Microsoft still do heavy discount (free?) Windows 10 to really low end hardware to avoid Netbooks coming back. No way you could make a Windows tablet for £100 when the Windows licence alone costs that much. The 32GB storage, 11.6" screen, 2GB of ram and a low end Atom CPU seem to be limits that if anyone crosses the cost suddenly jumps up. My daughter's ASUS Transformer was something like £130 for a nice little tablet with dockable keyboard included. If you bought the next model up with 4GB of ram and a bit more storage it was about £250.
    Yes that was definitely the case. I think it might be changing though now. I've seen a few better spec'd ones now but only a few no name Chinese brands. I think Microsoft are getting less and less bothered by Windows licensing earnings but there are also less and less manufactures chasing the bottom end of the market - certainly no decent ones anymore. I see OP is going with Android which makes sense but just a word of warning if anyone sees my posts about cheap windows tablets - just make sure its not Windows RT! Quite a few of those kicking about at the £80~£100 mark second hand and they are worthless (stuck on the old version of Edge with no better browser options and no effective support). A good example of this is Music magpie wanting £160 for a surface 2 - https://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/store/...8-9a5b1b2a9f61 - Only the pro are full windows in these early models so this is £160 overpriced.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    Yes that was definitely the case. I think it might be changing though now. I've seen a few better spec'd ones now but only a few no name Chinese brands. I think Microsoft are getting less and less bothered by Windows licensing earnings but there are also less and less manufactures chasing the bottom end of the market - certainly no decent ones anymore. I see OP is going with Android which makes sense but just a word of warning if anyone sees my posts about cheap windows tablets - just make sure its not Windows RT! Quite a few of those kicking about at the £80~£100 mark second hand and they are worthless (stuck on the old version of Edge with no better browser options and no effective support). A good example of this is Music magpie wanting £160 for a surface 2 - https://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/store/...8-9a5b1b2a9f61 - Only the pro are full windows in these early models so this is £160 overpriced.

I would go for a decent windows tablet but i dont want to spend a lot.

Thanks

Just to add my own experience, this has to be one of the most frustrating thing I've experienced regarding tablets. I don't want/need some super fancy tablet, just something to play videos or browse the web on. However, system updates invariably seem to remove that capability from the sort of budget tablets I have used.

I had some older Kindle Fire passed to me by a relative which was fine when I started using it, but a couple of years later eeevvverrryyytthiiinnggg wassss soooooooo ssslllloooooowwwwwwww. Opening applications, loading web pages, playing/pausing videos. All things which it managed perfectly fine originally. And it's not purely a case of websites getting more bloated either as many of the sites I visit haven't substantially changed. A factory reset seemed to help for a bit, but it quickly returned to treacle mode so I got rid and bought a Huawei MediaPad T3 8".

Again, while not a flagship product, it was quite fast enough originally, but over time has become increasingly frustrating to use for the same sort of basic functions like switching applications.

It's especially frustrating when the hardware still appears so immaculate and there's really no reason it couldn't manage the same tasks it managed perfectly well out of the box.

And just as an aside, I have some model or other of Samsung TV which I specifically chose to not have any smart features in the hope it would be less temperamental. However, the interface has become really, ridiculously unresponsive when it's first switched on - volume, source, EPG, etc can take many seconds to appear and navigate after button presses. A factory reset does appear to restore performance for a while but it slows down again over time. This TV has no Internet connection either so I can't even blame some sort of application updates. I do wonder if it's something to do with how storage is being accessed and a factory reset restores performance similar to those early planar TLC SSDs where performance would degrade for older files.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    I do wonder if it's something to do with how storage is being accessed and a factory reset restores performance similar to those early planar TLC SSDs where performance would degrade for older files.
    It is possible. I just did an investigation on an SD card at work which had failed in a customer's machine. It seems the flash contents had degraded. We don't know if the flash had seen any extreme temperatures or had just been left switched off for a long time but it was reading at about 1MB/s rather than the usual 80MB/s and chucking lots of bad bits mixed in with the reads so the flash controller must have been really struggling to make sense of the stored charge. The bad bits moved about on each read too. Writing a new image over the card resurrected it to full speed and consistent reads. Not that it is ever going near a customer machine again ofc. Flash is an amazing technology, but can be tricky. That wasn't some cheap card off Amazon either, that was installed at our factory and bought through proper channels.

Thanks

i'd do a factory reset, it should free up some space and remove unnecessary useless files or cache.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information