Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EU roaming charges are back

Thanks

Re: EU roaming charges are back

And before this thread goes off on a tangent, regardless of views of Brexit, remaining or leaving, lets just leave that where it belongs, in the past. While any decision to leave will ultimately affect future decisions for companies and indeed the country going over old ground won't help anyone and we don't want another thread closed because of it.

Thank you
    Jon

2. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (24-06-2021)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by TeePee View Post
    I'm in the UK right now. In terms of permanent relocation, I've been tempted to give it a go. More so before Covid, and the last year of hysteria. There are positives and negatives everywhere. I'm looking at a potential 50/50 split.
    Good to hear!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    And before this thread goes off on a tangent, regardless of views of Brexit, remaining or leaving, lets just leave that where it belongs, in the past. While any decision to leave will ultimately affect future decisions for companies and indeed the country going over old ground won't help anyone and we don't want another thread closed because of it.

Thank you
    This. I should not have used the word.

But there is point, that one of the downsides of the EU was the excessive bureaucracy, and the EU's disastrous vaccine rollout was of their own making. We should have dodged that bullet, but the refusal of Government to admit their mistakes means the UK has missed another opportunity. It's hard to do worse, but the current Government appears to be trying.

Thanks

Unfortunately I think in all situations like this because of such divisive opinions on both sides as soon as brexit or even things related to it come into play the conversation will quickly escalate to a point where the original subject is lost. And we have a pretty good bunch of people on here, debate is good but some debate just breeds negativity. Lets keep it positive and on subject.

Well as positive as your phone charges going up can be
    Jon

Thanks

Also, I'm in Oxford on Saturday. Anyone for a pint? I'm buying!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post

The bigger problem is not Brexit,but more EE has told porkies after we left.
    I wouldn't disagree with that, but my point wasn't about Brexit. Or at least, at most, partially and indirectly.

I was really saying .... doesn't affect me. The full background to that is :-

1) Doesn't affect me 'cos .... not an EE customer.

2) Doesn't affect me 'cos .... my mobile phone costs are utterly minimal, 'cos my usage is. See note.

3) Doesn't affect me cos .... even if I physically went to an EU country, it's extremely unlikely I'd take my phone, or power it up if I did.

4) Doesn't affect me cos .... for reasons nothing to do with Brexit, I'm highly unlikely to be in an EU country.

5) Doesn't affect me 'cos .... and this is the partially Brexit bit, even if 4) wasn't already the case, for Brexit reasons I'm not likely to go to an EU country anyway. But 4) is the case, and it's unlikely in the extreme that my view on Brexit would have any effect.

Note - By "minimal" use, I mean almost zero. I have a Vodafone plan which costs me £0.00p per day, PAYG, and £1/day for some data, all calls and all texts, during that day., if and only if I use the phone for something chargeable. Which is rare. In the last year, I've activated that I think 5 times, at least two of which were to prevent the plan lapsing. I had my previous (non-smart) phone for about £10 years and the total call and text cost over that period was about £5.

When I say "minimal" use, I really mean it. I do use it a fair bit on Signal ( on wifi), to control some Alexa lights, and as a camera, but very rarely indeed for actual calls or texts. My entire lifetime data costs are £0.00. It's done 0.02MB in total, which was when I activated data for, literally, about 2 seconds, having already made a 6-monthly brief call to avoid losing the plan, just to make sure data worked.

Nothing any mobile company does, roaming or otherwise, will affect me by enough for me to really care.

At least, until now. My data usage might go up a bit soon because my new DJI drone uses GPS and mapping for "go home". I'm still looking to see if I can pre-load enough data on wifi for the maps of wherever I will be, or I might need to change plan to get the data for the drone controller. Dunno yet. But even then, roaming in the EU is extremely unlikely to make any difference regardless of my Brexit view. I really wasn't making a Brexit point.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

I have a 100GB plan with Three and over the last year my data use hasn't been more than 40MB per month
    Jon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    I have a 100GB plan with Three and over the last year my data use hasn't been more than 40MB per month
    I don't really have a yardstick to measure what my data usage might be if I need it for that mapping. I wouldn't think it'd be huge. What I like about the Vodafone plan is that unless I use it, cost per day (or per month) is zero, other than having to activate it at £1/time, every six months.

I'm not much of a mobile user, and have no need (or desire) to be. It's getting hard to avoid having one these days, but it's almost all about wifi use with me, and a very small set of people that have my mobile number to call me. I really don't want to be at everyone's back and call by mobile. Plus, when so few people legitimately call it, it makes it much easier to spot spammers/scammers instantly. I treat a mobile phone as a necessary nuisance, not something I desire to have. I doubt my view on that will ever change. It's just increasingly hard to entirely do without one.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

They haven't technically lied, they used some weasel words. They had "no current plans" to reintroduce roaming charges in January. Clearly since then plans have been made.

Incidently the other networks used very similar wording, so expect them to follow suit once EE have taken all the bad publicity for it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    They haven't technically lied, they used some weasel words. They had "no current plans" to reintroduce roaming charges in January. Clearly since then plans have been made.

Incidently the other networks used very similar wording, so expect them to follow suit once EE have taken all the bad publicity for it.
    Quite so. I have "no current plans" to go out with a camera this weekend, but it doesn't mean I won't. I might plan it tomorrow. Or not.

As for the other networks, very possibly. Re: roaming, that won't affect me any more than EE does. But I take the point. I guess it'll depend on the reaction to EE. If other networks pick up lota of ex-EE customers as a result of this, they might welldecide that following suit isn't a a good idea. It might even force EE to about-face.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • rich_27's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Ve​ngeance LP​X 2x 8GB C​L16 D​DR4-3600
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 980 Pro 250GB M.2-2280 NVME SSD & Samsung 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • DAN Cases A4 v4.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • Yes

It feels like we spent years slowly making progress towards consumer friendly phone contracts, with it taking so long for phone providers to get over the hump of allowing properly unlimited data and tethering. I was grandfathered into a contract for something like 8 years with Three, because all the subsequent tariffs after they stopped proper All You Can Eat data came with fair usage data caps and prevented tethering. I don't mind paying a bit more per month so I know for certain that wherever I go with signal I have an internet connection I don't have to worry about running out of data on. It was only when Three were forced to axe their caps that modern contracts could compete: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...ile-plans.html

I wonder if, without EU pressure, we'll see a gradual slip back to the days of nickel and diming customers for using mobile internet as well as undoing all the progress with roaming.

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

I'm only a yank because of the EU. I Brexited before it was cool.
    Brexit was never cool...just ask fishermen, farmers, everyone in N. Ireland...

14. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (25-06-2021),jimborae (25-06-2021)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Also, I'm in Oxford on Saturday. Anyone for a pint? I'm buying!
    Bit short notice, an hour and a half on the train (less if driving but then it's a long drive to just have a half so I can drive home).

Would be nice to meet some people though.

Back on topic, I'm with Three who allowed EU roaming before there was any legislation so I expect they will stick with it.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

This was one of the brexit things which was inevitable, although some (like Vodafone who charge a fortune for their plans) might decide to make it a differentiating factor.

For me, I saw it was something like £2 a day to use your plan. Now I can really imagine if you take a family of 4 over and you all want to use all your plan all the time for a week, it's gonna get more expensive. But as a family you moderate that and work around it quite easily by... er... not doing that. I've found wifi is just fine to use if I need data access abroad and so on. Generally, the costs of travelling abroad are significant enough that £14 for a week (if I must) just doesn't factor into the decision. And when I was a kid, we didn't have mobile phones and somehow we survived on holiday.

Honestly, this is pretty minor and I think a couple of quid to use your free minutes and data in another country is actually pretty good.

There are far more important things lost through brexit and far more important compromises made. Although I do think overall the vaccine thing has demonstrated there are significant advantages to be had. But, as said above - these arguments belong in the past. It's done and we need to work on optimising the result.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    This was one of the brexit things which was inevitable, although some (like Vodafone who charge a fortune for their plans) might decide to make it a differentiating factor.

For me, I saw it was something like £2 a day to use your plan. Now I can really imagine if you take a family of 4 over and you all want to use all your plan all the time for a week, it's gonna get more expensive. But as a family you moderate that and work around it quite easily by... er... not doing that. I've found wifi is just fine to use if I need data access abroad and so on. Generally, the costs of travelling abroad are significant enough that £14 for a week (if I must) just doesn't factor into the decision. And when I was a kid, we didn't have mobile phones and somehow we survived on holiday.

Honestly, this is pretty minor and I think a couple of quid to use your free minutes and data in another country is actually pretty good.

There are far more important things lost through brexit and far more important compromises made. Although I do think overall the vaccine thing has demonstrated there are significant advantages to be had. But, as said above - these arguments belong in the past. It's done and we need to work on optimising the result.
    As long as the charges are open, transparent and well-publicised, I don't have a problem. If you need the service and the cost is acceptable use it, and if you don't or it isn't, don't use it.

I used to get a cheap US SIM on arrival. I guess the same trick would help cover the issue, if not solve it all. But as long as users are aware, you pays yer money (or not) and takes yer choice, I guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information