Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next new iPad?

Thanks

Next new iPad?

We've just had the Apple yearly 'ooooh look at our amazing new stuff' event, but no mentions of a new iPad..

I'm looking to replace my Mini5 with something 11" or smaller..
    I want M1, which leads me to the iPad Pro 11", or the 5th Gen iPad Air..

The Air's not been out that long, and given that Apple has dropped the M2 in other devices, will we see an iPad refresh this year?
    Will the 'normal' iPad 9th Gen get M1 and other changes, or will they drop a new Pro...

I'm looking at the Air5 at the minute, but if something news gonna come out in the next month or so I'm tempted to wait.

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Re: Next new iPad?

There's usually another event in October that'll cover iPads and any other new hardware.

Thanks

ahhh its October is it, early October hopefully, I'm out of the country again shortly until the end of September but I'm starting to get that upgrade itch...

Thanks

Sorry for the necro revival. Dunno if you scratched your M1 itch, Trig, but the M2 iPad Pros are out, and there are still some deals of the 5th Gen iPad Pro knocking about, that being the M1 version.

Diferences appear to be pretty minimal, apart from M2 chip. Mainly, the "hover" function (could be very useful if you are into digital art/drawing), and Bluetooth is 5.3 compared to 5.0. As for processors, it seens to be a choice between bleeping quick M1, or even bleeping quicker M2. Given the prices I;ve seen, I think I'll make do with BT5.0 and forego "hover".

Anyway, if you're still looking, Pro available in 11" or 12.9" whereas, IIRC, Air is 11" only. A different use case, I'd have thought, to the Mini, though. Both have their niche, but very different niches.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

I ended up with the M1 iPad 11' Pro, more than enough to do the job, if you want more storage then go down the iPad Air route, but I wanted the Pro because of the M1 and all of the IR stuff..

That said having had it for 6 months or so i could have had the Air and more storage as I haven't really used the power of the M1 and tend to keep it in power save mode...

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Having recently taken up guitar, I'm accumulating a humungous amount of paper music, and my son keeps stealing my iPad to watch youtube on, so I decided to go with an iPad Pro M1. Seems CostCo have them on sale for £999 for the 1TB model, which is less than 50% of the price of a new model. Massive overkill for my use, but I guess at least it'll last for a long time.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    Having recently taken up guitar, I'm accumulating a humungous amount of paper music, and my son keeps stealing my iPad to watch youtube on, so I decided to go with an iPad Pro M1. Seems CostCo have them on sale for £999 for the 1TB model, which is less than 50% of the price of a new model. Massive overkill for my use, but I guess at least it'll last for a long time.
    I seem to see lots of ipads on stage at our local live music venue. Looks like they get used for lyrics, music and even I think effects. What are you using yours for?

I have an old laptop next to the drum kit at home. It has 8GB of ram, a decent SATA SSD and ISTR an old mobile 4C4T i5. But occasionally when playing practice backing tracks to drum along to, it stutters. All that computing power, and it can't play a damned mp3 file, and timing is pretty crucial to drumming so a stuttering mess is really distracting.

Have tried replacing the built in sound with a USB audio out, but that didn't help.

I'm pondering alternatives, though reloading the laptop with Linux (rather than Windows 10 pro) might be a start.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I seem to see lots of ipads on stage at our local live music venue. Looks like they get used for lyrics, music and even I think effects. What are you using yours for?

I have an old laptop next to the drum kit at home. It has 8GB of ram, a decent SATA SSD and ISTR an old mobile 4C4T i5. But occasionally when playing practice backing tracks to drum along to, it stutters. All that computing power, and it can't play a damned mp3 file, and timing is pretty crucial to drumming so a stuttering mess is really distracting.

Have tried replacing the built in sound with a USB audio out, but that didn't help.

I'm pondering alternatives, though reloading the laptop with Linux (rather than Windows 10 pro) might be a start.
    I'm using Forscore - https://forscore.co/ + a Airturn BT-200 pedal.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Cool. I've used Songsterr on my Android tablet for a few songs, but for my use the 10.4" screen is too far away to easily see, so I tend to end up printing most stuff out.

10. Received thanks from:

b0redom (18-07-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    I ended up with the M1 iPad 11' Pro, more than enough to do the job, if you want more storage then go down the iPad Air route, but I wanted the Pro because of the M1 and all of the IR stuff..
    That's one (but not the only) reason I'm going Pro, not Air. More storage. For more money, though.

Maybe it's just my almost total lack of familiarity with Apple products in general, and iPad in particular, but I'm struggling to get my head round the product 'matrix' .... what do you get, or not get, with vanilla iPad, the Air or the Pro? Rhetorical question, because I think I'm finally getting my head round it.

The whole thing, with the overlapping parallel product lines seems (and I have absolutely zero doubts actually IS) designed to manipulate potential buyers up the price range. It does it with a slick blend of "well, I can get this and it's only £x more", and finding finding a model in one line that would do almost everything, except that you really need (or just really want) one specific aspect and to get that you have to go up a product line (like Air to Pro) BUT, the moment you do that, the rest of the spec you'd decided on decrease, unless you go further up in price to match that same spec in the higher line.

And with me, despite knowing exactly what the crafty beggars are up to, it's going to work.

See, what I really, REALLY want, is the larger screen. For what I want it for, that's a given. Frankly, even 12.9 is a slightly reluctant compromise. And that is one of those "want this, then go up a product line" features, in their matrix.

So generally, that "go Air" route isn't bad advice. In my case, it's a non-starter, because of screen size. Ironically, for many, 11" is probably a bettr size than 12.9. Certainly if portability is a high priority. For me though, it isn't.

But then, having gone from Air to Pro, I find that at the £x budget, other aspects of spec have gone backwards, unless you increase your budget. And they've got you. The parallel lines trick in te matrix worked.

That said, right now, I'm comparing the M1-equipped Air with tthe previous Gen of Pro, given that current Pro models have the M2 but there are still some previous (5th) Gen M1 Pro's about.

It's going to cost me about £200 more to go 5th Gen (M1) Pro over 5th Gen (M1) Air to get the 12.9" screen. However, that £200 doesn't only get me the larger screen, but it's also the XDR variant. Now while the Liquid Retina screens are all very, VERY good, the XDR one truly is noticably better still. Brighter, for a start. I would not pay the extra in order to get XDR over standard Liquid Retina, but given I need to go Pro to get the 12.9 screen version, getting XDR with it is nice. Only applies to the 12.9" version though - 11" Pro isn't the XDR one. Next gen maybe, but not yet.

And .... having gone Pro, and 12.9" at that, that extra £200 also gets me 1TB of storage, when the Air tops out at 256GB. I actually regard that £200 extra, FOR MY NEEDS, as a no-brainer. I'd do that even if they were all Liquid Retina and none were XDR, so to get the XDR screen, AND quadruple the storage, is a bargain for me.

Of course, I did then think "But M2 is only on 6th Gen, and ....", but as far as I'm concerned, the M1 is a bit of a beast of a chip already and plenty fast for me, really. Another 15-20% grunt from the M2 would be nice, but THAT is when the price differences kick in. To get M2 6th Gen of the same spec as 5th Gen model I settled on would stick another £900-ish on the price. I'd cost something like £500 more over my chosen 5th Gen to go M1 to M2 even if I went back down from 1TB to 256GB. Wowzer. That's one hell of a price premium on M2, even with a few other relatively minor tweaks as well.

I'd like the 6th Gen, mainly for the "hover" feature on the pen, but not at anywhere even close to paying £900 for it, even with an upgrade to M2 thrown in. I actually do regret missing out on hover, and while drawing is certainly part of why I'm getting this (yes, I know MS Surface Pro, even Samsung Android tablets do that too, I had a Surface Pro 'til it died) but frankly, even an ardent non-Apple person like me knows where to go if drawing is a priority. It's secondary for me though, a "want" not a "really need".

Finally, going Pro over Air does have one or two other edges too, not least, Thunderbolt/USB4 support. Woukd I pay loads extra for that? Personally, no, but it's nice to get it.

All that is the result of spending a frankly obscene amount of time trying to get my head around that over-convoluted product matrix of Apple's. I think (hope) I got there, but I have to say, it's left me with a high regard for the craftiness of the marketing people that designed it. It's devious for sure, but downright bleeping killer effective. On me at least. I did NOT start out looking for £1500 quid's worth (including Magic Keyboard and the 2nd Gen pencil) of iPad.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

There is very much a pretty obvious push up the stack with Apple stuff in general, there's the cheaper products that I feel are just to get you into the whole Apple environment, but then, as you say,
    "well, I can get this and it's only £x more"
    Am I happy with the 11'Pro, yes, it does exactly what I said I wanted it for..
    Would I have been happy with the Air, and more storage space, yes...

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Given the cost it's probably worth getting AppleCare+. It was eyewateringly expensive when I got it for my iPad pro back in 2021, BUT there is apparently no limit to the amount of times you can claim on it for accidental damage which is quite frankly a boon when you have an autistic son who frequently launches it across the room. They even send out a replacement before you ship your broken one back.

I was the same as you Saracen, considering lots of different possibilities, but I'd quite like the bigger screen for digital media consumption (and my guitar music). Would I pay £2k for it? Hell no! The deal at Costco though makes it a bit less painful though, and to be honest even the M1 is massive overkill unless you're doing video production on the iPad.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Cool. I've used Songsterr on my Android tablet for a few songs, but for my use the 10.4" screen is too far away to easily see, so I tend to end up printing most stuff out.
    Ooh, not come across Songsterr before, I'll have a play with that when the iPad arrives! Thanks....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    Given the cost it's probably worth getting AppleCare+. It was eyewateringly expensive when I got it for my iPad pro back in 2021, BUT there is apparently no limit to the amount of times you can claim on it for accidental damage which is quite frankly a boon when you have an autistic son who frequently launches it across the room. They even send out a replacement before you ship your broken one back.

I was the same as you Saracen, considering lots of different possibilities, but I'd quite like the bigger screen for digital media consumption (and my guitar music). Would I pay £2k for it? Hell no! The deal at Costco though makes it a bit less painful though, and to be honest even the M1 is massive overkill unless you're doing video production on the iPad.
    I think the last time I saw anythng launched across the room was about 50 years ag .... when my childhood pet budgie took his last flight.

Video production is part of it, as is music production BUT not in a commercial way. I'm ot dong anything paid, just hobbyist. And I have a 5900/3080/32GB laptop herefor the video anyway, so I'm not dependent on he iPad. I will certainly take a look at Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro a look, and especially Procreate. Maybe Affinity Designer, too, as I already have licenced copies of Photo and Designer on PC. Currently, I'm trying out Ableton and Motu Performer Lite, because they came with the Motu audio interface but I still rather like Audacity for recordging and a full DAW is probably overkill for me. After the last time this go discussed, I meant to dig ou my old Cooledit and Cubase boxes but never did. But you know, I have a yonks-old Technics full-size floor-standing organ/keyboard here with a Midi interface that I always meant to hook up (or try to), so maybe .....

I'll take a look at Applecare too, but gotta say, I very rarely get anything damaged. The last time was so long ago I don't even remember when.

Thanks

So, the Great Saracen Apple iPad Pro Adventure (TM) is launched. iPad Pro ordered. Magic KB ordered. Bank account winced.

Now, orf to (probably) Amazon for the pencil, seeing as Costco don't seem to do it. Next, Sonos speakers.
    Last edited by Saracen999; 19-07-2023 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    So, the Great Saracen Apple iPad Pro Adventure (TM) is launched. iPad Pro ordered. Magic KB ordered. Bank account winced.

Now, orf to (probably) Amazon for the pencil, seeing as Costco don't seem to do it. Next, Sonos speakers.
    Let me know if you find a good deal on the pencil. I am weighing up getting one too.

Thread Information