Thread: Ok then i was longing for the 810i to be released...

Thanks

Ok then i was longing for the 810i to be released...

I used to have a SE 610 then moved to a samsung D500, i wanted to replace that so when i heard SE were bringing out the 810i i thought i'd get that due to the mp3 player, 2.0 mp camera and expandable memory, i had no problems at all with my old SE which my mate still bought from me and still uses now. So after much anticipation i got a brand new 810i as soon as it was released.

Anyway i think i'm going to have to send my 810 back, occasionally it switches itself off, and can't be switched back on usless the battery is removed and inserted again, but also the most annoying thing is it's inability to display pictures, when i take a photo and go to view it in the folder sometimes it doesn't display as a thumbnail, when i can see the thumbnail it's extremely rare that i can view a large image, all i can usually see is a blank screen. I've tried uploading the photos to my pc but i can't see them there either, it says in "information" about the image on the phone the file size (eg 60KB) but picture display is 0*0.

This is so annoying, looking through the forums on the net there seems so many issues with their phones across all the models, it seems to me they release them without to much testing or the features and capabilites. I'd expect Sony to be better than this.

I thought i may be able to update the firmware on my phone but it says i have the latest version. Grrrr.

I guess i'll have to send it back then?

Thanks
    • FatalSaviour's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55-GD80
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 860
      • Memory:
      • 4x2GB GEiL PC17000
      • Storage:
      • 3x1000GB, 2x500GB (RAID1), 1x2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 470
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX700
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311, Dell 2005FPW
      • Internet:
      • VM 30Mb
    You might want to see if there's an estimated release date for the next firmware...my K750i's had problems with various functions for the past year, as they've brought out new firmware, which fixed some things, and broke others. That's not to say the phone's not functional, it is, and it works very well, but occasionally there was just an annoying but minor bug or two. Having said that, with the very latest firmware, all seems well.
    Basically, I'd see if there's a new firmware coming out soon. If there is, wait, flash it, see if it solves the majority of problems. If there's no firmware coming soon, or it doesn't fix your problems, and you really are unhappy with it, then yep, send it back .
    K800i's out this month anyway

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    as other have spoken about the phone on here and not had these problems, i would say you got a dud. it happens some times.

where did you get it from? a replacement should be hard to get a hold of.

Thanks
    Got it from e2save.com, i've been looking through the forums etc and not noticed anyone with a similar problem, i first wondered if it was the settings i was taking photos with but on saturday someone bluetoothed me a photo he'd taken (using his SE phone) and i saw it on mine but can't view it any longer. It's not good when i've got a phone that takes photos that i can't view.

I did consider that the phone hasn't been out long and if i send it back pronto i might get other problems with the replacement, i don't want to have to keep sending the thing back all the time, never had to do so before.

I realise everything is prone to problems but i do think that technology used in mobiles should be tested more thoroughly before the models are released, if someone bought a car and kept having to take that back they wouldn't buy another of the same make, it's a really nice phone, if only it worked properly.

Thanks
    Unfortunately, problems like this seem to becoming more frequent.

Most people just blame it on SE, Nokia, etc for releasing too many phones too quickly without proper testing.

While that is very true, and often you do just get a faulty unit anyway, it’s increasingly due to the network operators insistence on using there own modified firmware version, so that they can include there own 'tweaks', cheesy branding and useless s*** like Vodaphone Live and O2 Active crap.

Although there were issues with other networks, most issues with the K750i were down to O2's version. And just look at the mess with O2 XDA Mini s, their original software virtually crippled it. Removing the O2 software and flashing with a new ROM was almost a prerequisite.

I am not saying that this is what has caused your problems, sounds like you just have a bad one, but it really bugs me it does. One of the things I now look for when choosing new model is the ability to flash to a generic and more stable OS.

/rant over. Sorry to hijack ya thread mate

Thanks
    No problem mate It's on the same lines anyhow.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous_dom

Most people just blame it on SE, Nokia, etc for releasing too many phones too quickly without proper testing.

While that is very true, and often you do just get a faulty unit anyway, it’s increasingly due to the network operators insistence on using there own modified firmware version, so that they can include there own 'tweaks', cheesy branding and useless s*** like Vodaphone Live and O2 Active crap.

Although there were issues with other networks, most issues with the K750i were down to O2's version. And just look at the mess with O2 XDA Mini s, their original software virtually crippled it. Removing the O2 software and flashing with a new ROM was almost a prerequisite.

I am not saying that this is what has caused your problems, sounds like you just have a bad one, but it really bugs me it does. One of the things I now look for when choosing new model is the ability to flash to a generic and more stable OS.

I agree I had issues with an old SE phone (I Can't remember which one ), a firmware upgrade would solve this problem available from the SE update site, however Orange for some reason blocked this download? so I could not fix the issues I had with the phone. Orange also denied all knowledge of this recognised issue and I was stuck with it.

The future is not so bright with Orange when things go wrong.

However I do always stick with SE and think they are excellent phones and am also looking for the new K800i phone with 3Mpix camera when it is released - Definately recommended if you are looking to upgrade

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    Indeed there's always bugs with mobiles that should not be.

For example, my trusty old P800 has a bug which causes it to soft reset half-way through a text message composition.

Thanks
    You could do what I did with my Orange branded 810i, which is flash it with the default firmware. Cost me £6.99 (or thereabouts).

About the only traces left now of Orange are the Welcome to Orange text that comes up and the log on the phone's casing. I can probably change the welcome message, but I haven't looked into it.

Cheers,
    Stephen

Thanks
    I think i've found the source of the problem with the images, fake memory stick, i've just read the other thread about them. Good job i didn't send the phone back.

Thanks
    • Barkotron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-A
      • CPU:
      • i7 5820K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Samsung 850 Pro (OS), 512GB Samsung 840 Evo (Games), various other SSD/HDD (storage, work)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d GeForce GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Something Something 800W-ish
      • Case:
      • Define XL
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8.1 x64 (fun!), Win2012 R2 (work)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hazro HR27WD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120Mb
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous_dom

I did wonder if something like this was anything to do with some of the problems I recently had with my new Nokia N91 - the original unit I was sent came chock full of O2 branded stuff, was massively slow, had horrible battery life and after two days finally gave up the ghost and refused to turn on any more. I think the main issue was probably a faulty hard drive rather than the branding though.

Took it into the shop (Carphone Warehouse), they got another one out of stock, much better battery life, no more O2 rubbish all over it, no more "retry or data will be lost" messages. I'm guessing the original was just a dud unit - I'm still happier without the branding though .

Great phone, by the way .

Thread Information