Thread: scary crash

Thanks

scary crash

My pc is giving me grief. Something seems to be rather wrong.

I recently removed my old 9800pro AIW and put in an nvidia 6200 (the cheap one scan sell on today only quite often). All seemed fine and dandy. I did have an issue with the psu/motherboard getting their wires crossed (so to speak) during the swapover but everything was working after a little coaxing. Then I tried to boot up and it did this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zg5xcaM7Nc

It sort of very slowly responds to inputs though it's too painful to leve it for long.

It did this yesterday, I hit reset and it then wouldn't even show me a bios/boot screen (!)

then left it to sit a while, tried again, it let me into the bios, and then let me into XP safe mode no problem, and subsequently rebooted into XP just fine. It's now doing the same thing this morning...

any ideas? suggestions?

Thanks
    • Max Tractor's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TA890GXE
      • CPU:
      • 95w 1055T@x4-3.5Ghz-1.15v
      • Memory:
      • Samsung Green 30nm low voltage 2x4GB@1.26v
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 3 60GB-Sandisk Extreme 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 7850 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-1050XM
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster elite 120(Modd)
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ EW2430
    Did you clean out the ati drivers with driver cleaner?

Thanks
    seems like graphics card issue. If drivercleaner doesn't work then you might have to clean install...
    Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz (400Mhzx8) 1.52V (set in bios, 1.47v real) | 4GB GeIL PC6400 4-4-4-12 | Gigabyte DQ6 @ 1600Mhz | HD2900XT 1GB | Enermax Infiniti 720W | Silverstone TJ07-B with custom watercooling | BenQ FP241WZ
    3dmark05 - 13140 | 3dmark06 - 6698 | SuperPi 1M - 15s

www.dougmcdonald.co.uk
    Thanks
    • DougMcDonald's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Inter Core 2 Duo E6600
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 2GB - Geil Black Dragon PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 400GB Samsung Spinpoints (Running in Matrix array) 100GB @ RAID0 + 300GB @ RAID1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG nVidia 8800GTS 320MB OC2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W modular
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC7 II Plus
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 17" Flat Thingy
      • Internet:
      • Crappy BT 1MB Unreliable wank :s
    I would be tempted to remove all traces of any gfx installed, physically remove all gfx cards and boot up (you should get the nice healthy mobo beep!)

Then turn it off, and physically put in the new gfx card - when you get into windows, you should trigger the hardware wizard again, which should hopefully get over the problems you are seeing. Install the drivers as requested and you should be ok.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks
    (Warning: you'll have to bear with me - this is a loooong post )

I think I used the ATI removal tool thingy.
    but the problems I have seem more than software (I did mean to post in the hardware forum ) ...or at least they really do now!

Quote Originally Posted by DougMcDonald View Post
    (nice healthy mobo beep!)
    I'm pretty sure I haven't got a pc-speaker connected though I could probably find a speaker of some sort deep in my box of stuff that could be hooked up.

Problem has now split into two (at least) separate (I think) issues. The psu/boot issue and the AGP/graphics issue. They may or may not be related.

1) the psu/start issue:
    If I unplug the psu from the mains for "too long" (maybe 10-20 seconds?) then, once the mains is plugged back in, the pc just doesn't respond at all - psu remains in standby.
    This can be resolved by:
    a: unplug mains
    b: create a short between the green and black wires
    c: plug psu into mains (there's no on/off switch, just the plug)
    --at this point the psu turns on, fans start spinning, hard drives might turn on, etc--
    d:hit the reset switch and at the same time remove the short across the green-black wires...or something similar to this
    e:computer will now respond normally to the power/reset buttons untill such time as the mains is turned off again for too long.

now to me this suggests a bios issue. iirc the bios had a bad checksum each time I got the pc running again, though I cannot be sure due to the number of resets I did trying to get the gpu(s) to work.

2) Graphics and/or AGP connection
    I have a silverstone LC11 case so I use a riser and an extender for the AGP card, giving ample opportunity for loose/bad connections .
    Now, once the PC is running okay as per issue 1) I then have to contend with the graphics.

A:If I leave the AGP slot empty (this includes the riser and extender pieces as they are really just extensions) then the pc seems to be perfectly happy using the onboard graphics and boots accordingly. setup/bios shows up without any problems. Unfortunately it's a cheap graphics system and doesn't seem to do 1680x1050 out which is what my monitor wants ideally.

B:I put my 9800pro back into the AGP slot. PC seems to boot okay, although there's a pretty good chance of corrupted output (weird brightly coloured characters instead of half the normal boot/bios screen for example) This seems to be related to the AGP connections as if I turn off, reseat the card, turn on it has a small chance of starting up fine. Usually putting the cover on and turning the case back upright (lc11 is a strange upside down affair ) is enough to corrupt the image again. When it does work okay I quite often get artifacting under windows after a while (perhaps some fan isn't getting power).
    --the crucial thing wrt C is that it does at least boot something even if it is corrupted/artifacted half the time--

C:I put the 6200 in the AGP slot and I get nothing. No boot screen, no bios, nothing.

It would seem to me I have three possible issues (at least):

Probably a dead bios battery, though I cannot recall a battery preventing the pc from booting before. Normally you just get a bad checksum. In my case I have to manually start the psu the first time around, then I get the bad checksum. Could this be a bios battery thing?

Dodgy AGP connection path (isn't it always?)

possibly a 6200 that has died - the 9800pro at least still has a go when it's plugged in.

What to do now - for now I will live with the onboard graphics as I haven't the time to mess about with it. Once I do have the time I will take the motherboard out the box and try the gfx cards direct in the agp slot, thus removing two links in the dodgy-connection chain. Hopefully by that time I should also be buying new parts so might have a spare (and definitely powerful-enough) PSU to try as well. Won't have another AGP slot of course

Thanks for the help so far though much appreciated - if you do think of anything...
    Last edited by jamena; 03-06-2007 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks
    • xAmritx's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi
      • CPU:
      • E6600 Core2Duo
      • Memory:
      • 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC-6400 DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 750GB Western Digital WD7500AAKS | 750GB Seagate Barricuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTX OC2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Windowed
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" LG L226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 24mb O2 sync'd @ 10mb for £5/month (suck on that virgin!)
    I think its the refresh rate m8, go start-->run-->dxdiag

then go to "more help" tab and then click "overide" button and shove in the refresh rate in your monitors specs. If it works then go into your gfx setting set the refresh rate in there and delete the overide in dxdiag.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xAmritx View Post
    I think its the refresh rate m8, go start-->run-->dxdiag

then go to "more help" tab and then click "overide" button and shove in the refresh rate in your monitors specs. If it works then go into your gfx setting set the refresh rate in there and delete the overide in dxdiag.
    but it's a TFT so the default 60Hz is all it needs. And as I said the PC does boot with the onboard gfx and the 9800pro (ignoring the artifacting)

Thread Information