Thread: psubuntu... experiences?

Thanks

psubuntu... experiences?

thinking about buying a ps3 in the next few months...
    would be really nice to run it as a pc aswell...
    run ubuntu as it is...
    I've read briefly about it on their forums but they don't seem to be that populated so i thought i'd ask you lot what your experiences with it are...
    psubuntu how does it compare for example to a desktop 2.2ghz 400fsb 1gb ram 9600xt 128mb running ubuntu 7.04.
    what performance is possible with it? can i use it as i would with my current pc setup?
    does it play xvid/divx/mpeg etc etc fullscreen nicely? does it multitask? firefox/downloads/wine/music/video something like that?
    just wondering because i know theres alot of spec but it seems at a glance around 200mb available for it:S when in linux.i did briefly read about a "swap" using compact flash/memory cards?whats wrong with the normal swap on the hdd?does it not have one?
    It would be really interesting to find out what speeds are like with this hardware.i know its a ppc and the other cores aren't but thats about all i know:\
    could i run say 1600x1200@75hz whilst using fullscreen video and things like that for example?

sorry this post is abit muddled up i wanted to say everything before i forgot what i wanted to ask haha.

cheers for any insights people

hope to here on the subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz regarding the Apple Mighty Mouse
    I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

Good riddance. Wish I'd done it about a year ago.

Thanks
    for you keef - forget it, use it as a PS3 only.
    It is Inevitable.....

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    ps3 linux is crippled and a waste of time.

no graphics drivers, no hope of graphics drivers, so performance for things like video is what you'd expect from windows using the "standard vga adapter" driver

only a bit worse

Thanks
    Directhex is right. Sony have allowed Linux to run, but wont release details on the graphics chip, so there are no drivers for it, meaning it cant do anything of any real worth to us i.e. play movies and handle decent resolutions

Thanks
    ikonia do you spend all your time refreshing every thread in hope that you can flame me? seems very sad your always in anything i post about.shame really should focus on the discussion on merely not post at all.i mean how old are you?your pratically name calling on the childish scale...
    ANYWAY...
    i was reading up on a thread on another forum just now and saw this.seems like the anti piracy theory of the poster makes sense...
    Unfortunately, unless someone finds a hole in Sony's hypervisor, it won't ever be possible to use hardware video acceleration in Linux on the PS3 without hardware modification.

I'm not sure exactly what the motivation is...my guess is that Sony made it possible to put Linux on the PS3 because they would dearly love to hurt Microsoft by getting someone to switch to Linux. And, of course, getting a little community cred doesn't hurt.

I won't bash the fact that there is a hypervisor, since I think it does something valuable: it makes it possible to install any PPC version of Linux, without special modifications. Without the Hypervisor, Linux would have access to the entire hard-drive, and it would be possible to overwrite the GameOS when installing Linux, so Linux distributions would have to be carefully tailored to the PS3 before new Linux users could install them...one would have to take care to avoid formatting the drive when installing Linux. With the hypervisor, Linux can't see the GameOS partition, and can't write to it, making Linux installations safer.

The downside of the hypervisor is that Sony decided to make it impossible to use the video card from within Linux, which means the PS3 Linux experience is disappointing, unless you wanted to use your PS3 for word processing. It makes a decent low-powered server, but not a very good home theater PC. My guess would be that they were afraid (perhaps justifiably, though I don't know enough about the subject to say) of the potential that someone might write a PS3 on PS3 emulator (or a WINE-like API implementation), which could result in piracy before the system becomes obsolete.
    I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

Thanks
    I posted 40 minutes after you posted harldy refreshing every minute is it, and I'm not name calling I'm advising you that as you are struggling to use an operating system that is fully supported and official and an official product release, then using an unofficial small in comparison supported release on propritary and crippled hardware is not for you.

If you check every thread I've ever posted to you its been with sound technical advise that you fail to understand or follow, hence why I didn't explain this in great detail and just said "for you - use it as a PS3 only"
    It is Inevitable.....

7. Received thanks from:

TiG (20-06-2007)

Thanks
    see your judging me because wow I've had problems before??? so what who doesn't when migrating to something new?
    i use ubuntu fine thankyou. its my main os.i dual boot with xp for games but thats as far as it goes.
    i have learnt alot from help gathered and googling and support in forums such as these.just because i ask for something thats "in the wiki:|" doesn't mean that I'm not looking it just means i either want it simplified or further steps for a possible question i might have about whats listed on the wiki ETC ETC. the POINT would be that obviously if i'm asking here i'm stuck so the "wiki" might not be understandable or lacking or carrying to much info for what I'm looking for at the time which could make things worse all together.either way i shouldn't have to KEEP explaining myself.its a place for helping others not bitching... so obviously if I'm posting asking for help then thats what I want. NOT bitching. so If I ask for help on things you know why not continue to help me or just not at all as I'm really not interested in childish assumptions or theorys of what you gather my understands on linux are or what you think I'm capable of... OK?

Thanks
    I'm not judging you, although it is clear from the level of questions and expected level of response you get and your inability to respond to simple technical advice, and in some case you inability to ask a question its clear that your level of ability with this new to you operating system is low, as it should be. No-one is expecting you to know everything about an operating system that is new to you, and people in many of your threads have tried to help you ranging from basic to highly technical detail, yet you still seem unable to grasp this. So again - I say to you as I say to anyone with a very basic and beginner level of experience " use it as a PS3 - nothing more "

I love the fact you believe I'm being childish when its clear from pretty much all the posts you make, your own level of maturity. Before retorting with another mind numbing response re-read your threads including the ones where you apologise to me and other people for your attitude and come back with pathetic excuses like "I'm really tired" and "I just want it to work" and you may understand why you look like such a child/pain in the neck.
    It is Inevitable.....

10. Received thanks from:

TiG (20-06-2007)

Thanks
    to be honest i really can't be bothered with this endless dispute.the reason i said the above was because of the impression what you replied with was implying... you made it personal by saying "for you keef" you didn't make it generic to anyone...
    anyway i can't be bothered so amuse yourself.
    as for appologising yeah people have bad days and when your tired and are trying to solve things they annoy you more when you cannot fix your problem... so ofcourse when trying to solve an error and tired it makes the frustration level twice as high thus rushing a thread for help and wording it badly is an easy mistake to make.
    either way i run ubuntu dedicated as my main os without a problem and use it for a variety of tasks so I'm sure i have good enough of an understanding to use it effectively and reliably- but thanks for your concerns lol.
    have a nice day mate

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Keef, what you seem to struggle with is that you are asking for advice. That means that you are looking for people to guide you. Given that you do seem to struggle to follow simple instructions to look after relatively simple instructions in linux, does changing a PS3 not designed for Linux to run it for fun really strike you as sensible?.

No of course it doesn't which is why people with experienced heads are advising against this, to prevent you from destroying your PS3.

Yes it is a very cool and geeky thing to run linux on a ps3, but it also requires some much higher level of knowledge about linux than you currently posess. Learn Ubuntu, learn how to do stuff with it and learn from your experience so that you don't feel you have to ask advice so often.

Then maybe look, but not now.

TiG

Thanks
    can you two stop flirting please

use the ignore list if you get on each others nerves that much.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

14. Received thanks from:

keef247 (20-06-2007)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TiG View Post
    Keef, what you seem to struggle with is that you are asking for advice. That means that you are looking for people to guide you. Given that you do seem to struggle to follow simple instructions to look after relatively simple instructions in linux, does changing a PS3 not designed for Linux to run it for fun really strike you as sensible?.

No of course it doesn't which is why people with experienced heads are advising against this, to prevent you from destroying your PS3.

Yes it is a very cool and geeky thing to run linux on a ps3, but it also requires some much higher level of knowledge about linux than you currently posess. Learn Ubuntu, learn how to do stuff with it and learn from your experience so that you don't feel you have to ask advice so often.

Then maybe look, but not now.

TiG
    WHAT are you talking about LOL! destroying your ps3?do you even know what you are talking about as you have blatantly been PM'd to join in to backup ikonia... because if you knew about it you'd know its safe to install psubuntu... it dual boots/boots off a memory card etc etc.it has the hypervisor to protect such dangers hence the safeness of it:S it was designed to allow implementation of a secondary OS support. as for ubuntu etc i have learn it.i've used it for around 3months solidly. I happily install apps and use a variety of features to boot. all i ask is opinions on software? which if your going to be that picky and moan about is the same as asking for opinions on games/hardware etc... so if your going to bitch about personal opinion/experience etc etc then people will never learn about anything new from word of mouth.
    but yeah lets so flirting and get down to it yeah we should all be helpful not shoot each other down is what I'm saying!

Thanks
    this is amazing - I've not pm'd anyone to "join in" or back me up - this is what happens keef247 people express their views to you and you go on crazy tagents assuming people are pm'ing each other to back each other up. that maybe how it works in high school - but not in the real world.

If your so up on how it works keef, would you mind explaining what a hypervisor is.....didn't think so.
    It is Inevitable.....

Thanks
    Darn I'd typed a nice long litte apres close for this......

I shouldn't have to be closing threads in here. Thats usually reserved for my GD hat.

Personally I would have thought your query was answered after directhex's post ?

It not worth bricking a £400 games console over

EDIT: If I get wind of any more rude PM's from anyone over threads in this forum , they'll be looking at a weeks holiday.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thread Information