Thanks

Rundll32 Has Stopped Working

Hi,

I get the folowing error message when amending any contact info:

RUNDLL32 HAS STOPPED WORKING

I am running Vista Ultimate with all updates

Any help in rectifying the problem would be very much appreciated

Splash
    Have you tried using the reporting tool? It often can give you a fix.

RUNDLL32 is used to run a DLL as an application, and as such you really need to establish which DLL is causing the issue. Try Process Explorer to see if you can find a DLL that is chewing through CPU time at an abnormal rate.

Thanks
    Hi,

I found this solution to isolating the problem on another forum which worked. Error messages disappeared once the offending had been removed from the list of start up programs.

Please follow these instructions to check which software is causing this issue:

1. Click on Pearl (Start Button), in the serach box type:

msconfig

and hit the enter key on the keyboard. It should open the System Configuration Utility window.

2. Click on Services over the top and then at the bottom right corner, put a check in the "Hide all Microsoft services" checkbox.

3. Click on "Disable All" button.

4. Click on "Startup" tab, and then click on "Disable All" button again.

5. Press OK button and then "Restart" button on the following window. Let the computer restart.

6. Once you're back on the desktop, you'd get a window for System Configuration Utility. Put a check in the box "Don't Show....." and then press OK button.

7. Now, once again check the issue. If the issue is resolved, open System Configuration Windows again and then enable all the services from Services tab and then check the issue after restarting the computer in the same way as mentioned above.

8. If issue is still resolved, enable half of the Startup items from Startup tab and then check issue.

9. If issue occurs again, it means, there's a culprit in the checked startup items. But if issue doesn't occur, then issue could be with rest of the Startup items. Now, uncheck the first half startup items (that were check before), and then check rest of the half items. Check the issue again.......

10. Now, if the issue occurs, then make a note of all the names of the startup items and then follow the same procedure, for them. Now, you need to be careful, as by design the System Configuration will sort all the enable startup items to the top. So, it means all the entries would be mixed on next reboot. From now on you need to make a note of all the entries that you're enabling or disabling........

I know guys it's a bit lengthy process, but trust me it works in both XP and Vista. I'm one of the Microsoft XP/Vista Techs............BEST OF LUCK...........!!!!!!!

Splash
    Yep, so long as you're aware that by doing that (disabling all non-MS services) you're most likely disabling your antivirus... I know it's a short term troubleshooting thing, but Process Explorer would have made this so much easier and quicker.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20
    Yeah as splash said i would have thought that route to finding out is a last resort. Just checking the system process probs would have told you as whichever one was the culpret would have been usin 50%CPU (if you are on dual)

Thread Information