Thread: Synchronization Software

Thanks

Synchronization Software

OK, folks, here's the problem. Many of my friends have cameras, nearly all of them take photographs at resolutions far higher than free web services will allow us to upload on a regular basis. So, as the group's general techie, I'm looking to implement something to solve a couple of problems - we want to be able to distribute the pictures freely, and we want to back them up.

The first thing that comes to mind (for me, at least), is running an ftp server on my own internet connection - it's easily fast enough to cope with the piddling upload speeds my friends will be using. This server will basically act as a mirror for everyone's photos, and thus as a sort of backup.

Really, my question is - is there any (free) ftp software (or maybe some sort of browser based tool) out there that has any sort of 'one-touch synchronization' feature, which would hopefully be configurable (i.e you can specify to synchronize up, but not down automatically, specific folders, etc).

If not - any further ideas on how to do this (bar getting them all just to ftp in and fiddle around, which they could do, but it's a little inelegant) would be greatly appreciated.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Synchronization Software

Set up a web server and run gallery2

http://gallery.menalto.com/

I run that for a family web site. I run mine on a linux machine with apache as the webserver, but as it is PHP based it should run on a windows platform. You will need a web server. (Apache - which will also run under windows). Alternatively use a hosting service which offers Apache and PHP support hat.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thread Information