• 520W Corsair HX Series Modular PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hanns.G HW191D 19"
      • Internet:
      • Nildram ADSL

SP2 and WPA

I'm having some problems with getting wireless to work under Windows XP (PRO) SP2.

I've got a new system and i'm trying to use my old Linksys PCI WMPG54 wireless adapter to connect to my home network. It's installed fine and Windows picks up the network but cant connect to it as it doesn't seem to support WPA. My Computer definitely states 'Service Pack 2' and when I go to the wireless adapter and choose to add the connection manually it only shows the encryption type as disabled or WEP, no WPA.

I've tried looking for Windows Hotfixes but only come across ones to be used on SP1 machines that upgrade to SP2. Being on SP2 already means I can't use them.

Any help would be greaty appreciated.

*Edit: I have MS firewall turned off etc

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: SP2 and WPA

Therte was a long post about this recently, but basically some wureless chipsets had drivers that supported WPA under XP basic, but development stopped and they stopped working when SP2 came out. I don't know what chipset the linksys card uses, but that may be one of them.

The solutions are:

1. Go back to pre SP2 version of XP (bad idea)
    2. Live with it and use WEP (less risky than running without SP2) and probably good enough unless you are likely to be specifically targeted)
    3. Buy a new wireless card.

If you want the full details, do a search on the forums (or look through Ikonia's posts as I recall he gave advice and details in the other post.)

Just found the post - here http://forums.hexus.net/operating-sy...s-wep-wpa.html
    Last edited by peterb; 17-11-2007 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Added link
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

I'd say running with WEP could be almost as bad as running pre SP2 XP - as there are tools out there to crack WEP in just under a minute if enough data is flowing through the wireless network - so virtually ANYONE could access your internet connection, and your PC with no firewall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrcrazy04 View Post
    I'd say running with WEP could be almost as bad as running pre SP2 XP - as there are tools out there to crack WEP in just under a minute if enough data is flowing through the wireless network - so virtually ANYONE could access your internet connection, and your PC with no firewall.
    That is true - but only of someone can be bothered to find your network and go to the effort of actually cracking it - the risk of that depends on where you live, what you are known to be processing - and to say that anyone could do it is an exaguration!

I have used WEP for two ior three years in both a rural and an urban setting, and my network has not been cracked - there have been attempts to use it (in the urban location) but they have never been successful. And if you are processing data that is that sensitive, I would suggest that you shouldn't be using wireless anyway, or use vpn over the wireless link.

There is a lot of hype/scaremongering over cracking WEP - the fact that it is possible doesn't necessarily mean that it will happen to you - do you not go out because you might get run over?

However it comes down to your risk assessment - only you can decide what level of risk you can accept. If you think that WEP is too risky for your situation - then buy a new wireless card and use WPA, or use EP and change the key daily. Whatever you feel is best for you.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    That is true - but only of someone can be bothered to find your network and go to the effort of actually cracking it - the risk of that depends on where you live, what you are known to be processing - and to say that anyone could do it is an exaguration!
    Yeah, I guess I did over exagerate there, your basic PC user wouldn't be able to access it, but a more skilled user may do (or a script kiddie!). I'm currently in university halls surrounded by other network security students - so I have to make my wireless network (which I have to have, as I can't run cables from the router around the flat) as secure as possible!

And also, regarding data on the network - I'd say credit card details stored in any bills you have on your computer, or from when you did internet shopping, or details from online banking could well be worth it for a hacker - if they're inside your network and firewall in a minute, they can do whatever they need to.
    Admittedly an open network would be an easier target, and from a small survey my university did, around 25% of wireless networks are open (survey isn't complete, that's a preliminary result), so WEP might be bearable - but I would rather have something I know is currently very hard to crack over something that is easily crackable.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • awzm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35E
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • 2x Crucial Ballistix 1GB DDR2 PC2 6400 800MHz
      • Storage:
      • 2x 320 Gb Samsung HD321KJ Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 768MB ScanFX 8800GTX, PCI-E
      • PSU:
      • 520W Corsair HX Series Modular PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hanns.G HW191D 19"
      • Internet:
      • Nildram ADSL

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

We've been using WPA for 2/3 years now and ideally I think I'd prefer to keep using it over WEP. However I don't think the problem is with the 'T30 drivers' as mentioned in http://forums.hexus.net/operating-sy...s-wep-wpa.html

The problem seems to lie with XP and SP2. The particular wireless card I'm using on my new machine I previously used on my old machine with WPA. Surely if the card could do it before it can do it now? I've formatted my C drive a couple of times and put SP2 on and still it cant connect. Adding it manually still only brings up the Disabled/WEP option for encryption. If that's the problem then I'm not sure a new wireless adapter would work at all. That and I really don't plan to go on to Vista any time soon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrcrazy04 View Post
    Yeah, I guess I did over exagerate there, your basic PC user wouldn't be able to access it, but a more skilled user may do (or a script kiddie!). I'm currently in university halls surrounded by other network security students - so I have to make my wireless network (which I have to have, as I can't run cables from the router around the flat) as secure as possible!

And also, regarding data on the network - I'd say credit card details stored in any bills you have on your computer, or from when you did internet shopping, or details from online banking could well be worth it for a hacker - if they're inside your network and firewall in a minute, they can do whatever they need to.
    Admittedly an open network would be an easier target, and from a small survey my university did, around 25% of wireless networks are open (survey isn't complete, that's a preliminary result), so WEP might be bearable - but I would rather have something I know is currently very hard to crack over something that is easily crackable.
    Yes, I guess in that situation you are at risk from someone attacking ypur network "just because they can". You don't say if you have your own router - some (mine) can be set so that connecting clients can only access the internet, not the lan, wirelessly, although allowing anyone to use your internet connection is undesireable - you don't know what they are browsing, and they are using your bandwidth.

However protecting your data is another issue - and sensitive data could be held on a removeable media (although in danger then of being stolen) or on an encrypted directory or partition, either on the main hard drive or removeable media.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awzm View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far guys.

We've been using WPA for 2/3 years now and ideally I think I'd prefer to keep using it over WEP. However I don't think the problem is with the 'T30 drivers' as mentioned in http://forums.hexus.net/operating-sy...s-wep-wpa.html

The problem seems to lie with XP and SP2. The particular wireless card I'm using on my new machine I previously used on my old machine with WPA. Surely if the card could do it before it can do it now? I've formatted my C drive a couple of times and put SP2 on and still it cant connect. Adding it manually still only brings up the Disabled/WEP option for encryption. If that's the problem then I'm not sure a new wireless adapter would work at all. That and I really don't plan to go on to Vista any time soon.

I'm not convinced - however... The linksys card uses a Broadcom BCM4306 chip at its heart.

This link Broadcom BCM4306 Driver Summary describes a driver for that chipset and windows XP so it might be worth a try. I only offer it as a sugestion - try it at your own risk. You might want to read round the driver to see if it is applicable to your situation (not that loading it is likely to do any damage even if it is unsuitable)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thread Information