Thread: Installing Windows XP (preparation & advice on setup)

Thanks
    • Mithrandir's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TP45-HP
      • CPU:
      • C2D e4600 (w/ Xigmatek Red Scorpion)
      • Memory:
      • OCZ ReaperX (2x2gb)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition
      • PSU:
      • Xigmatek NRP-MC651
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Cavalier 3 silver (windowed)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu Siemens SCALEOVIEW D22W-1

Installing Windows XP (preparation & advice on setup)

I'm looking to install Windows XP from scratch, but wanted to find out any good tips or advice on setup (apart from updating SP).
    I'd be interested to know any servic es I should enable or disable that might pose a security risk (I know I should disable the messaging service for one), the indexing service, Noting any ref numbers, etc in case I need to reactivate.

Any tips will be much appreciated.
    Cavalier-X: Biostar TP45-HP ¦ E4600@3.1ghz - Xigmatek Red Scorpion (OCZ Freeze) ¦ OCZ ReaperX 2x2gb (792mhz @ 4-4-4--12) ¦ Xigmatek NRP-MC651 ¦
    Palit 8800gt ¦ X-fi Fatal1ty Gamer ¦ Coolermaster Cavalier 3 (Silver/Windowed) ¦

Poseidon Magma: MSI P45 Zilent ¦ E6300@3.0ghz - Coolermaster Hyper 212 (MX-2) ¦ Corsair 2x2gb (880mhz @ 5-5-5-15) ¦ Corsair HX450w ¦
    xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition (780/1950/1000) ¦ X-fi Gamer ¦ Gigabyte Poseiden ¦

Thanks
    • streetster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 750 2.67 @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Drives [RAID0]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xSapphire HD 4870 512MB CrossFireX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Black Widow
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2311
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 50Mb

Re: Installing Windows XP (preparation & advice on setup)

if you're behind a router you should be safe enough to grab all the windows updates

also once in windows set the page file to 0mb, reboot, defrag, then set the pagefile to be 1.5* your ram, it should be lumped as one block - but that is more of a 'general windows' tip than a fresh install tip...

3. Received thanks from:

Mithrandir (27-01-2008)

Thanks

Grab nLite, will make things easier

Make sure you have SP2 slipstreamed onto it.
    Grab RVMUpdatePack2.1.11, from Ryan VM and integrate it, that will cover almost all of the windows updates.
    Add any drivers that you like, such as ethernet, which may not be integrated into windows. This will then allow you online right away to download any other drives (I hate having a system with no net access - which you need to get the drivers for net access )
    You can integrate all the drivers you need, but these often won't install the control panels that come attached to the .exe driver install (Think nVidia).
    Have a browse of the Ryan VM forums and install any additions you like (I generally grab the latest Firefox and Kels_FindTarget_addon). The latter will add a "find target" menu when right clicking on a shortcut - very handy
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

5. Received thanks from:

Mithrandir (27-01-2008)

Thanks
    • Mithrandir's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TP45-HP
      • CPU:
      • C2D e4600 (w/ Xigmatek Red Scorpion)
      • Memory:
      • OCZ ReaperX (2x2gb)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition
      • PSU:
      • Xigmatek NRP-MC651
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Cavalier 3 silver (windowed)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu Siemens SCALEOVIEW D22W-1

Thanks fot the tips. Also I was thinking of using True Image to create an image straight after a fresh install and optimsation and to activate WinXP. Will I need to reactive XP if I have to use the image?
    Cavalier-X: Biostar TP45-HP ¦ E4600@3.1ghz - Xigmatek Red Scorpion (OCZ Freeze) ¦ OCZ ReaperX 2x2gb (792mhz @ 4-4-4--12) ¦ Xigmatek NRP-MC651 ¦
    Palit 8800gt ¦ X-fi Fatal1ty Gamer ¦ Coolermaster Cavalier 3 (Silver/Windowed) ¦

Poseidon Magma: MSI P45 Zilent ¦ E6300@3.0ghz - Coolermaster Hyper 212 (MX-2) ¦ Corsair 2x2gb (880mhz @ 5-5-5-15) ¦ Corsair HX450w ¦
    xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition (780/1950/1000) ¦ X-fi Gamer ¦ Gigabyte Poseiden ¦

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Thanks fot the tips. Also I was thinking of using True Image to create an image straight after a fresh install and optimsation and to activate WinXP. Will I need to reactive XP if I have to use the image?
    Provided nothing has changed that would cause a reactivation normally, you will not need to reactivate after expanding the image back onto the drive - assuming its already been activated before hand (Sorry if that sounds confusing )

8. Received thanks from:

Mithrandir (27-01-2008)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

You might want to think about partition layout. Having an OS on one partition and another for your data make re-installation of thye OS a lot simpler. You do need to do a bit of post-installation configuration to make sure all the shortcuts for my documents etc point to the partition you are reserving for data, but it is worth it (IMHO). It also makes backing up a bit simpler.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

10. Received thanks from:

Mithrandir (27-01-2008)

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    You might want to think about partition layout. Having an OS on one partition and another for your data make re-installation of the OS a lot simpler. You do need to do a bit of post-installation configuration to make sure all the shortcuts for my documents etc point to the partition you are reserving for data, but it is worth it (IMHO). It also makes backing up a bit simpler.
    I used to do that, but I reached the conclusion that it is not worth the trouble. It is easy to miss-calculate how much disc space you need for windows, apps & data and then it is hard to change the partion layout, epecaly if you leave it untill space is very low untill you try. The only exception would be if have a class of data that is very large and can easily fill up the disc and stop other stuff from working. For example I am into video editing, and I can easily put 50Gb onto my C Drive in an afternoon. For me it would be a good idea if I created a second partion for that data so that when I fill up the drive with video clips, I don't stop windows from working properly.

For doing the install, I would try to get hold of an install disc that has as many updates slipstreamed into it as possible. I have an XP one with service pack 2 and updates to april 2007, and when it installs I don't have to many extra updates to install. Personally I don't know how to make those slipstreamed discs, but if you ask around you will probably find someone who does, and can give you a more recent image. (NB: I am not condoning piracy. These slipstreamed install discs still need a valid key to activate, they just install windows with updates pre-applied.)

Another option would be to apply the beta of XP service pack 3 to your new install, as it will contain all the updates up to about December 2007, and if if messes up your system you won't have lost much time by removing it and starting again.

12. Received thanks from:

Mithrandir (27-01-2008)

Thanks

Last time I did this I think I made a 40Gb partition for Windows and all regularly used applications (antivirus, firewall, firefox etc). Then install all games and other stuff that chews through space on the rest of the drive (or a different drive). I've heard 10Gb is enough for the Windows partition as long as you are diligent about installing stuff elsewhere. This is purely to make re-installing easier, just format the windows partition and re-install and you still have all your media etc safe.

Quote Originally Posted by chrestomanci View Post
    For doing the install, I would try to get hold of an install disc that has as many updates slipstreamed into it as possible. I have an XP one with service pack 2 and updates to april 2007, and when it installs I don't have to many extra updates to install. Personally I don't know how to make those slipstreamed discs, but if you ask around you will probably find someone who does, and can give you a more recent image. (NB: I am not condoning piracy. These slipstreamed install discs still need a valid key to activate, they just install windows with updates pre-applied.)
    I think the programme is called nlite, I have a slipstreamed SP2 disc somewhere. I'm curious though, is it possible to slipstream generic SATA drivers onto the install disc so there is no need for a floppy during install? I still use a floppy for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JPreston View Post
    Last time I did this I think I made a 40Gb partition for Windows and all regularly used applications (antivirus, firewall, firefox etc). Then install all games and other stuff that chews through space on the rest of the drive (or a different drive). I've heard 10Gb is enough for the Windows partition as long as you are diligent about installing stuff elsewhere. This is purely to make re-installing easier, just format the windows partition and re-install and you still have all your media etc safe.

I think the programme is called nlite, I have a slipstreamed SP2 disc somewhere. I'm curious though, is it possible to slipstream generic SATA drivers onto the install disc so there is no need for a floppy during install? I still use a floppy for that.
    I swear my posts are invisible sometimes
    Yup, its called nLite and it will practically slipstream any driver onto the disk, including any that you may need to load off a floppy

The only issue with installing the programs on a separate drive/partition, is that some may still need reinstalling (even back to the same location) due to the lost registry settings when you reinstall Windows

Thread Information