Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is recommended-Vista Basic vs XP Pro for complete newbie to computers?

X10
    Registered+
    Thanks

Which is recommended-Vista Basic vs XP Pro for complete newbie to computers?

Hello all,
    My girlfriend recently had a laptop bought for her with Vista Basic pre-loaded on it.
    I'd like to know what the general jist of things is with regards to the 'usability' of Windows Vista Basic vs. Windows XP Pro is.

She is a complete newbie when it comes to computers, her extent of use is she can type and save a Word Document and check her Hotmail, that is it.

I thought that Vista had been designed with complete newbies in mind with it's bells and whistles, that I as a seasoned user would just find annoying, but might be better for her as someone that isn't very logical.

I'll most likely be supporting her to help do things, but as I have no experience with Vista, and loading it up & seeing it the first time really put me off, I considered putting XP Pro onto it.

So what do you all think, would she be better off learning to use her own first computer with Vista Basic or should I install XP Pro?

All help and advice appreciated.
    (Feel free to point me in the right direction if such a question has been dealt with already, I did a search but couldn't find anything as specific).
    X10

Thanks

Re: Which is recommended-Vista Basic vs XP Pro for complete newbie to computers?

From a user interface point of view, there isn't a huge amount of changes between them.
    Control panel is a bit different, a few icons have changed locations, it looks a bit prettier....but that's about it really.
    Microsoft would never go changing things enough so that users of XP had to re-learn Vista. It would be suicide.

I'm almost certain when I say that any seasoned XP user would have no problem finding out everythings 'new' place in Vista within a week of casual use.
    If you are considering going back to XP purely based on usability, I really wouldn't worry
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • -iceblade^'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Neo2 FR
      • CPU:
      • Intel E2160 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2x 1gb GEIL Black Dragon DDR-800
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital 320mb AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gecube HD3870 X-Turbo III O.C. Edition
      • PSU:
      • Hiper HPU4m 580W
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yuraku 22" Widescreen LCD

Re: Which is recommended-Vista Basic vs XP Pro for complete newbie to computers?

well, if she wants to learn how to use computers, please don't limit her teaching with XP Pro... Vista basic is fine if she just needs plain, simple functionality, and nothing else, though.

Nothing runs like a Deere cotswoldcs's Avatar
    Thanks
    • cotswoldcs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Pentium 4 3.0Ghz Northwood (@3.4Ghz on water)
      • Memory:
      • 1.5Gb Corsair TwinX PC3200/PC3700
      • Storage:
      • 150Gb Raptor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 6600GT 128Mb (w waterblock)
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12-380
      • Case:
      • Antec Sonata I
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Iiyama 19" LCD (5:4) on Comrac Tripple Mount
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 1.6Mb ADSL

I'd agree with those above, especially now that SP1 has arrived. Vista tends to only annoy the hell out of geeks (sorry, professionals) like ourselves! I'm sure your girlfriend will love it and Vista's added security features will probably mean she can't do anything stupid without being presented with a UAC confirmation box.

Thanks
    • Bounty_Bam's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 'Dark Raider'
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (4x2GB) OCZ PC6400 800Mhz Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 1TB SATA, 500GB SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon HD7800 Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster CM-690 Dominator Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" LG LED Flatron IPS234
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

Im using Vista Home Premium (few quid more) and I love it. Premium gives you some additional features too LIke Aero, Scheduled backup, "Premium" Games, Media Center (with HDTV/cablecard support), Windows Movie Maker (with HD support), Windows DVD Maker, SideShow and Tablet PC Functionality.

Just check this link out:

Which Vista Edition is Right for You?: The Vista Editions

Thanks
    • Betty_Swallocks's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z97-A
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4690K o/c to 4.6 gHz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb SSD + 1320Gb (3x SATA drives)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390 8Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Shark
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 37" Samsung TV @1920x1080 + Dell 20.1" TFT secondary screen
      • Internet:
      • 150Mb Virgin Media cable

Vista is lovely to use so for your girlfriend it would be perfect. My wife and daughter both have it on their laptops. I would recommend upgrading it to Vista premium though. Basic is just that. A lot of the bells and whistles have been taken out.

General computing tasks like watching video and getting pictures off cameras have been made easier.

TBH the only reason I don't use it is the problems getting drivers for some of my more esoteric hardware such as my Ergodex controller.

Thanks
    • JimmyBoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI ROG Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250gb Samsung 840 SSD / 3tb Seagate / 1tb Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HiS ATi Radeon HD 7950
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster GX 650w
      • Case:
      • Bit Fenix Shinobi XL
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LG IPS277L-BN 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 120mb down 10mb up

for an xp user, vista isnt much to learn, after knowing xp inside out (almost) i was a lil reluctant to upgrade but everythings in the same place, you just have to click continue a few more times to get to it

Thanks
    • -iceblade^'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Neo2 FR
      • CPU:
      • Intel E2160 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Hiper HPU4m 580W
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):

and get irritated by stupid prompts and errors for retarded non issues - things you wouldn't even need to have bothered with with XP.

i mean, i practically had to hack into my own system to get a theme installed today. EXTREMELY irritating once the novelty of Aero starts to wear off. Some things they just did right with XP...

Thanks
    • Betty_Swallocks's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z97-A
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4690K o/c to 4.6 gHz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb SSD + 1320Gb (3x SATA drives)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390 8Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Shark
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 37" Samsung TV @1920x1080 + Dell 20.1" TFT secondary screen
      • Internet:
      • 150Mb Virgin Media cable

Quote Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
    and get irritated by stupid prompts and errors for retarded non issues - things you wouldn't even need to have bothered with with XP.
    That's perfectly true, but if you've ever had to repair the damage done to a PC by a non computer literate relative (and I have on many occasion) you really value the little voice saying to them "are you really sure you want to do that dear? It's rather dangerous you know" just in time to stop them deleting the contents of the system32 folder on the grounds that they didn't put it there so it must be a virus.

If you have the intelligence and the knowledge you can turn those warnings off so they don't bother geeks like us but for my Auntie Sybil they're a godsend.

Thanks
    • MSIC's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H170M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 6500
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SSD (boot) +1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GeForce 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W ST455F
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG06-450
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet FiberTTC

Gosh, i seem to be banging a drum about this at the moment, but if she really is new to computers then perhaps it really, really is a good time to consider Linux - most people's experience of Linux OSes is that they are not more difficult than windows, just different, but once you learn one you tend to stick with it.
    Surely, given all the advantages of a Linux OS, now would be the right time?

Have a read of this recently really quite well written, balanced article.
    I'm commenting on an internet forum. Your facts hold no sway over me.
    - Another poster, from another forum.

System as shown, plus: Microsoft Wireless mobile 4000 mouse and Logitech Illuminated keyboard.
    Sennheiser RS160 wireless headphones. Creative Gigaworks T40 SII. My wife.
    My Hexus Trust

X10
    Registered+
    Thanks

Hello all,
    Thanks for all your responses so far, the advice is greatly appreciated.

I thought I would clarify a couple of things and my reasons for asking.
    When I suggested XP, it would be under the Classic Windows look (akin to 98/2000), rather than the default XP visuals, which is why I was so taken aback by Vista's flashy bells and whistles.

Besides the logical reasoning of having the classic windows look, there was also the issue of system resources. The laptop is very basic and I was surprised it actually came with Vista Home Basic on it (It's a Fujitsu Siemens V5535 if anyone is interested - - Intel Celeron M 550 & SiS Mirage 3+ Graphics, 64 MB shared memory).
    Besides the issue it takes forever to load the OS, and then any apps that you want to use after that, for an impatient person that is quite a) Frustrating and b) Dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by -iceblade^
    well, if she wants to learn how to use computers, please don't limit her teaching with XP Pro...
    Indeed, I hear what you're saying there -iceblade^, unfortunately I have no experience with Linux and as I'll be the one helping her do things or support 'problems' I wouldn't know where to start, at least with Vista I have an idea from XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty_Swallocks
    Vista is lovely to use so for your girlfriend it would be perfect. My wife and daughter both have it on their laptops. I would recommend upgrading it to Vista premium though. Basic is just that. A lot of the bells and whistles have been taken out.
    Unfortunately we don't have any funds to upgrade, I just happen to have a spare key for XP Pro at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent
    I'm almost certain when I say that any seasoned XP user would have no problem finding out everythings 'new' place in Vista within a week of casual use.
    If you are considering going back to XP purely based on usability, I really wouldn't worry
    I won't be around to actually use the OS, it will mostly be to help over the phone, so of course it would be easier to do with the same OS and directions I'd be used to.

Thanks for all comments so far.
    X10

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

XP/Vista both have VERY GOOD help - click on deskop and hit F1. It's much ignored and probably much underrated but it's sooooooooo good.

Having watched my parents learn how to use a computer from XP it's changed my perspective on the whole thing - Windows serves these people rather better than you'd think. I'd advocate Vista over XP as it's a better resolved solution and i'd agree with the sentiment that those 'annoying' dialogs do save a lot of grief later.

Sounds like XP is the way to go for you though - given the limited resources (both hardware and financial).
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MSIC View Post
    Gosh, i seem to be banging a drum about this at the moment, but if she really is new to computers then perhaps it really, really is a good time to consider Linux - most people's experience of Linux OSes is that they are not more difficult than windows, just different, but once you learn one you tend to stick with it.
    Surely, given all the advantages of a Linux OS, now would be the right time?

Have a read of this recently really quite well written, balanced article.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

X10
    Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Betty_Swallocks
    That's perfectly true, but if you've ever had to repair the damage done to a PC by a non computer literate relative (and I have on many occasion) you really value the little voice saying to them "are you really sure you want to do that dear? It's rather dangerous you know" just in time to stop them deleting the contents of the system32 folder on the grounds that they didn't put it there so it must be a virus.

If you have the intelligence and the knowledge you can turn those warnings off so they don't bother geeks like us but for my Auntie Sybil they're a godsend.
    Of course, most people once faced with a warning box, will simply click 'OK' on any further warnings, no matter what it says (especially impatient people).

X10

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by X10 View Post
    Of course, most people once faced with a warning box, will simply click 'OK' on any further warnings, no matter what it says (especially impatient people).

X10
    In general - yes - but sometimes they'll ring their son and ask them what to do. All the time.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    • -iceblade^'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Neo2 FR
      • CPU:
      • Intel E2160 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Hiper HPU4m 580W
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):

Quote Originally Posted by X10 View Post
    Hello all,
    Indeed, I hear what you're saying there -iceblade^, unfortunately I have no experience with Linux and as I'll be the one helping her do things or support 'problems' I wouldn't know where to start, at least with Vista I have an idea from XP.
    X10
    Oh snap. I meant to say don't limit her teaching with Vista Basic...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information