• Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q (27" 2560x1440)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb

Vista x64 New install questions

Hello,

This week, I've put together a new quad core rig with 4GB of ram. I'm torn between whether to put on a 32bit or 64bit OS... The rig is mainly for gaming btw... heres what I've tried.

- Put XP32 on a partition to get a baseline level of performance (Games really)
    - Dual booted a version of Vista 64 (Got 30 days to see if it warrants purchase)

If you have any general musings that would be great, but I have a few specific questions:

- For most of the games that I have seem to be defaulting to the "Program Files (x86)" directory. Does this mean that the OS is detecting that there is no 64 bit version available on the disc?
    - If no to the above, is there anything that I need to do to identify the OS as 64 bit?
    - If the game is installed to the "Program Files (x86)" directory, can the executables still address the full 4gb of RAM?

The fact that 64 versions arent installing might just be down to the games I guess, but if, as a result of that, everything is still subject to the addressing limits of 32bit OS, then I might as well just use XP, as then I dont have to worry about 64bit driver problems etc...

Please any thoughts - would be much appreciated as I only have so long before I have to decide to purchase or not.

Thanks, JP

Splash

Re: Vista x64 New install questions

The executables are largely 32 bit, and as such are restricted to the application limits of a 32 bit application (the app can address 2Gib RAM AFAIK) however the system can address the full 4Gib, plus your graphics card etc.

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Honestly, there's really no reason to use the 32bit version of Vista, driver support on Vista 64 is in exactly the same boat for the vast majority of products and the simple fact is that 4gb of RAM is a waste on a 32bit system.

Yes, it's true that many applications are still 32bit and thus individually can only use 2gb of RAM but given the number of apps that you will typically run on a PC (bare minimum sidebar, anti-virus/firewall, sound control suite and whatever application you're using) it's hardly an issue!

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks
    • jonathan_phang's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage III Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21)
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB SSD + Misc Data Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb

I ask most of my questions in regards to gaming, as thats why my rig is primarily geared to do. Its just a shame that as the executables are mainly 32-bit, as all that extra RAM is kinda wasted. Oh well, I guess that having a 64 bit OS might be future-proofing... and the performance isnt that far behingd XP really... just noticed a variance in some games between the 2 OSs...

Tbh - thinking of just sticking with V64 - it runs stabily and isnt exactly slow... saves me reinstalling everything again! Why cant i just be ignorant and happy and just settle for one OS....

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

32bit is becoming a thing of the past.

Another year at the most and the vast majority of machines will come with 4GB minimum specs....a lot of gamers are already adopting 4GB as the minimum.

In fact, I am surprised Windows 7 will even ship in a 32bit flavour. 64 is here, it's working as well as 32bit and it IS needed. Especially when you consider the amount of RAM today's games can consume and the amount of on-board RAM modern graphics cards have.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_phang View Post
    I ask most of my questions in regards to gaming, as thats why my rig is primarily geared to do. Its just a shame that as the executables are mainly 32-bit, as all that extra RAM is kinda wasted. Oh well, I guess that having a 64 bit OS might be future-proofing... and the performance isnt that far behingd XP really... just noticed a variance in some games between the 2 OSs...

Tbh - thinking of just sticking with V64 - it runs stabily and isnt exactly slow... saves me reinstalling everything again! Why cant i just be ignorant and happy and just settle for one OS....
    Even if 99.9% of your applications are exclusively 32bit, it doesn't matter, since they execute just as fast (64bit CPUs in native mode execute 32bit code directly without emulation), and you get access to far more registers and addressable memory.

Baring some minor codec issues with Windows Media Center (which could easily be corrected by Microsoft), and not owning a CPU with an AMD64/EM64T extensions, there is, there's no reason, to purchase a 32bit operating system these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • jonathan_phang's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage III Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21)
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB SSD + Misc Data Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    64 is here, it's working as well as 32bit and it IS needed. Especially when you consider the amount of RAM today's games can consume and the amount of on-board RAM modern graphics cards have.
    Not sure I agree on the 'its working as well as 32bit' - only based upon my experience though - but there definitley needs to be a shift to 64 bit. Thats another reason why I want 64bit, I am loathe to have a 32bit OS whether it means better performance or not, as the next GPU I get will probably have 1GB on it, and thats gonna eat into RAM too much in a 32 bit OS...

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_phang View Post
    - For most of the games that I have seem to be defaulting to the "Program Files (x86)" directory. Does this mean that the OS is detecting that there is no 64 bit version available on the disc?
    What's actually happening is that apps which request the "Program Files" folder when installing, they go into "Program Files (x86)" - for those which request "64-bit Program Files", they get "Program Files". It's the only sensible way to separate them really, since the 32-bit apps wouldn't know that they need to ask for "32-bit Program Files"

- If no to the above, is there anything that I need to do to identify the OS as 64 bit?
    The OS is in charge. It knows what it's doing. 32-bit apps will run as 32-bit, 64-bit apps will run as 64-bit.

- If the game is installed to the "Program Files (x86)" directory, can the executables still address the full 4gb of RAM?
    No - and it's not related to the install location. A 32-bit app can still simply not see more than 2 gig, regardless of whether the OS can. It can literally only count to 2 gig - numbers higher than that roll around to nothing.

The fact that 64 versions arent installing might just be down to the games I guess, but if, as a result of that, everything is still subject to the addressing limits of 32bit OS, then I might as well just use XP, as then I dont have to worry about 64bit driver problems etc...
    Very few games come with 64-bit enhancements. But consider the system as a whole - that 4 gig system limit will start to cause real trouble as GPUs get bigger

G4Z
    Thanks
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2

Been running Vista ultimate 64 bit for a few months now and I have to say it runs great. I would even say it was worth the £230 I paid.
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Bill@W's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 9-9-9-24
      • Storage:
      • Plextor 128GB SSD; WD Black 500GB; Toshiba 1TB; Plextor Opt: Asus Opt
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GeForce GT 640
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic G650 semi-mod.
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li A-05FN
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ FP241W; Iiyama ProLite X23...HDS
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 mbps (6.5km from exchange)

I've had a weird but not wonderful experience with a Vista Business x64 install. On a new build with 2HDs, 160 and 500 gb, I wanted to install the OS on the 160gb disk, with the other disk partitioned for apps and data.
    For two days the install routine was falling over. First it saw both disks, then one, then reversed disk 0 and disk 1. Eventually it would allow me(after an interminable wait) to enter kb language and product key, but give up before the reboot and final stage of install. In case it was the format stage of the install that wasn't working I ran the RC from the install disk to access the command prompt and use diskpart to prepare the HDs. Gave up because the disk 0 and disk 1 had been switched for each other.
    I have two DVD writers in the system (latest models Sony and Samsung) so in desperation I inserted the vista setup disk in the 2nd optical disk (the samsung) and it promptly installed the OS! Except it was on the wrong (larger) HD. The earlier unsuccessful install attempts had installed most OS elements in the smaller HD (as intended) but not enough for a bootable OS.
    I now have an active, primary partition on each disk, and I get a dual-boot screen for vista or vista--one of which boots and runs like a rocket (5.9 in all vista speed categories) and the other is a waste of space.
    If I remove the (now redundant)160gb from the system it won't boot.
    Diskpart doesn't allow me to remove the partition because it is active and primary.
    Don't you miss DR DOS, and fdisk, when the person at the keyboard was in charge, instead of a bone-headed microsoft procedure?
    A related issue: XP Pro remains a first-rate OS although Microsoft is desperate to bin it so it can sell us all Vista and Win 7. If you include Leopard, Linux, and all flavours of Windows, XP is still running 66-70% of the world's desktops. The latest isn't always the best.
    And if anyone can suggest how I can clear out that partial install of vista, I'd be most grateful.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • i4000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA790X-DS4
      • CPU:
      • AMD X3 955 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 8GB 800MHz 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 4 x 500GB WD Caviar Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX275
      • PSU:
      • NorthQ 850W Magic Flex
      • Case:
      • Jeantech Phong II
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Lenovo LEN201p
      • Internet:
      • 50 Mbps

Way to go on resurecting an old thread on your first post

Try this:

1. Disconnect all hard drives except the one you want to wipe (to avoid confusion disconnect one of your optical drives too)
    2. Boot using Vista or Win7 RC media
    3. When you get to the disk prep stage, press shift+F10 to open a command prompt
    4. At the command prompt enter the following commands:
    DISKPART
    SELECT DISK 1
    CLEAN
    CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
    FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK

That should hopefully wipe your disk regardless of what is currently in place and create a single, blank, primary partition.

If that doesn't work, post what error message you receive.
    There is no me. I do not exist. There used to be a me but I had it surgically removed.
    Peter Sellers, 1977, The Muppet Show...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Bill@W's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GeForce GT 640
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li A-05FN
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Thanks i4000 for that rapid response. I may have been unclear in my original post but I mentioned that diskpart jibbed at messing with a primary partition with an incomplete OS on it. I'll try your procedure, (I hadn't thought of pulling the good disk) but if I remove all but one optical and one hard drive, is it not the case that diskpart will see the disk as disk 0, rather than disk 1? Of course, I always run list disk in diskpart first, to make sure I'm selecting the right one!
    Asus used to have an excellent usenet group, with lots of helpful posters like yourself, but it was ruined by bad-tempered, vituperative people who carried a lot of anger around with them. I have just found hexus, and it seems more civilised.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • i4000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA790X-DS4
      • CPU:
      • AMD X3 955 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 8GB 800MHz 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 4 x 500GB WD Caviar Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX275
      • PSU:
      • NorthQ 850W Magic Flex
      • Case:
      • Jeantech Phong II
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Lenovo LEN201p
      • Internet:
      • 50 Mbps

Yep, you're right, that should read SELECT DISK 0.

I've never had DISKPART complain about a the contents of a disk when doing a CLEAN, as it's supposed to just wipe the partition table irrespective of whats there (useful for wiping \linux partitions), but I may be wrong.

My suggestion about booting with only a single drive attached is from my personal experience, both Vista and Win7 will refuse to install on my system if I have anything ther than a single drive connected, don't ask me why. Once the install is finished I can re-connect the rest of my drives without a problem. I searched the net high and low and in the end found a strange post with someone else suggesting drop down to a single drive whilst performing an install, strange but true (in my case anyway)........
    Last edited by i4000; 22-09-2009 at 11:48 PM.
    There is no me. I do not exist. There used to be a me but I had it surgically removed.
    Peter Sellers, 1977, The Muppet Show...

cmd
    Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i4000 View Post
    My suggestion about booting with only a single drive attached is from my personal experience, both Vista and Win7 will refuse to install on my system if I have anything ther than a single drive connected, don't ask me why.
    Wow, someone else who had that problem!
    Vista just wouldn't install to my 120gb vertex when the spinpoint f1 was also connected (on MSI Eclipse SLI mobo).

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Gigabyte AORUS 7000s SSD and sandisk 1tb sata 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 34inch ultra wide quad HD 144hz and 24inch asus HD
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

ive been running windows vista home premium 64bit since the October 2008 and it works well.
    before that i used vista 32bit but since I decided i wanted more ram i contacted my oem and got the 64bit media sent for the cost of postage.
    all the programs i use work fine under 64bit.
    there is a few programs that wont work on 64bit mainly due to drivers and hooks in the OS. the latter is prevented by patchguard. so programs such as sandboxie wont work.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Bill@W's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GeForce GT 640
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li A-05FN
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

The saga goes from bad to worse; as recommended, I cleaned the broken installation with diskpart, and turned a minor nuisance into something of a nightmare. The system will not now boot at all. The screen tells me there is no media connected.
    But: a utility loads (Asus Express Gate) from the primary partition (where else?). The BIOS sees the SATA disks; diskpart sees a disk with a primary partition (windows) and a disk with an extended partition and three logical partitions.
    Ran startup repair from installation CD: get response-- system disk test completed successfully, partition table repair completed successfully,
    Still will not boot from hard drive.
    I may be missing something obvious, but either I could chase my tail for a couple of days looking for a solution, or go for a complete reinstall. Cursing Microsoft (for the umpteenth time since Windows v.2) I opted for the latter.
    Accepting suggestions above, I reinstalled with only one HD connected, although this means the drive letters for my optical drives will come before logical partitions on the other HD. Now the tedious business of installing 64-bit drivers for chipset, GPU, sound card, tv card and so on. Why do we put up with this nonsense?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information