Thread: can't install XP

Thanks

can't install XP

Hi guys....computer illiterate here and wondering if anyone can advise me ona technical problem before I resort to taking it "in" to be fixed!

I have a Dell XPS desktop....it was set up with a dual HD "raid" system when bought. last night, my daughter closed it down at the wall rather than by the switch, and it had the infamous
    " windows\system32\config\system is corrupt" message afterwards. I've seen that on a friends computer before, and it was easily fixable with a repair using the windows xp disc.
    HOWEVER..... I think I've messed it up completely, and trying to resolve the situation has made it worse.
    In effect, I had a situation where the xp repair disc was asking me to add drivers for the raid array. I tried to use the ones supplied WITH the computer, but it kept asking me to use the A drive. Naturally it doesn't HAVE one. I tried to switch away froma raid setup, and thats where the fun has begun. After various attempts.....including ones where it doesn't recognise the boot disc at all....in fact, in the f2 setup screen it was showing ALL drives as not present..... I managed to get it to the point where the xp disc boots up and runs through it's checks to start a reinstall..... however, it then gives me a screen where it appears there is nowhere for it to install too.... the delete option at the bottom doesn't work at all.... and the "up down arrows" to choose a place to install ALSO have no effect. Exiting then simply crashes the system.
    I HAD thought to remove one of the drives and reformat it in another computer..... but it is an older model and won't take the sata.
    I'm at my wits end....and although I'm sure I haven't explained as well as is neccessary...if ANYONE has an idea of what may be the problem, I would be HUGELY grateful for input!
    many thanks
    Jim

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: can't install XP

Hi Jim, dont worry I'm pretty sure we can get this sorted without you taking it in!

From what I have understood (please correct me if i'm wrong!) you didnt manage to properly point XP to your RAID drivers as you didnt have a floppy drive which is the main problem as you couldnt do a repair install (which I would of tried as well).

I think the best option would be to get NLite ( http://www.nliteos.com/index.html ), basically that will allow you to create a new windows XP disc however this one will have the drivers for your SATA integrated, I have used the tool before and its very straightforward to use so give that a try, that way it will not prompt you to insert a driver disc when your installing windows.

Hope this helps, let me know how you get on!

Registered+
    Thanks

Oh and I forgot to mention, your probably doing this anyway but once you get to that stage follow the instructions found at http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm which basically shows you how to do a repair reinstall so you dont lose your files / programs.

Thanks

Hi there...thanks for the tip...I'll give it a go and let you know how it came out.

Thread Information