Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need info on Vista please

Thanks

Re: I need info on Vista please

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    As you're a student it might be worth taking a look at www.theultimatesteal.co.uk as you can get the Ultimate upgrade for £40.95. The upgrade can allegedly be installed standalone using a method widely available on the internets, and this is apparently something that Microsoft are happy about (though I haven't used it)
    Thanks. I read about that... I hope it works..

Thanks
    • Mblaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS PK5 Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25 SSD + WD 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP w2207 (22" wide)
      • Internet:
      • Rubbish ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
    If you are a student you can get windows server 2008 which is vista without aero afaik for free!
    Yeah, only if you're uni is signed up to MSNDAA though, although I'd imagine most are.

The way they verified that I was a student when I got the student version of MS Office, was I had to register with them using a '.ac.uk' email address, and they sent the confirmation code there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mblaster View Post
    Yeah, only if you're uni is signed up to MSNDAA though, although I'd imagine most are.

The way they verified that I was a student when I got the student version of MS Office, was I had to register with them using a '.ac.uk' email address, and they sent the confirmation code there.
    Thanks

Thanks

If you have MSDNAA access though, it's almost certain you will have Vista access too. I know our students certainly do
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • 2Cold Scorpio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Pro, Sound Card: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 w/ G0 stepping - stock: 2.66 GHz OC'd to 3.6 GHz 1.48v
      • Memory:
      • 4x1GB Patriot PDC24G6400LLQK Extreme Performance PC2-6400 OC'd to 900MHz 5-5-5-18 timings 2.2v
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 5200rpm (main), 2x 250 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA in RAID 0 (backup)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB Superclocked
      • PSU:
      • Antec NeoBlue 650w
      • Case:
      • Raidmax Smilodon Steel ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 226BW 22" LCD Widescreen (S-Panel) @ 1680x1050
      • Internet:
      • 15Mb/s Cable, Optical Drives: 1. Lite-On DVD+-R/+-RW/RAM w/ Lightscribe, 2. LiteOn CD-RW 52/32/52x

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    As you're a student it might be worth taking a look at www.theultimatesteal.co.uk as you can get the Ultimate upgrade for £40.95. The upgrade can allegedly be installed standalone using a method widely available on the internets, and this is apparently something that Microsoft are happy about (though I haven't used it)
    I have and it works fine (it just takes a bit longer than a normal install); the method I used was the one Paul Thurott put up on the Windows Super Site. I have two XP licenses (kept one to actually work with, and considered the other one forfeit to make my Vista Ultimate disk I got from the university a legit upgrade). However, rather than upgrade over a second XP install (because we all know how horrid updating Windows from one version to another can be), I did the trick to allow clean-installs with the upgrade disk. As far as I see it, I did it legal considering I already had a prior license.

But heck, even if you don't, its not like they actually know. And the fact that loop hasn't been closed likely means they aren't concerned. Its up to you, but it is quite doable, and is quite easy. ^_^

6. Received thanks from:

Robscure (08-12-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2Cold Scorpio View Post
    I have and it works fine (it just takes a bit longer than a normal install); the method I used was the one Paul Thurott put up on the Windows Super Site. I have two XP licenses (kept one to actually work with, and considered the other one forfeit to make my Vista Ultimate disk I got from the university a legit upgrade). However, rather than upgrade over a second XP install (because we all know how horrid updating Windows from one version to another can be), I did the trick to allow clean-installs with the upgrade disk. As far as I see it, I did it legal considering I already had a prior license.

But heck, even if you don't, its not like they actually know. And the fact that loop hasn't been closed likely means they aren't concerned. Its up to you, but it is quite doable, and is quite easy. ^_^
    Thanks, that's good to know

I just didn't want to be caught with the short end of the stick, unable to install it

Thanks

Try Ubuntu 64-bit. It's free. Instead of paying Microsoft, you could be doing nice things with the money.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FrankVdb View Post
    Try Ubuntu 64-bit. It's free. Instead of paying Microsoft, you could be doing nice things with the money.
    Depends what you need it for.

I need Windows. If I develop something for a client, I need to be able to at least test on the environment the client has, before delivering. If the client has Ubuntu, fine. But none of mine do.

Or, if you need Windows because you have hardware without Vista support, or applications that you want running natively, etc, then Ubuntu might not be an option.

Or, some people have been using Windows for years and just don't want to bother faffing about with a learning curve on a new OS.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess, but Ubuntu (or other distro's) isn't a universal solution for everybody. I have no idea what Robscure's needs are, but Ubuntu isn't going anywhere near most of my machines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information