Thread: Re-installing Vista

handscombmp

Re-installing Vista

Going to replace my pc soon and my current dell one is going to become my media server.
    I'm to replace the hdd on it and re-install vista (although it will pretty much be like installing it for the first time).
    What i want to know is can i use the disc that will come with my new pc (as it will be SP1 and saves me downloading the updates) but still use the orginal license key thinghy that came with my dell pc.

I know using the orginal dell cd it should work as although it oem its being installed on the same pc but will it work with another disc.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Re-installing Vista

As far as I know retail versions of Windows won't accept OEM keys and vice versa. Perhaps someone else can confirm this.

handscombmp

I'll be using an oem disc if that any good. I just wont be a dell one.

Splash

Not sure about Vista, but with XP Dell certainly had it's own OEM license keys that would only work on Dell hardware, with Dell OEM install media. HP were the same.

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup

Installing any OEM copy of Vista on a different PC is a session of jumping through hoops as it's tied to the original motherboard. Sometimes they'll let you re-activate if you give them a decent enough story & you have a sympethetic operator. Other times they'll just refuse.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

handscombmp

I fell that people have got the wrog end of the stick.

I will be getting a new pc in which i will buy a brand new oem license for.

What i want to know is can i use the disc that comes with my new pc (as it's sp1 so i don't have to install all the updates) in my old dell pc using the key that is already tied to my dell pc.

Thanks

Genuine Vista installation discs all contain exactly the same code, whether it's Home Basic, Premium, Ultimate, retail pack or OEM. It's simply the key you enter which determines which features and restrictions apply to your particular installation.

The only physical difference is between 32-bit and 64-bit versions, and even then a valid key for one will be usable for the other (not at the same time though, obviously, and if you only have a key for 32-bit Premium, you can't install 64-bit Ultimate or vice versa).

I'm not absolutely, definitely, 100% certain that there is no peculiarity about Dell Vista licence keys which might cause problems with a standard Vista setup disc, but it seems on the face of it highly unlikely.

handscombmp

Ah.
    My current dell is 32-bit but my new pc will be 64-bit.
    That may make a difference.

EDIT: Just found this...
    OEM Editions from Large Manufacturers

Is there any difference between the OEM DVDs that you get from NewEgg, and the OEM DVDs that you get from large manufacturers like Dell?

Yes, these DVDs do not work the same way. You can not activate a clean Vista installation with a product key that is labeled on a computer from a large manufacturer. In fact, the product key labeled on the computer is not used at all.

If I can't perform a clean installation with the product key labeled on my computer, then how do I do a clean install?
    You must use the Vista DVD provided by the manufacturer. It will not ask you for a product key, and will automatically activate without connecting to the Internet.

Woohoo! That sounds like the Vista DVD I need!

Don't get too excited. The DVD does this by checking the BIOS of the computer to verify that it is from the correct manufacturer.

Can this Vista DVD automatically activate on any new computer from the same manufacturer, whether or not it came with a Vista license?
    Yes, it should. As long as they don't change the identification code in the BIOS.
    First question is interesting. Suggests that the only way i can install vista gain on my Dell PC is to use the disc it came with.
    Last edited by handscombmp; 21-01-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks

I've googled a bit, and there's a mass of conflicting information about Dell OEM discs and installations... the best I can come up with is as follows:

Dell Vista OEM discs are customised to work with a special licence key which is different from the one listed on the box's CoA sticker - together they are locked to the BIOS of that particular machine, and cannot be used with any other, but you don't need to activate either at first startup or any subsequent reinstallation using that disc. You *can* however use the key on the PC case's CoA sticker with a standard (non-Dell-supplied) Vista OEM setup disc, but it will require activation in the usual way.

Some people reckon they've tried it and it still doesn't work, others say they've done it hundreds of times with no problems...

All that being said, *provided* the above holds true, you can go ahead and install 64-bit Vista on the Dell from the new disc, using your existing Dell 32-bit key. So long as there is a unique key for each *installation* there shouldn't be a problem.

You could always just try it, and see if it works... you're buying the new OEM package anyway, so you haven't really lost out if it goes tits-up. If I were a betting man though, I'd put money on it working...

handscombmp

As you said i'll probaly try it as i was wanting to do a fresh install and the worst i can see happening is it not working and having to reinstall using the dell disc.

Thread Information