Thread: PC just for antivirus

handscombmp

PC just for antivirus

i know you can get a pc dedicated for firewalls but can you get one to use as an anti virus for your network.
    So...
    Internet----Modem----AV PC----Network

Can you even get these as if you could it would be brillant as from my understanding you then wouldn't need anti virus software for pc inside the network

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: PC just for antivirus

I think the closest your likely to get is a virus checker on a caching proxy server.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • pipTheGeek's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 @ 3.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 3 * 2Gb Corsair XMS @ DDR3 1800
      • Storage:
      • 300GB 15K SAS + 500Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX570
      • PSU:
      • corsair 760i
      • Case:
      • Corsair 550d
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Alienware 23"
      • Internet:
      • VM 50Mb

You could run a proxy server for all your web browsing. This could virus scan all web pages being viewed, and could also scan downloads that were being run through http. What it can't do is virus scan a cd that you put in your pc, or files that you recieve through instant messenger.
    Also full on proxy software costs. Maybe someone else can suggest a free one if you really want to try this out.

Splash

You're describing an AV proxy, which is possible but you're missing a major attack vector - do you seriously not allow anything on your PCs from USB/CD etc?

handscombmp

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    You're describing an AV proxy, which is possible but you're missing a major attack vector - do you seriously not allow anything on your PCs from USB/CD etc?
    Ahhh.
    Forgot about that.
    Right thanks for the help guys.
    At least i now know it's not worth it due to USB etc.

Thanks
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

There is a device that has a firewall and antivirus software on it called a Yoggie gatekeeper. They do a USB version for people using wifi or an RJ45 connected one(which I guess would perform better).

Splash

It's not worthless, just of limited use in your situation. An AV proxy can be very handy in a number of situations as an extra layer of security

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

You can use an AV proxy and also run a mailserver that downloads from your ISP, scans the mail and stores it for users inside the network to collect. You could also disable all USB ports on computer inside the network, and remove all CD/DVD readers, and just have one or two installed on the AV machine which would scan on demand. Your proxy server may also be subscibed to download the URLs of dodgy sites (some services free, some paid) to block access to dodgy sites.

However there would invariably be a high admin burden, checking logs and monitoring what is happening - it wouldn't be a fit and forget solution.

However in general the best AV protection is the user, and having that sort of protection may lead users into false sense of security. While having AV as a last resort is a good idea, training users inside the network to treat unsolicited e mails with suspicion and being careful about the sites you visit, and hiding your system being a NAT type device with no open inbound ports should be all the protection you need.

Unless you are running a large network, the sort of protective measures described here are probably a bit OTT, and as I said, the admin burden of running that server would outweigh the advantages.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Registered+
    Thanks

whatever you do with regards to proxy server etc you're still going to need a AV client on every pc because not every virus comes form the internet, some get transferred via portable media.

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky

You'll need to build/buy a PC and add two NICs. Use Smoothwall as your OS and add the DGAV Homebrew application.
    Last edited by mycarsavw; 08-05-2009 at 10:26 AM.
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
    whatever you do with regards to proxy server etc you're still going to need a AV client on every pc because not every virus comes form the internet, some get transferred via portable media.
    Not if you remove all optical drives and disable USB ports on the networked machine. You then import from portable media on the scanning machine and scan it on access that way.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Not if you remove all optical drives and disable USB ports on the networked machine. You then import from portable media on the scanning machine and scan it on access that way.
    ...and can be 100% certain that all machines on the network are free from infection, and similar attack vectors. Essentially you're making a rod for your own back if you're going to rely on something like this *unless* you have a fully planned and documented infrastructure. You'll end up putting in shortcuts for convenience that will nullify your efforts.

handscombmp

To be honest ti not worth it in my case. I just thought if it meant i didn't need an av on a couple of pc's it could speed them up but when you mention usb and optical it's suddenly not worth it.

Thread Information