View Poll Results: Was that list any useful ?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 44.00%
  • Not sure

2 8.00%
  • Nope

12 48.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for customizing the OS with SSD please ?

Cov
    Thanks
    • Cov's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DH77DF
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 16 GB
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25-M Postville & WD20EARX
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4000 & GF8800
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! 480
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 236V
      • Internet:
      • o2 (6MB Broadband)

Ideas for customizing the OS with SSD please ?

Hi, I am trying to put a list together of all personal adjustments after a fresh installation of Windows 7.

I'm aware that many people would not agree with some of these settings, but I have found them to be useful for a system with an SSD as a boot device.

Of course not all of these things are SSD relevant.

Please have a look at my list and you are very welcome to comment and / or contribute with more suggestions of what might be useful.

Thanks

Windows 7 - Supercharged

• How to modify UAC

Start › user accounts › change user account control settings › adjust slider

• How to disable Page File

Start › system › Advanced system settings › Performance › Settings › Advance › Virtual memory › Change › No paging file › Set › OK

• How to disable Hibernation

Start › cmd › type: powercfg -h off › enter

• How to disable System Restore

Start › System › System protection › Configure

• How to turn off Search Indexing

a) Start › services › windows search › disable

b) Start › computer › right click c drive › properties › untick: Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties

c) Start › Indexing options › modify › show all locations › double click users in summary of selected locations › uncheck users directory › double click start menu in the summary of selected locations › uncheck start menu directory › ok

• How to turn off Remote Differential Compression

Start › Control panel › programs › turn windows features on or off › uncheck Remote Differential Compression › ok

This makes file transfers (copy, move) faster by turnig off “Remote Differential Compression” (RDC). Copying a 1.91 GB folder from the main HDD to a folder on an external USB drive resulting in ...

With RDC turned on: 3:23 – three minutes and 23 seconds (with a stopwatch).
    With RDC turned off: 2:25 – two minutes and 25 seconds.

• How to turn off unneeded Windows features

Start › programs & features › turn Windows features on or off › uncheck

• How to hide the recycle bin

Right click desktop › Personalize › change desktop icons › untick recycle bin

If you do decide to do this, then remember that everything you delete will still be put into the invisible bin.
    Unless you right click the recycle bin › Properties › change from "Custom size" to "Don't move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted".

Please be aware about the impact of this. If you delete something, it will be deleted for good, bypassing the bin.

• How to disable defragmentation & Superfetch

Start › Computer Management or Services › Disk Defragmentation › disable

Superfetch › disable

• How to change title text of Internet Explorer

Start › regedit › HKEY_CURRENT_USER › Software › Microsoft › Internet Explorer › Main
    Look for “Window Title” Registry Key at the right pane. If it’s not there, create a String Value type of registry key and name it as “Window Title”.
    Double click the “Window Title” registry key and enter the customized text that will appear in the IE window title.

• How to change border padding for windows

Right click the desktop › Personalize › Windows Color › Advanced Appearance Settings › select Border Padding › change size 4 (default) to a lower value.

• Disable unneeded start-up programs from loading

Start › msconfig or system configuration › services tab

• How to access a) the Disk Management Console Tool and b) Computer Management, includes DMC

a) Start › diskmgmt.msc
    b) right click on "Computer" › Manage

• How to display system information

Start › system information

• Turn off automatic update

Start › Windows update › change settings › never check for updates

• How to clean the HDD / SSD

Start › cleanmgr (or use CCleaner)

• How to access Resource Monitor

Start › Resource Monitor

• Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse and
    Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen (Aero Snap)

Start › change how your mouse works › tick boxes › ok
    Last edited by Cov; 24-08-2009 at 05:44 AM.

2. Received thanks from:

0iD (06-08-2009),DeludedGuy (06-08-2009),PeteSmith (07-08-2009),pollaxe (06-08-2009),shadowmaster (06-08-2009),watercooled (07-08-2009)

Cov
    Thanks
    • Cov's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DH77DF
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 16 GB
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4000 & GF8800
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! 480
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 236V
      • Internet:
      • o2 (6MB Broadband)

Re: Ideas for customizing the OS with SSD please ?

1. Temporary Internet Folder: Under Internet Explorer go to the “Tools”, then to which will bring up Internet Options, then go to Browser History and hit “Settings”, Go to Current Location and hit “Move Folder” then proceed to move the folder to your alternate location, IE secondary Drive or a None SSD or OS drive.

2. Move the “Temp and Tmp” files: Go to \My Computer\\Properties\\Advanced\\Environment Variables\, then highlight the "temp or tmp" depending on which one you’re working on, pick the variable, click edit, and Change the path to another hard drive if they are located on the Solid State with the “Variable Value Field”.

3. PIO Mode: Make sure the SSD is not running in PIO mode. To verify that go into the Device Manager, open IDE ATA / ATAPI controllers and double-click all Primary and Secondary IDE Channels. Verify that there are no signs of PIO Mode under the Current Transfer Mode entry in Advanced Settings. It should list Ultra DMA Mode 5 by default on there.

I just checked and it even says Ultra DMA Mode 6

Thanks
    • shadowmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.6Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • Kingston SSD V series 64GB + Samsung F3 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 5870 1GB in Crossfire
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 1200W Dark Power Pro
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker 832 SE
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x BenQ G2222HDL 21.5inch 1080p
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2

This thread should be very useful when I install Windows 7 on an SSD. Thanks

Cov
    Thanks
    • Cov's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DH77DF
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 16 GB
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4000 & GF8800
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! 480
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 236V
      • Internet:
      • o2 (6MB Broadband)

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmaster View Post
    Thanks
    You're very welcome.

BTW, I have some of the ideas from here.

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup

Nice one Cov, with SSD's on the way to becoming the de-facto enthusiast boot drive & Win7 about to come online to the general populous this guide when it matures will make a great reference for all.

Well done chap & keep up the good work!
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Nice checklist, although on the latest beta of Win7 I'm running, both defrag and indexing is disabled by default for any SSDs Windows 7 finds....including those on RAID controllers (which I was very surprised to see it spotted)
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Nice checklist, although on the latest beta of Win7 I'm running, both defrag and indexing is disabled by default for any SSDs Windows 7 finds....including those on RAID controllers (which I was very surprised to see it spotted)
    This is true - 7 is designed to configure itself appropriately for SSDs from the get-go so tweaking is largely pointless. Disabling paging isn't a good idea either (IMHO based on the way windows memory management actually works) and has long been a myth as far as performance increase is concerned.
    And why the heck turn off superfetch? It's excellent! Windows update turned off too? Are you mad?

I've seen 'tweak' guides for years for windows and almost none of them have any real world impact on performance or advocate disabling features due to lack of understanding of what they actually do (or how they're configured). Me, i'll be letting Win7 sit on the defaults for almost everything - especially as intel's drives suit random writes so well (so paging, small files, etc). Pretty much every feature listed there i'd leave at stock..
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

There's quite a debate raging about prefetch, I've tried 7 with it on and off and I am still sat on the fence TBH.

Page file I send to a conventional HDD......since I hardly use it but still need it occasionally and as much as I want it on the SSD for speed, I don't want it on the SSD because of wear.

I can only presume the turning off updates is a piracy thing
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    There's quite a debate raging about prefetch, I've tried 7 with it on and off and I am still sat on the fence TBH.
    This does depend on what your doing, but if you've got lots of RAM (and with these prices, who hasen't) then its a no brainer. On an SSD however it could be argued to be pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by dangel View Post
    This is true - 7 is designed to configure itself appropriately for SSDs from the get-go so tweaking is largely pointless. Disabling paging isn't a good idea either (IMHO based on the way windows memory management actually works) and has long been a myth as far as performance increase is concerned.
    And why the heck turn off superfetch? It's excellent! Windows update turned off too? Are you mad?

I've seen 'tweak' guides for years for windows and almost none of them have any real world impact on performance or advocate disabling features due to lack of understanding of what they actually do (or how they're configured). Me, i'll be letting Win7 sit on the defaults for almost everything - especially as intel's drives suit random writes so well (so paging, small files, etc). Pretty much every feature listed there i'd leave at stock..
    I sometimes feal your the only person who shares my pain in this. So many of these guides are advocating stupid things. Like in this case turning off indexing service.

Are you fricken nuts? Indexing an SSD is a brilliant idea, win 7 is even ment to limit the amount of indexing it does when on battery too. The main downside for indexing on a desktop was the fact the heads would always be in the wrong place, so when your NCQ HDD got the 'other' request, that would be the request the user is waiting on rather than the background task, it took a while to seak back. You don't have this problem with SSDs at all.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

11. Received thanks from:

dangel (06-08-2009)

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber

I would disagree with most of the list to be honest, and as has been pointed out Windows 7 automatically tunes itself when it detects there is an SSD present (Superfetch was automatically disabled on my rig on install, for example).

The QoS "20% bandwidth is stolen" myth was debunked a long time ago:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316666
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

13. Received thanks from:

Steve (07-08-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Adams View Post
    The QoS "20% bandwidth is stolen" myth was debunked a long time ago:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316666
    Ah thank you! I was looking for the same link, knew it was a myth, but I needed something back me up. Now I have it.

I would agree, that Windows 7 is already designed to work brilliant on SSDs out of the box. I'll be leaving everything at defaults.

Thanks

At least the OP didn't get the judicial stoning here that he got at Hardforum...

That said, I'm firmly in the "leave it alone" camp.

It's good to be bad pauldarkside's Avatar
    Thanks
    • pauldarkside's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770K & Corsair Hydro H80i
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Force GS 128GB, Crucial M500 480GB, WD Black 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Professional HX850W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 780T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity @ 78Mbps

The SSD related OS tweaks I've read about are more focused on protecting the drive's lifespan, difference in performance more a byproduct of that aim. Apart from some veering toward snake-oil territory, there are a few that make sense - why waste limited writes on temporary data?

With regards to Superfetch and Windows 7 turning it off when detecting SSDs, is that an RTM thing as it's not been disabled here? Maybe it's something to do with having a mechanical drive along with SSD, or the controller configured as IDE instead of AHCI? Running out of straws to clutch ...
    My only concern is should I hide my true identity? A costume maybe?

0iD: Plus weeing in it every now & again does it good
    scaryjim: 10" is just a little large to hold comfortably in one hand, which makes it a lot harder to tap, swipe and generally interact with.

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber

Quote Originally Posted by pauldarkside View Post
    With regards to Superfetch and Windows 7 turning it off when detecting SSDs, is that an RTM thing as it's not been disabled here? Maybe it's something to do with having a mechanical drive along with SSD, or the controller configured as IDE instead of AHCI? Running out of straws to clutch ...
    I believe AHCI is required to enable TRIM, and the firmware on the SSD drive has to report itself correctly to the OS for Superfetch to be disabled.
    (I have 1x SSD and 2x SATA2 drives, and Superfetch was off as soon as I installed Win7 RTM.)
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCrash View Post
    At least the OP didn't get the judicial stoning here that he got at Hardforum...
    Ahhhaaaahhha loving it

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by pauldarkside View Post
    The SSD related OS tweaks I've read about are more focused on protecting the drive's lifespan, difference in performance more a byproduct of that aim. Apart from some veering toward snake-oil territory, there are a few that make sense - why waste limited writes on temporary data?
    Realistically i'll probably replace the drive (like any drive) before I hit the max writes anyway - it's not something that bothers me on a modern SSD with wear levelling etc. I'm sure that in a couple of years i'll be buying an even faster, even cheaper, even bigger drive etc
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information