Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is there any worth in getting win7?

Splash

Re: is there any worth in getting win7?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Now we know how windows ME and vista was made
    You mean the 5 and a half year development cycle for Vista? No idea what the lifecycle was for ME I'm afraid, but... In what way is Windows 7 so massively different to Vista (other than a more succesful marketing campaign) that all the Vista haters suddenly love Windows 7? To me it feels more like a polished version of the same thing is all.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    You mean the 5 and a half year development cycle for Vista? No idea what the lifecycle was for ME I'm afraid, but... In what way is Windows 7 so massively different to Vista (other than a more succesful marketing campaign) that all the Vista haters suddenly love Windows 7? To me it feels more like a polished version of the same thing is all.
    Windows 7 is definately a tick from the Vista tock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Tick-Tock) in intel lingo. I think software often follows that idea too, you have a refinement procces on the big new ideas.

Is it a new OS, its got new APIs, quite a few actually, but plenty of them are around the Jump List idea. Now is that really a new OS? Rather than a service pack? I would say yes because the start bar change is so radically different. After using it heavily for a while now, I cringe when i go back to a machine without it. It really is a good feature.

The performance boost, its really quite significant on low end machines, i guess they could argue its more than a tweak so its not a service pack.

The libraries is a whole new idea, thats easiest from a blank canvas, i guess thats arguably a new OS feature... just.

when you look at:
    http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/dev...s/default.aspx

there is sod all compared with the Vista jump, but more than say the XP SP2 jump.

I think Win7 is the smallest change yet, its mostly little enhancments more wallpapers (whoo, fricken hoo) and the changed shell. In my mind this is a much smaller change than XP from win2k.

I have a horrible fealing MS are doing an Apple and going to be squeezing out a new OS every year, this is bad as anyone who's idea of fun isn't installing a new OS will understand. Not to mention the fact i hate nickle n dime'ing.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • Jace007's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 7700k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 1080
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750w
      • Operating System:
      • WinLOW

if you multi-task your work, have more than 3Gb of RAM, enjoy games, enjoy a stable crash free system then Yes, Windows 7 is just awsome, i've tried various apps on it and its been fine. And with the great pre-order offers in the uk its a real deal. Looking at your system spec and if you were to get the 64Bit version you would'nt regret it.

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    there is sod all compared with the Vista jump, but more than say the XP SP2 jump.
    Bear in mind our service packs do not, as a rule, add functionality - they are all the previous QFE (LDR) & GDR hotfixes bundled into one package to bring a system up to a known level in one pass.

SP2 for XP was the exception to this, and the reason it was so long in development and pushed the development cycle for Vista back a long way - a huge amount of work went into that service pack based around security in addition to the hotfix packaged bundled into it.

Other than that, Windows Server 2003 SP2 had the Scalable Networking Pack incorporated into it, but that was just a free optional download before the service pack arrived anyway.

As non-security hotfixes are included in service packs:
    Windows AnyFlavour SPx + all Windows Updates != Windows AnyFlavour SPx+1

Design changes to the kernel occur between Windows versions, this is after all what the major versioning is based on, so as examples...
    - Windows XP (NT 5.1) had a single list of threads in the ready state which all processors shared and had a system-wide lock to control
    - Windows Server 2003 & XP x64 (NT 5.2) had a per-processor list to help improve SMP
    - Windows Vista / Server 2008 (NT 6.0) had a change in quantum charging to allow threads a fairer share of CPU time (and therefore more accurate quota charging) in the event of interrupts
    - Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2 (NT 6.1) has managed done away with the dispatcher lock entirely for performance and brought in core parking for power management

These may sound trivial, but these kinds of changes to such a critical component of the system make scalability change radically and often due to their knock-on changes or dependencies cannot be shoe-horned into a hotfix for any of the previous versions of the OS.

From the (home) user perspective it may look like not much has changed, except the decision to drop the classic interface (which meant twice the code to maintain for anything pertaining to the shell), but development is constantly ongoing for the next version of Windows.

Companies will be more aware of the changes of interest to them from the client, server and Active Directory perspective - Windows is (much) bigger than just the screen presented to the end user.
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

I would say if you're using silicon image controller for your sata hd then you might have an issue with it.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

7 is great... I've upgraded all my PCs (Work, Home, HTPC, EEE).

Media Centre is much improved - HTPC win...

Works great on my EEE 901 as well, although I do have an upgraded SSD and 2GB RAM in it.

General usability/taskbar etc much improved, it looks a lot nicer (on a par with KDE4 IMHO), less bugs and I've only seen blue screens thanks to crappy drivers for a USB TV stick and faulty motherboard. Application compatibility is good, driver support out of the box is excellent... I'm seriously yet to fault it. Boot time is quick as well.

My hardware is nothing special either, all my full PCs are lower mid-range dual cores, 2-4GB RAM and average graphics cards, not an SSD in sight.

Thanks

Jace007,

Thank you for evaluating Windows 7 and it's great to hear that you are enjoying your experience so much! If you are planning on purchasing Windows 7 when it is released it may be helpful to know you don't have to wait until October to reserve your copy of Win 7! You can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional today. For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer page

Jessica
    Microsoft Windows Client Team

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaD View Post
    Jessica
    Microsoft Windows Client Team
    You a Microsoft employee then Jessica? What does the Microsoft Windows Client Team do then in the big machine?
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Quote Originally Posted by 0iD View Post
    You a Microsoft employee then Jessica? What does the Microsoft Windows Client Team do then in the big machine?
    I'm guessing - sales.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup

Quote Originally Posted by Phage View Post
    I'm guessing - sales.
    Computer says no....

[
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by morda8 View Post
    i never liked vista and i have stuck with xp, ppl who used win 7 would u say its better than vista or even xp?
    If you hated vista, you won't like 7.

They are practically the same OS, Win7 jsut has a few small tweeks over Vista.

Of course, if you want to jump on the bandwagon of "vista sucked, this new windows 7 rocks"....then I am sure you will like it.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Quote Originally Posted by 0iD View Post
    Computer says no....
    Random spam from orbit ?
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks
    • Georgy291's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ga-p55-ud3
      • CPU:
      • intel i5 750 @4.2
      • Memory:
      • 4gig DDR3 1600mhz 8.8.8
      • Storage:
      • 1tb samsung F3 + 200gig WD caviar black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6850 XF
      • PSU:
      • antec 750w something or other
      • Case:
      • antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" acer @1080p
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE @ 22mb

hexus now partners with microsoft?
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduckUK View Post
    now that i think about the word "throttled" in a certain light... its not so far different to strangled really

our boiler broke so we has no heating or hot water, this is the bloody result ^^

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

If you had, had Vista (it works fine) I'd say no - I've said this to anyone who will listen - changing OS for most people is a lot of hassle unless your having issues just isn't worth it. However from XP i'd say - go buy it if you can afford and have modernish hardware - It has many improvements such as the start bar and file copy dialogs (Vista has these as well - Why I wouldn't upgrade from Vista). It will also run new hardware better than XP.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    If you had, had Vista (it works fine) I'd say no - I've said this to anyone who will listen - changing OS for most people is a lot of hassle unless your having issues just isn't worth it. However from XP i'd say - go buy it if you can afford and have modernish hardware - It has many improvements such as the start bar and file copy dialogues (Vista has these as well - Why I wouldn't upgrade from Vista). It will also run new hardware better than XP.
    Finally someone who see's sense. Vista works, always has for me and actually runs better on my shuttle setup than Windows 7 does. Why change to Windows 7 over Vista? For me on Vista Ultimate x64 Windows 7 is not a massive jump for the £50 it was pre-order.

DX11 is heading to Vista, don't need XP mode as 99% of XP software and games work in Vista anyway and I definately don't need the bit locker stuff as truecrypt does exactly what I need from encryption.

I would say Windows 7 is being over hyped to make up for Vista's lack of hype. Everyone and their dog slagged Vista and when Windows 7 came out the majority were all over it saying how much of an improvement it was. Not for everyone it isn't. I would say if your system now can handle Vista and after testing the Windows 7 RC/RTM and there is no significant performance boost, then why waste the money in the first place. Wait till you need to upgrade the whole PC in the years to come then move onto Windows 7. Essentially it's Vista with a few toys added in and a new way of working with the task bar. It's not the massive jump the hype will have you believe.

Thanks
    • GheeTsar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung EVO 850 1 TB + 2 x 1TB Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS Radeon R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Tagan TG600-U33 600W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 24" 120Hz GD245HQ
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb

I jumped to 7 from XP and won't go back now - it's just so much slicker. Mind you, my wireless network card now won't work under 7, so that's annoying.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information