Thread: 77 WIndows tips primarily for corporate environment

Thanks

Smile 77 WIndows tips primarily for corporate environment

Hi All,

I found a bunch of technet tips regarding Windows 7 and in particular, some features useful to those in the corporate IT world. I made a little article about it that I thought might be interesting to some of you.
    http://www.evilmunky.com/?p=937

Some generic ones that you will know there, but a number of things that you may not have known and might find useful.

Thanks for reading.

Kip

2. Received thanks from:

kingpotnoodle (10-12-2009),tfboy (12-12-2009)

Thanks

Re: 77 WIndows tips primarily for corporate environment

Good read. BitLocker would only be needed for corporate laptops to encrypt the hard drives. That's what the company I work for now does but we use Windows 7 Enterprise.

Not sure if 64-bit would be advisable for corporate world. Think of all the in-house applications that might be 16-bit. That will not work with a 64-bit OS. Of course there is Virtual XP Mode...though that requires a CPU that supports hardware VT. Some later Pentium 4's supported that though. There are Pentium dual cores and even low end Core 2 Duos that do not.

Speaking of Virtual XP Mode. Does anyone know how to do some sort of pass through authentication for it? Where the host will pass through domain authentication to the guest XP OS? This is for apps, printer and file access from within the VM. The only way I have gotten around authentication is by telling it to remember my credentials when it asked. Of course every 3 months our passwords are forced to change...

Thanks

Re: 77 WIndows tips primarily for corporate environment

We have been having a debate today (im a kind of technical architect in my current role) about the 64bit vs 32bit situation. Part of our problem is that not all of our box's are compliant (32bit chips etc). If it weren't for that, I would push for 64bit and work on making the old legacy apps (which we do of course have) work. As it stands, it looks like we will be moving ahead with the 32bit version, especially as a lot of our machines (even ones less than 3 years) don't have the VT stuff.

Not tried virtual mode with authentication pass through yet, thats on next weeks list so I will feedback as and when I have info.

Thread Information