Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having Ubuntu or windows 7/Ubuntu

Registered+
    Thanks

Having Ubuntu or windows 7/Ubuntu

i am getting a new pc soon and was going to install Ubuntu as i'm not really a fan of windows, but a friend of mine said i should install window and Ubuntu, as some games aren't supported by Ubuntu. Is there any bad points to doing this apart from losing hard drive space?

Thanks
    • dirky's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8350
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 256GB 840 PRO, 1TB WD BLACK
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 7970 MATRIX PLAT.
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec P183
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M

Re: Having Ubuntu or windows 7/Ubuntu

No, if you have the space then its a good idea. 7 apparently comes with a bootloader now so you have the option of using that or grub

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by dirky View Post
    No, if you have the space then its a good idea. 7 apparently comes with a bootloader now so you have the option of using that or grub

Unlike... every single bootable operating system ever?

4. Received thanks from:

TAKTAK (12-12-2009)

Registered+
    Thanks

should i have them both on different hard drives or does it make no difference?

Splash

There's no problem with haveing 2 OSen installed on one disk. Both will obviously need seperate partitions, but if you intall Windows, then Ubuntu the latter should happily guide you through the partitioning process.

Registered+
    Thanks

ok thanks for your help

Thanks

One thing worth considering is where you put the partitions on the disk as mechanical HDDs (SSDs aren't affected by this) slow towards the end of the disk so don't go putting an OS in the last few gigs of the HDD. Something a lot of people do (including myself) if you have a large enough HDD is put the OS partitions at the start of the disk, say 60GB or so each, and leave the rest of the disk for data. Sorry if I'm over-complicating things and don't let this put you off. Also just ask if you need any more help configuring partitions.
    Hope this helps

Thanks

Heres an even better setup. Install win7 and then use Debian/Sidux on virtualbox. Virtualbox is great because you won't have to deal with the nightmare of device drivers in linux. Its the way to go if you're like me and you want to pick up a new OS rather than spending weeks fixing it before it'll work. This is especially true with semi bleeding edge distributions like Ubuntu where updating every 6 months WILL break audio/video/wifi/etc without fail.

Splash

Alternatively if the idea of playing with partitions and the like concerns you then take a look at Wubi which will happily install Ubuntu from within windows. It's kinda like good voodoo.

Thanks
    • Barrichello's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 x (250GB) Samsung 840 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce GTX 770 (DC2OC 2GB GDDR5)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB

Quote Originally Posted by sean4559 View Post
    i am getting a new pc soon and was going to install Ubuntu as i'm not really a fan of windows, but a friend of mine said i should install window and Ubuntu, as some games aren't supported by Ubuntu. Is there any bad points to doing this apart from losing hard drive space?
    Same as me then. I only really wanted Linux on my new PC but decided to get Win7 alongside for games only. I dual boot 9.10 with Win7 and works fine. First time i installed i put Linux on first and i had some issues, so i restarted again and found installing Win7 first was the cleanest process for me, heres how i set up mine for reference in case anybody wants to do the same, and has any issues...

1. Boot up with the Ubuntu CD
    2. Open a terminal and run gparted
    3. With gparted create a NTFS partion and Reboot.
    4. Boot up Windows 7 and install on to partition you created
    5. Reboot and install Ubuntu

When i tried installing the other way round with partitions created through win install, i had all sorts of issues, but with the above worked cleanly first time using gparted. I then just have grub as my bootloader with Ubuntu as first option and Win7 below just for games. Have fun!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zsev View Post
    Heres an even better setup. Install win7 and then use Debian/Sidux on virtualbox. Virtualbox is great because you won't have to deal with the nightmare of device drivers in linux. Its the way to go if you're like me and you want to pick up a new OS rather than spending weeks fixing it before it'll work. This is especially true with semi bleeding edge distributions like Ubuntu where updating every 6 months WILL break audio/video/wifi/etc without fail.
    I disagree with that - what's the point in running the primary OS inside of the secondary? A more logical way would be to run Windows (for compatibility) inside Linux but even then that's far from ideal because running games in a VM is awful. I agree with Splash about Wubi if configuring partitions is a problem at all.
    Last edited by watercooled; 13-12-2009 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    I disagree with that - what's the point in running the primary OS inside of the secondary? A more logical way would be to run Windows (for compatibility) inside Linux but even then that's far from ideal because running games in a VM is awful. I agree with Splash about Wubi if configuring partitions is a problem at all.
    Unless you run linux specific applications I don't see any reason to run linux as your main OS at all. Windows imo is a far superior desktop OS.

- Virtualization gives you instant access to both OS-es that run in parallel without having to reboot.
    - Flash support in windows is light years ahead, and watching youtube won't rape my CPU with 100% load.
    - Fonts are better anti-aliased in windows. Ubuntu does font rendering quite well, but still isn't quite there yet.
    - I don't have to deal with pulseaudio in windows, sound actually works!
    - I don't have to reconfigure Xorg/recompile nvidia drivers everytime an update breaks the entire system, nor do I have the technical knowledge of doing so without googling for days.
    - I can play most if not all of the games out there.

You must have better experience with linux on the desktop than I do as I'm still not satisfied with how linux performs for day to day tasks like browsing/email/movies/office productivity.
    Consider me as taking the easy way out, but 4 computers later and years of trying desktop linux, I'm now at the stage where I just want to use linux without weeks of troubleshooting. Virtualbox allows me to do exactly that.

Thanks

Windows is far from a superior OS for a massive number of reasons as anyone with proper experience of both OSes will tell you but I don't want to turn this thread into an OS war - the OP asked for how to partition, not a flame war...

Thanks

Not sure where you caught the wind of a flame war when I was merely trying to explain my setup. But ok, we'll leave it at that.

Thanks

I meant I didn't want it to turn into one as most OS discussions seem to, no offence.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

This laptop has 7 and Karmic dual-boot. Works fine. Just install Windows, then Ubuntu, and everything should JustWork(tm).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information