Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows CDs

Thanks

Re: Windows CDs

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rogers View Post
    The below is a quote from another forum, does that mean that some brands of computer won't install with an OEM XP CD with the COA that the company was given and put on the PC?

I think your best bet is trying to find someone local to you that has one. Unfortunately it will be tough because a lot of OEM versions will only install for that brand of computer.
    It looks like he's just saying what I mentioned above in relation to *manufacturer-specific* OEM discs. There may be the odd exceptions, but I wouldn't count on one of these branded discs working with anything other than the manufacturer's own hardware.

A generic XP OEM disc, such as in the system builder's pack you'd buy from an online retailer, is different - it's not BIOS-locked to a particular brand, and you just install it, enter the key on the COA sticker and activate in the normal way.

Thanks
    • richy19's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell e520
      • CPU:
      • intel e4300 OC 2.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2gb pc5200
      • Storage:
      • 550gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire hd 4650
      • PSU:
      • Dell
      • Case:
      • Dell e520
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" and 15"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCrash View Post
    Things became much easier with Vista, where any disc will work with any key, and it's the key alone which determines the type of installation.
    hi
    so with what the OP has in mind would he just need a Vista CD and he could install it with any key? (OEM, retail, bundle...)would you oly need one cd for home, enterprise, ultimate?
    Is this the same with windows 7?
    BTW are the 32bit edition and 64bit edition on 2 difrent cds or are they both on the same cd?

Thanks
    • Ben Rogers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67 B3
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i5 2500k @ 4400MHz
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3 (8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz)
      • Storage:
      • 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD (boot) + 1TB Samsung F3 + 500GB Samsung F1 SATA II
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI HD7870 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 650W Coolermaster VX
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion 5 II
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit SP1
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" Samsung SyncMaste
      • Internet:
      • 23Mbit / 1.1 Mbit ADSL2

Quote Originally Posted by richy19 View Post
    hi
    so with what the OP has in mind would he just need a Vista CD and he could install it with any key? (OEM, retail, bundle...)would you oly need one cd for home, enterprise, ultimate?
    BTW are the 32bit edition and 64bit edition on 2 difrent cds or are they both on the same cd?
    I'm sure sure that different keys would be needed if you entered them when installing Vista or 7 (DVD) depending on any version and 32 and 64bit differ to in keys - the latter though I am not 100% on but I am aware that you can install them without a product key and put it in later, before the 30 days is up.
    E6850@ 3700MHz / 6GB DDR2 / 500GB SATAII / nVidia 7800 GTX / Lian Li Plus7B

Thanks
    • richy19's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell e520
      • CPU:
      • intel e4300 OC 2.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2gb pc5200
      • Storage:
      • 550gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire hd 4650
      • PSU:
      • Dell
      • Case:
      • Dell e520
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" and 15"

I'm sure sure that different keys would be needed if you entered them when installing Vista or 7 (DVD) depending on any version and 32 and 64bit differ to in keys - the latter though I am not 100% on but I am aware that you can install them without a product key and put it in later, before the 30 days is up.
    oh what i meant was like could you download a vista cd from MS or someware and that cd would work for anyone that came to you(be it with an oem key, home key, enterprise key, ultimate key, 64bit key...)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richy19 View Post
    hi
    All Vista discs contain the code for all versions, apart from Enterprise - Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, retail, OEM, whatever, and it's just the key entered which determines the type of install (OEM/retail) and the features available. The x86 and x64 discs are different, but a product key for one is valid for both (one at a time, obviously) - this includes the OEM package, although unlike the retail box you'll only be supplied with the physical media for one or the other.

The big box shifters may have their own custom OEM discs which are locked to the hardware BIOS key on the motherboard, but again a generic OEM/retail disc (they're physically the same, only the EULA is different) can be used with the product key on the COA sticker. I've done exactly that many times...

It's *almost* the same with 7 (all discs contain the code for all versions), except there's a file called ei.cfg which specifies the version (Basic, HP, Professional and so on). This can be changed or removed altogether (to create a "universal" install disc as in Vista) with this handy utility.

I'm sure sure that different keys would be needed if you entered them when installing Vista or 7 (DVD) depending on any version and 32 and 64bit differ to in keys
    I've tried to understand what you're saying here, but without much success - hope the above answers your question. It's all been covered pretty comprehensively both here and elsewhere, so if you need any more info it's just a short google away.

CWH
    Registered+
    Thanks

Don't forget though, that TechNet and MSDN software is for 'testing & evaluation' purposes only.
    After a discussion with M/S Staff in Redmond while at a Summit a couple of years ago, we were told that they randomly do an audit of the software downloaded against the details of the downloader and while they said (at that time), no-one had been prosecuted for misuse, there had been a number of cases where subscriptions and M/S dealings had been terminated.

Personally, all my Clients either have a set of recovery discs, installation media, or a disk image as part of our dealings with them, even if we have to do it. In fact, we actually store quite a few of them, (with copies of their COA's), on behalf of the Clients along with their data copies.

Colin

Thanks
    • Ben Rogers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67 B3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI HD7870 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 650W Coolermaster VX
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit SP1
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" Samsung SyncMaste
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by CWH View Post
    Don't forget though, that TechNet and MSDN software is for 'testing & evaluation' purposes only.
    After a discussion with M/S Staff in Redmond while at a Summit a couple of years ago, we were told that they randomly do an audit of the software downloaded against the details of the downloader and while they said (at that time), no-one had been prosecuted for misuse, there had been a number of cases where subscriptions and M/S dealings had been terminated.

Personally, all my Clients either have a set of recovery discs, installation media, or a disk image as part of our dealings with them, even if we have to do it. In fact, we actually store quite a few of them, (with copies of their COA's), on behalf of the Clients along with their data copies.

Colin
    How often is it that the customer does not have the recovery discs or whatever media is needed? do you tell them that you cannot do the job?

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CWH View Post
    That's the MSDN/Technet software licence, so whilst what you're saying is true, it's rather irrelevant in this context.

Thanks
    • Ben Rogers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67 B3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI HD7870 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 650W Coolermaster VX
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit SP1
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" Samsung SyncMaste
      • Internet:

This whole issue is quite complicated for what should be very simple!

If Microsoft would just have one CD that worked on each PC for different versions of OS' with correct product key it would make life so much easier.

Also if every manufacturer would install XP from the same ISO it would be better as well.

I reckon MS just make it difficult to get people to upgrade to the latest OS and PCs that can't cope with newer OS' will just end up in landfill so MS are not doing any favours to the enviroment.

CWH
    Registered+
    Thanks

Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCrash View Post
    That's the MSDN/Technet software licence, so whilst what you're saying is true, it's rather irrelevant in this context.
    Not quite, the documentation I have here from TechNet says; 'any software that you obtain by virtue of your subscrition is for evaluation and testing only and is not to be used in a production environment'

Colin

Thanks

If you used the *product key* you obtained by virtue of your Technet subscription to install and activate the software in a "production environment", yes, you'd be in breach of the licence, but the physical means by which the bits were delivered to your HDD in the first place is neither here nor there.

The MSDN/Technet ISO itself is bit-for-bit identical to the disc in a standard retail pack that anyone could buy, and is equally worthless without an accompanying licence to use it, so it seems rather a silly point to get hung up on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information