Thread: C++ - My First Encounter

Thanks

C++ - My First Encounter

Hi

I've decided that my main project for the summer (Except getting a job and buying a 64bit machine ) is to learn C++.

I've just placed an order for this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...521778-5564633

and I was wondering if I've made a good choice.

Anyone give any reviews of this book? or recomend anything else that will aid me in learning C++? My target is to have a good idea about C++ by the time I start Uni (October). I know thats a realativly short time to learn so much but in dedicated...lol...

Thanks
    Falcon

Thanks
    There's two schools of thought of how to learn C++: you can either learn C first and then take the step up to C++ or you can dive straight in with C++.

Each has it's own advantages. Learning C first will teach you the basics and is a lot easier conceptually. Then, when you've built up some confidence and experience, you can add the ideas of object oriented programming (the main difference between C and C++) to your knowledge.

Doing straight into C++ means that you won't have to worry about the sutble differences between C and C++ and you won't have to learn anything twice. However, it can become a little overwhelming if you've never programmed before.

I'd recommend getting a copy of something like Microsoft Visual Studio (I prefer version 6 over .NET but that's just me ), especially if you can hide a copy that include the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) help files. It makes programming C++ a lot easier.

As for the book you mentioned, I've go no experience. Usually the reviews on Amazon are pretty spot on though. The first book I ever bought was "Sam's Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days". It introduced the basics very well but then seemed to rush the important parts.

I've also got "The C++ Programming Language" by Stroustrup which I certainly would not recommend to a new user as it's more of a reference book and pretty poorly worded in places.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron
    Each has it's own advantages. Learning C first will teach you the basics and is a lot easier conceptually. Then, when you've built up some confidence and experience, you can add the ideas of object oriented programming (the main difference between C and C++) to your knowledge.
    I've also been told that if I plan to be learning C++ there isn't really much point in learning C as their pretty much the same and that C++ can do everything C can and more. Is this true?

However, it can become a little overwhelming if you've never programmed before.
    I have programed before, but only with basic languages Like Visual Basic. I understand the basic concepts of programing and I am perfectly aware that even a "Hello World" program is probably more advanced than your Average VB program.

I'd recommend getting a copy of something like Microsoft Visual Studio (I prefer version 6 over .NET but that's just me ), especially if you can hide a copy that include the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) help files. It makes programming C++ a lot easier.
    How much that gonna cost me?

*Looks at thin wallet*

And as for the books you mentioned, I nearly bought the teach yourself C++ in 21 Days mysel but decided on the one I ordered because I felt it looked more Comprehensive, and that is now the second bad review of the other one that I've had so I definatly won't be buying that.

Thanks
    I've also been told that if I plan to be learning C++ there isn't really much point in learning C as their pretty much the same and that C++ can do everything C can and more. Is this true?
    All C code is valid in C++. So you could write a C program and compile with a C++ compiler without problems. If you've already done something like VB then I'd try an skip C if possible.

How much that gonna cost me?
    If you can find the Student edition, I believe it's only £50-£100 but it seems quite hard to find. You might want to see if you can borrow a copy first though.

If you want free alternatives, then I believe Eclipse has a C++ plug-in but it's not very mature.

Thanks
    Ok, thanks for your help.

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...980400-1657237

thats the one you want, this guy basically developed the c++ language so if you want a good source look at this book, i got it for uni had me up and running in a few weeks

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    I reckon VC++ is probably overkill if you are just wanting to get to grips with learning C++. Just grab cygwin or djgpp and get stuck in!
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

Thanks
    *gets confused with all the big words being thrown around, cires*

And

Book ordered and DJGPP Website bookmakred for further analasys.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Try this one

(Sorry link didn't work)

Do a search on Amazon for:-

Object Oriented Programming with C++. by David Parsons

It covers all the basic stuff, is easy to understand, and really explains OOP well.

I would still have been struggling with classes etc without it.
    Last edited by willsy; 08-04-2004 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks
    When i did C++ at uni i was horrendus It was basically the first language I had to write in along with ARM assembler. I think its good that you will get to know the basics before uni as they move at an incredible rate and just leave you behind if you get stuck... generally when doing it in the labs the helpers consentrated on people who actually knew what they were doing anyway and us poor souls (who couldnt be arsed to do it 24hrs a day) got left behind. I cannot speak for any other courses but at the uni i went to alot of the assignments didnt have an obvious use to me which made it hard to see what im supposed to do.... (im still bitter about it all haha)

Personally i think its best to start with an easy language which you can do things with
    such as html and more importantly JAVASCRIPT.

In my opinion all langauges are at a basic level similar. variables, logical operators,
    arrays, and functions etc..... if you can learn to use them you will kick arse for the first few months at uni.

as an example of what i did with it goto

http://www.angelfire.com/music4/oldskool0/

now i wrote this by hand (first program i have written ever) and it takes an age to load and as its angelfire there is a 6 Mbytes an hour limit. What i learnt in C++ translated directly to javascript and by doing javascript my C++ has infinetly improved.

THIS WILL TAKE AN AGE TO LOAD EVEN WITH 1.5 MEG broadband
    Last edited by Kumagoro; 01-05-2004 at 09:09 PM.

Thread Information