Thread: Anyone home counties based after a job ?

Thanks

Anyone home counties based after a job ?

They've finally got around to advertising for my replacement.

Key responsbilities include:

* Responsible for ensuring the data center systems are always available and reliable; including:

- Physical infrastructure - HP rack and blade servers, racks, power, VKM, environmentals.

- Storage sub-systems, including HP XP and EVA, MSL and ESL tape library systems

* Infrastructure applications including: Windows server, Linux server, Exchange, IIS, SQL, ISA, VMware
    * Monitoring of the Service Desk system and responding to issues that have been escalated to the GHC
    * Compliance with Change Control Processes and adherence to standards and documentation
    * Responsible for the consistent build and ongoing hardware and O/S support for servers, both within the GHC and DTS deployed servers within the Region's member firms.
    * Responsible for the consistent build and ongoing hardware and firmware support of LAN and WAN infrastructure
    * As a member of the operations team day to day responsibility for the entire Hosting Center operations and facilities and participate in a 24/7/365 on-call rotation. Participate in "Systems Day" and other maintenance activities.
    * Responsible for collation of data and the distribution of daily and monthly operational reports.
    * Responsible for the installation and update of all Antivirus software, security patches and service packs as directed
    * Responsible for the backup and recovery of all systems both within the data center and deployed infrastructure in the Region's member firms
    * Working with project teams, Global Network Operations Engineers and the Technical Support group implementing new systems as required
    * Optimization and performance of the hardware infrastructure (LAN, WAN and Server) within the Hosting Center
    * Responsible for awareness and compliance with all aspects relating to policy and guidelines of the Information Security Management System, including but not limited to the Information Security Policy and Information Security Standards
    * Performs all related job functions following established process and procedures in order to preserve the confidentiality of information hosted and managed by the organization from unauthorized disclosure and to protect the integrity of information hosted and managed by the organization from unauthorized or accidental modification, and protect the accuracy and completeness of this information
    * Responsible for reporting any (known or suspected) breach in information security or policies to the Global Security Office

Qualifications
    Key skills/qualifications include:

* Degree in computer science or equivalent qualifications/experience in the data center operations or specific related function. Significant relevant technical training courses.
    * In-depth knowledge of Windows 2003, 2008, Active Directory 2003, Exchange 2007 (2010) and IIS. Experience with Active Directory & Exchange 2007 implementations of > 10,000 users.
    * In-depth knowledge of Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating system.
    * In-depth knowledge of VMare ESX 3.5 and 4.0. VCP certification high desirable
    * In-depth knowledge of rack infrastructure including power, kvm etc.
    * In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Data Protection manager (DPM), Veritas Backup Exec 10 and/or Netbackup and LTO tape devices.
    * In-depth knowledge of HP Rack and Blade servers, HP XP and EVA SAN, including MPIO, AutoPath and SecurePath software. Experience with Cisco equipment a plus
    * Good knowledge of Microsoft System Center products including SCCM 2007, SCOM 2007
    * Working knowledge of SQL 2005, 2008
    * Good knowledge of HP Systems Insight Manager
    * Solid knowledge of HP rack and blade server hardware. Experience with SAN (HP) and Cisco networking equipment a plus
    * Familiarity with local & wide area networks, intrusion detection tools.
    * Experience with large scale data center implementations and architecture and appreciate the important aspects of running a 24/7/365 operation
    * Detailed understanding and ability to operate within a process driven organization
    * Experience is required in managing and organizing documentation within operational environments with focus upon indexing and content labeling
    * Proven ability in communicating is essential along with the ability to differentiate appropriately. Excellent English verbal and written communications skills
    * Sensitivity and cultural awareness is essential as the role will involve contact with a variety of people around the globe
    * Discipline and experience in recognizing and handling confidential and sensitive information.
    * Excellent time management is essential
    * Attention to detail is essential

Milton Keynes based - I'd say ballpark salary was about 36k + OT ( bear in mind I did 15k in overtime last year.... ) Job is offered on a 6 month fixed contract / trial.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks

Re: Anyone home counties based after a job ?

Hey Moby, which company are you joining??? Good luck in your new job.

Considering the list of "in-depth" knowledge requirements + the rest is £36K basic a fair salary? Or does it reflect high volume of IT techs available in the market?

Also considering > 10,000 logins and mailboxes + cultural awareness we are probably talking a reasonable sized multinational company.

I wish I could forward you my CV.....

cheers,

Thanks
    • Bugbait's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z370 Auros Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel i8 8700K (Watercooled)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 4000Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, SS 1TB, WD 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP-850 Platinum
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 900D (Dual D5 in series: 120.7 - EX360 + EX480) Noctua F & P12 Fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 31MU97
      • Internet:
      • VM Cable (100Meg)

Quote Originally Posted by pardal51 View Post
    Considering the list of "in-depth" knowledge requirements + the rest is £36K basic a fair salary? Or does it reflect high volume of IT techs available in the market?
    Sounds low especially given the 6 month fixed contract / trial condition, but I'm not too familiar with rates outside of the (Greater) London area which may have a (downward) impact.

I only know two people that exceed those requirements and both are on £100k+ (close to £150k) without factoring in overtime. Then again, most job specifications detail an ideal candidate more than the minimum required.

If Moby-Dick was doing all that, hope he asked for (a lot) more .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pardal51 View Post
    Hey Moby, which company are you joining??? Good luck in your new job.

Also considering > 10,000 logins and mailboxes + cultural awareness we are probably talking a reasonable sized multinational company.

I wish I could forward you my CV.....

cheers,
    I've been with the same firm for 4 years , its just an internal transfer I've taken which has left a Moby shaped hole in the operatiosnteam For an operations role its not too bad pay wise , with plenty of Overtime available , you can take home plenty more than the basic. There is also some opportunity for international travel and working for possibly the top firm in its field and most definatly a hosehold name
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bugbait View Post
    Sounds low especially given the 6 month fixed contract / trial condition, but I'm not too familiar with rates outside of the (Greater) London area which may have a (downward) impact.

I only know two people that exceed those requirements and both are on £100k+ (close to £150k) without factoring in overtime. Then again, most job specifications detail an ideal candidate more than the minimum required.

If Moby-Dick was doing all that, hope he asked for (a lot) more .
    Its not a contractors role - no need for any overpaid primadonna's here thanks It terms of the spec it is most certainly an ideal one - having been in the role for quite some time , I wouldn't say even I fit that spec perfectly ! in terms of market rates I'm pretty sure we'll get what we pay for. Read into that what you may.

Thanks
    • Bugbait's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z370 Auros Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel i8 8700K (Watercooled)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 4000Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, SS 1TB, WD 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP-850 Platinum
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 900D (Dual D5 in series: 120.7 - EX360 + EX480) Noctua F & P12 Fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 31MU97
      • Internet:
      • VM Cable (100Meg)

Quote Originally Posted by Moby-Dick View Post
    Its not a contractors role - no need for any overpaid primadonna's here thanks
    As much as I’d like to disagree, I’ve worked with too many crap contactors in my limited time to debate it. I’d still argue the percentage of bad contractors is lower than permanent but given the usual wage disparity it really should be a lot better.

Although, a 6 month contract/trial on staff/permanent salary is a bit cheaky on the employer’s part .

Thanks

It reasonably cheeky , I'd agree but it does help prevent trying to get rid of someone who clearly isn't up to the task - think of it as a long probation period. I believe its a practice taken on from our US colleages

Thread Information