Thread: Windows 7 - external display issue

Registered+
    Thanks

Windows 7 - external display issue

Hi,

A while back i built a HTPC using an Abit AN-M2HD motherboard and quite some time ago upgraded to Windows 7.

The issue is I have a Samsung LE40A656 LCD Panel which i connect to my HTPC via the HDMI output on the mobo to the HDMI input on the TV simple...

Initially using the external display as per any Windows OS you need to ensure the external display is booted up with the machine so that it recognises it once booted into Windows, I've had no issues with this Windows 7 detects the external display and even when i place the HTPC into a sleep/hibernation mode the monitor is detected upon powering up.

Now as of late I have been experiencing sporadic detection issues (bit like Russian Roulette) it will sometimes :

- Detect the Monitor from the bootup (bios) and load into Windows displaying the external display, the moment i turn the LCD off and switch it back (on after a moment) it will automatically lose the connection.

- Sometimes its not detected in the BIOS windows will load up not detecting the monitor and I will put the HTPC into sleep mode and when powered up it will magically detect it.

I have no idea why its like its chooses how and when to connect, the LCD itself has no connection issues when connecting to the PS3 its displays straight away and changing the HDMI port shows the same results.

I have tried upgrading the drivers to the latest version it worked for a little while or so i thought and is now no longer working

Thanks for any tips or advice in advance.

Thanks

Re: Windows 7 - external display issue

Got windows xp on my computer , i need a update to windows 7, I need drivers to bootfrom

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x2dazee View Post
    Hi,

A while back i built a HTPC using an Abit AN-M2HD motherboard and quite some time ago upgraded to Windows 7.

The issue is I have a Samsung LE40A656 LCD Panel which i connect to my HTPC via the HDMI output on the mobo to the HDMI input on the TV simple...

Initially using the external display as per any Windows OS you need to ensure the external display is booted up with the machine so that it recognises it once booted into Windows, I've had no issues with this Windows 7 detects the external display and even when i place the HTPC into a sleep/hibernation mode the monitor is detected upon powering up.

Now as of late I have been experiencing sporadic detection issues (bit like Russian Roulette) it will sometimes :

- Detect the Monitor from the bootup (bios) and load into Windows displaying the external display, the moment i turn the LCD off and switch it back (on after a moment) it will automatically lose the connection.

- Sometimes its not detected in the BIOS windows will load up not detecting the monitor and I will put the HTPC into sleep mode and when powered up it will magically detect it.

I have no idea why its like its chooses how and when to connect, the LCD itself has no connection issues when connecting to the PS3 its displays straight away and changing the HDMI port shows the same results.

I have tried upgrading the drivers to the latest version it worked for a little while or so i thought and is now no longer working

Thanks for any tips or advice in advance.
    I used to experience handshaking issues on my HTPC but it's very rare if at all these days. What graphics card (on-board or physical card) do you have? I'm not sure how Nvidia works as I'm using ATI, but if you set up a hotkey to your regular resolution/refresh rate you should be able to activate that with your keyboard and bring the screen back to life.

Alternatively you could set up 2 hotkeys, one for 1080p/50 and one for 1080p/60 say, and swap between them in your a handshake issue.

No exactly ideal, but better than putting the PC to sleep.

Registered+
    Thanks

The chipset is a Geforce 7050 PV / Nforce 630a, could you please elaborate on the refresh / hotkey suggestion

Thanks

Thanks

I don't know what options Nvidia has as I never used them, but with the ATI CCC I can setup a hot key to a certain refresh rate & resolution. Hitting the hotkey will automatically apply the selection, and it should re-initialise the HDMI handshake and give you an image.

I have the following set up (to change between HD resolutions for different framerates):

1080p/24 - Alt+I
    1080p/50 - Alt+O
    1080p/60 - Alt+P

You should be able to do something similar with the resolutions you use the most. Whilst I use mine to change framerate to match the content I'm watching, it does re-initialize my display if I'm not getting an image for any reason.

Good luck!

Thread Information