Thread: dual booting xp and mandrake 10.0

Thanks

Question dual booting xp and mandrake 10.0

how do i dual boot xp and mandrake 10.0 community editon? i did it b4 by having xp installed first then setting up mandrake...BUT when i did it erm wouldnt work when i selected lwindows.mandrake ran fine tho. so what do i need to do to dual boot both.

Thanks
    I just dropped into the software section to ask for advice on the same thing.

I have never used a linux operating system before, well apart from Knoppix, and only when I was having comp probs and needed an OS working quickly. Such a great idea to have a CD-rom booting OS.

Anyway, I am running XP Pro SP1 and have downloaded the DVD of Mandrake 10 to try. So if I install it am I likely to get any problems ? Is there anything I should make sure I do ?

Right now, as you can see in my sig, I have 3 hard drives, the 40 gig with windows XP on it, and I plan to install mandrake on abouit 30Gig of free space on my 160Gig Sata drive. Now since I haven't used a linux OS before I need some advice on which partition type I should use ? There quite a few to choose from ... I take it its not the greatest idea to chose FAT32, so what should I use? (Am just installing mandrake on a virtual pc right now so I can see all the choices )

Would appreciate any advice

Thanks
    Desktop: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1024Mb PC-3200 TwinMOS w/Winbond, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Radeon 9800SE AIW, 40 GB 7,200 Rpm Hitachi Deskstar, 120GB 7,200 Rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor Diamond 9, 160GB 7200 Rpm 8mb Cache Seagate 7200.7 SATA, Plextor 708A 8x DVD-RW, 550W PFC Q-tec PSU, Casetek 1019SM Silver Case, Camdridge Soundworks DTT2200 Speakers

Laptop: Clevo D470W - 17" Widescreen TFT, Intel Pentium4 3.06Ghz 533FSB, 1024Mb PC-2700 Hynix, Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, Fujitsu 80Gb 4,200rpm, 250Gb 7,2000rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor OneTouch, Toshiba SD-R6372 DVD-RW +/- x4, Built-in Four speakers, webcam and microphone

Thanks
    me too...any ideas guys

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    come back in a few weeks, i'm working on a big guide to linux & open source software for the site.

though you should use EXT3 or ReiserFS as the file system on a modern distro, and dual-booting ought to just work if you install linux after windows - if you determine whether the Grub boot loader or LILO boot loader are in use, i can be more helpful

Thanks
    I have a triple boot of WinXP, Win98se and Mandrake 9.X on my machine. I have 98 and XP on one Hdd, seperate partitions, and the Mandrake install on another HD. I installed XP then Mandrake and Win98 was an after thought but just added it to the boot loader. If you install the linux on a seperate HD to XP then should something happen to either of them you only have to replace one not both....

Thread Information