• TT Core 5
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Lg 43"
      • Internet:
      • Utility Warehouse

Re: Folding Chit-Chat

...Server was leak tested at the weekend, and run at stock while I installed Windows. Thought I'd try an OEM copy that I'd used previously and see if I could get it to activate, but no joy. Switched the key for a retail one I'd got and lost EVERYTHING. Hard disks wouldn't boot. Looked to all the world like a hardware failure, but it was just the copy of Windows failing to work.

Managed to re-install windows again last night, but I'm not happy with the temps. Nearly 70C folding under water with 2x.2.120 rads and 2x1.120 rads installed. I know the fans are sh1t€ so i've ordered some off Specialtech - Scythe Jyuni 1900's. Got several in my main rig, and at 130CFM on full whack they should cool things down a bit.... especially as they're 2 thirds the price of the Gentle Typhoons - ordered the last 5 I can find, which should mix things up a bit.

Not sure what to do if that doesn't resolve it..... There's no way that CPU (2600K) should get that hot!

Fans should be here today, along with the 6 port controller, so should have an update tonight.

Switching from ICH10 to a Rocketraid 2680 has paid off for transfer speeds. While the raid array (4x1tb in Raid 5+1 hot spare) was in the initialising status I started to restore my data and was stunned to see write speeds of 80mb/sec. To put that in context using intel's that was 1-4mb/sec like for like. Copying the files over only took a couple of hours instead of DAYS, and the array finished initialising late into the evening which was a day or so ahead of the Intel one. It's slower on the boot, but as this box will be up and folding 24/7 that's no issue.

Fold on people...
    Join the HEXUS Folding @ home team

Now with added Ruffus Dog Tattysnuc's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Tattysnuc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus 570X Strix F
      • CPU:
      • 3900X @ Stock
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb Rysen C18 Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2080 ti under Bykski water
      • PSU:
      • eVGA 850W
      • Case:
      • TT Core 5
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Lg 43"
      • Internet:
      • Utility Warehouse

I've had a frustrating week with my server. Got everything installed, and running, and then I spied my CPU temps were VERY high, certainly compared to my main gaming rig. A quick check of the voltages revealed nothing too alarming (my servers chip requires 1.43v to get to 4.5Ghz, vs 1.36 on my gaming rig) but it wasnt the vcore that's the problem, it's the temps! @ 4.2Ghz/1.38v the cpu under load folds at 77C, whereas my gaming rig is at least 10C lower. Both are under water with similar cooling capabilities.

I've disabled CPU folding for now. It looks safe enough at those levels, but I'm not overly happy with it in it's current guise. Besides, my rooms hot enough with 2 other rigs folding 24/7 in there.

I've reseated the CPU a couple of times with some MX4 and each time it's looked to have good contact, and the flow rate through the block is good enough (2 DDC pumps in series, 1x10W, 1x18W) and I can see that water is flowing via a transparent section of hosing just after the CPU. Fans are the Scythe jyuni 1900rpm ones, same as in my main rig, and I can feel the breeze they create, so that's not the issue. Maybe i've just got a hot running CPU. Damned ebay!

Might be time to start playing with peltiers again. For nowI'm oging to leave it.

I had all sorts of fun installing Windows. I've got:
    Sabertooth P67 board (B3),
    4x2Gb memory,
    2600K,
    NV GTX 295 under water,
    2x300Gb WD Raptors in Raid 0 on ICH10
    Highpoint 2680 Raid controller with 5x1Gb in Raid 5

When I installed Windows, and EVERYTHING else, all ran nice (but hot). I'd used my oem Win 7 disk which I'd used on a different rig previously. I dug out my last remaining Retail copy of Win 7 and used that key on it after it faield to activate with the already-used OEM copy. It registered fine, and then required a reboot, so while it was rebooting I had a play in the EUFI Bios to squeeze a few more mhz out of it. No joy. Dead as a dodo. Nyada!

Panic set in. Have I pushed the overclock too far? I restored the BIOS defaults. Still nothing. Changed the boot order? Zippo.

Stuck a CD in.... boot to cd! Good old Hiren! Looks like it's my windows mbr or something. Tried a repair.... Still nothing. Oh well, time for a reinstall, so off I went and reinstalled the machine. Thank god the raid 5 array was untouched!

After tirelessly re-installing I got back to a base install, but this time I installed using JUST the Win 7 Retail disk, and now, no probs. Activated fine. Folding downloaded and configured on the GTX 295 and the 2600K. Still running a bit hot, but that's for another day.

Well, Tuesday was that other day. I then decided it was time for a fiddle once more. On checking the Asus site I found a more up-to-date beta bios that promised better performance... Wonder if that'll help the chip run cooler. Downloaded the bios, updated it.... success! Now all I need to do is reboot, so I do just that.... except now my raid 0 array wont boot again.... same symptoms as last weekend! Grrrrrrr...Still the same black screen with a flashing cursor (not even an invalid boot device or missing OS error), so back I go to Win 7 install for a 3rd time. This time I'm unable to install to my Raid 0 bootable array! Deep breaths.... I then download the 1502 bios and flash that back in, in an attempt to restore normality. Success.

So the 3rd install of Win 7 has gone on, no probs, with the rig running mostly without the turbo kicking in as there's little or no load on the CPU, with the GTX 295 folding 24/7. Temps are still in the mid 40's on the CPU (unloaded) rising to 70C+ when loaded but they never go above that. Beginning to think this is due to the CPU, but I've lost interest in playing with this for the time being. Need some quality time with my wife and dog after losing this week's evenings to this.

At least it's up and running I suppose....

Thanks
    • 1stRaven's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII Hero
      • CPU:
      • I7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung Evo 850 M.2, 2 x Samsung EVO 850 500Gb, Seagate 3tb HDD, 24Tb Unraid Server
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x PNY GTX 1080 FE
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Be-Quiet Dark Pro 900 Silver
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 22" and 1 x Dell U2913WM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 150Mb

sounds like you are having the same issues as me. I managed to get the cpu to run at around 2-3 degrees hotter than the motherboard for a day or so but now its back up to over 10 degrees difference.

I've tried cleaning it, reseating it (again) but no joy.

Btw, I am back looking after the servers for a week so going to try and chuck a quick half million points through.

Thanks
    • Tattysnuc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus 570X Strix F
      • CPU:
      • 3900X @ Stock
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb Rysen C18 Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • eVGA 850W
      • Case:
      • TT Core 5
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Lg 43"
      • Internet:
      • Utility Warehouse

Hey, welcome back! Get them up and going!

I'm toying with the idea of increasing the cooling as I have a few 2.120mm rads sitting around, just to eliminate inadequate cooling from the equation. If that fails, I guess the only other thing to do is swap the CPU for the one in my gamin rig and see if that's any better. Actually, that would make more sense to do first, but I'm loathed to touch the setup, as the gaming rig is running lovely and cool.

Thanks
    • Tattysnuc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus 570X Strix F
      • CPU:
      • 3900X @ Stock
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb Rysen C18 Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • eVGA 850W
      • Case:
      • TT Core 5
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Lg 43"
      • Internet:
      • Utility Warehouse

Nice little boost to your points there Ryan! Looks like you weren't kidding about your work servers

Thanks
    • 1stRaven's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII Hero
      • CPU:
      • I7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung Evo 850 M.2, 2 x Samsung EVO 850 500Gb, Seagate 3tb HDD, 24Tb Unraid Server
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x PNY GTX 1080 FE
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Be-Quiet Dark Pro 900 Silver
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 22" and 1 x Dell U2913WM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 150Mb

I've got to try and keep you on your toes.....

Thanks
    • Tattysnuc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus 570X Strix F
      • CPU:
      • 3900X @ Stock
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb Rysen C18 Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • eVGA 850W
      • Case:
      • TT Core 5
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Lg 43"
      • Internet:
      • Utility Warehouse

Just glad to see our points tally rising again. Seems like there's a lot of folders who've fallen by the way side over the summer. We've gone from 40+ in the team right down to 15. On the climb again now though, back up to 17, which is great to see. Can't wait to see who re-joins when their leccy bills become free due to being in halls....

Wonder if we'll be able to beat our annual tally for last year.... Need to do the stats next weekend and see if we can't come up with a decent challenge for ourselves...

Had my leccy bill through - it was £500 more than we'd been paying. Thankfully the gas was also £500 out, but the other way (last bill vs estimate was 12 months prior).

As it was a really cold winter last year I think I can keep my machines folding 24/7 over the winter at no additional cost. I know that the costs have gone up, but we were in arrears following a massive overpayment a couple of years prior, so basically I can use the same amount of leccy this year at no additional cost to the household running, which is a relief.

Going to move get on building my media centre machine next and put that in the home cinema room to keep that warm. I've currently got it with a GTX 8800 with stock cooling - the idea was to water cool that, but I've been thinking about switching the card for my GTX 285 instead. I've got a full cover block for my 8800 GTX which makes that more appealing to do, but the 285 would give me a bit more clout.

Questions: What's the power draw of a 285 vs an 8800, and how do their thermal capacities differ.
    Finally, what's the best way to cool this non reference 285 card?

I've got about 8 OCZ hydrocool waterblocks sitting around - I was thinking of modding one to do the job. Anyone done anything similar?

Not sure what radiators I'll need to keep that lot cool, but I do have plenty of them sitting around since re-doing the water cooling on my server - I've 4 2.120 rads that could be put to good use, I was thinking of mounting 1 either side of my shuttle rig, with a hole cut in either side and the fan mounted on the inside - I'll put up a drawing and start a thread for that when I've got some time, hopefully over this weekend....

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

GTX480 on stand by here

Just waiting for September and BDZ and I'll be back. Bring on the cold weather!
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

9. Received thanks from:

Tattysnuc (25-08-2011)

Thanks
    • Tattysnuc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus 570X Strix F
      • CPU:
      • 3900X @ Stock
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb Rysen C18 Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • eVGA 850W
      • Case:
      • TT Core 5
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Lg 43"
      • Internet:
      • Utility Warehouse

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    GTX480 on stand by here

Just waiting for September and BDZ and I'll be back. Bring on the cold weather!
    Nice. That's 15k+ ppd in the wings! Thought you were getting a laptop?

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by Tattysnuc View Post
    Nice. That's 15k+ ppd in the wings! Thought you were getting a laptop?
    I bought my mum a laptop for her birthday, unless you're getting me and Nibbler mixed up
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks
    • Tattysnuc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus 570X Strix F
      • CPU:
      • 3900X @ Stock
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb Rysen C18 Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • eVGA 850W
      • Case:
      • TT Core 5
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Lg 43"
      • Internet:
      • Utility Warehouse

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    I bought my mum a laptop for her birthday, unless you're getting me and Nibbler mixed up
    Probublee It happens when you start getting old.....

You leaving the 480 on air, or you going to put it under water?

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Probublee It happens when you start getting old.....

You leaving the 480 on air, or you going to put it under water?
    Air, although most likely under a 3rd party cooler [Gelid one looks good] in the near future as it gets loud and toasty.

Thanks
    • Tattysnuc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus 570X Strix F
      • CPU:
      • 3900X @ Stock
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb Rysen C18 Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • eVGA 850W
      • Case:
      • TT Core 5
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Lg 43"
      • Internet:
      • Utility Warehouse

1stRaven - Looks like your servers are winding down again.... Not a bad weeks folding for you mate!

I'd like to try and see if we can set the team a targit, but something that's realistic.

Year on year we should be up (at a quick glance it looks that way) but without you folding full time as you were last year, then I think we may struggle to match last years total. I'll do some research next weekend once I've got the monthly stats out the way.

Only 3 more days to get your points in before the monthly stats are done....

Thanks
    • The_Wheelhouse's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 930
      • Memory:
      • 6GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 5830
      • PSU:
      • XFX 650W XXX Edition
      • Case:
      • Haf 922
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 21.5" Dell
      • Internet:
      • Virgin

JCan't wait to see who re-joins when their leccy bills become free due to being in halls....

I won't be able to put out anything impressive next year (not like i add much anyway) i have only managed to get a i3 2310m laptop from my £300 bugdet

Join the HEXUS Folding@home Team!!

Thanks
    • Tattysnuc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus 570X Strix F
      • CPU:
      • 3900X @ Stock
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb Rysen C18 Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • eVGA 850W
      • Case:
      • TT Core 5
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Lg 43"
      • Internet:
      • Utility Warehouse

Quote Originally Posted by 1stRaven View Post
    (Snip)Btw, I am back looking after the servers for a week so going to try and chuck a quick half million points through.
    you finished stealing this months folding limelight?

Thanks
    • Tattysnuc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus 570X Strix F
      • CPU:
      • 3900X @ Stock
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb Rysen C18 Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • eVGA 850W
      • Case:
      • TT Core 5
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Lg 43"
      • Internet:
      • Utility Warehouse

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wheelhouse View Post
    I won't be able to put out anything impressive next year (not like i add much anyway) i have only managed to get a i3 2310m laptop from my £300 bugdet
    Damned shame that. Looking at your sysinfo that rig (Core i7) that should be a great rig for folding... shame it's not going with you to uni or wherever...

Thread Information