• UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Why do people buy Apple / OSX?

I had an Apple once and it just worked too. It was ergonomic in shape ,was lightweight,felt solid and was not cheap too since I bought it in Selfridges. It was easy to get to grips with.

However,all good things have to come to an end as I felt hungry and ate it!!

It was a sad day. Bananas can't compete.

2. Received thanks from:

Output (08-09-2011),pollaxe (09-09-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    I'm curious to find why windows doesn't cut it in any form, and where exactly the linux distros are getting but not there yet?

So far thou, I must admit I'm getting the impression most mac users are even more ignorant and jaded than I thought.

I still can't get over the not one issue, oh the HDD died, very early, but I didn't have one single issue mentality.......
    Trust me, if you have 40 terminals open, 4 instances of firefox and numerous remote X programs running. You'll want a mac.

Ubuntu simply doesnt cut it for fonts, UI speed or fast workflow. If I could move to a free system, I would. But free and not as good is not the same as a great an pay a little. Unless my time and sanity is not worth the effort?

The issue with most mac haters is they also zombies to their loves. Unless you are buying a dell cheapo business box, you are always going to be ripped off. Either by intel, nvidia etc. It's called business, they charge what people will pay.

A car is not just the specifications of the engine, hence a computer is not just what is inside the box.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abaxas View Post
    The issue with most mac haters is they also zombies to their loves. Unless you are buying a dell cheapo business box, you are always going to be ripped off. Either by intel, nvidia etc. It's called business, they charge what people will pay.

A car is not just the specifications of the engine, hence a computer is not just what is inside the box.
    Agree on your point of getting rip off but more competition for Windows based laptops/computers as there are more brands in the mix and so hopefully the competition gives better prices and therefore less getting rip off than Mac. Obviously, you can put Mac into the mix but they are different ecosystems so harder to compare although people do switch around.

I mean you like OSX and I don't think they even allow you to install that damn thing in a "non-Mac" (even though what's inside the non-Mac has the similar components...)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by usxhe190 View Post
    Agree on your point of getting rip off but more competition for Windows based laptops/computers as there are more brands in the mix and so hopefully the competition gives better prices and therefore less getting rip off than Mac. Obviously, you can put Mac into the mix but they are different ecosystems so harder to compare although people do switch around.

I mean you like OSX and I don't think they even allow you to install that damn thing in a "non-Mac" (even though what's inside the non-Mac has the similar components...)
    I agree, all great computer systems are closed ones. It's just easier to juggle 50 options than 50,000,000 ones.

People sould buy a computer(and os) that is correct for them. Some people will be happy with a 300 quid plasticomatic windows laptop, others will need a mac, some with build their own and some poor sod will buy an acer.

I have a mac for work, an old ibm x40 for the sofa, three ml115s in the garage for the backend and an android phone. I buy what is best for the job I want to do or cheap if I dont really care. However I would still recommend apple laptops to anyone who asks, simply because I know I wont have to support them. A happy friend is one who doesnt phone me up at 9pm asking why their AV software is attempting to extort them out of money, etc.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

A happy friend is one who doesnt phone me up at 9pm asking why their AV software is attempting to extort them out of money, etc.
    Yes, that always happens.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Defender
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Trust me, if you have 40 terminals open, 4 instances of firefox and numerous remote X programs running. You'll want a mac.
    Dunno what your doing in X, but I used to have about 20 PUTTY session, 5 mstsc, and a fair few opera instances running, without hassle, on a 2gig NT4 machine, that was from the dark ages, admined by the minions of German Satan. (unlike the current Germans who I'm working with who are loverly people I'd never say anything bad about, even if they still haven't gotten me a usable 64bit desktop, and made me use lotus notes....).

Banned
    Thanks

Dunno what your doing in X, but I used to have about 20 PUTTY session, 5 mstsc, and a fair few opera instances running, without hassle, on a 2gig NT4 machine, that was from the dark ages, admined by the minions of German Satan. (unlike the current Germans who I'm working with who are loverly people I'd never say anything bad about, even if they still haven't gotten me a usable 64bit desktop, and made me use lotus notes....).
    Sounds just like me.

Been there, done that, had the pain. But since I'm self employed I can choose what I use.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Just read through this whole topic so apologies if ive missed something (5 pages is alot...).

Macs just work? now i have never owned a mac, so i will just give an experience from my mate. Theres a group of us that are gaming very regularly, one mate got an imac 27" one and would not stop boasting about it (would you if you just spent 1.5k on it...) and in the time hes had it (over a year) its crashed about the same amount of times as my windows pc, give or take a few.

Now the main thing here is that when a windows pc "crashes" 99% of the time you get an informative bsod or something WITH an error code so you can work out what has actually gone wrong. However my mates imac, all that happens is everything closes and then freezes on the desktop for 5-10minutes lol, with no error message or anything... useless crash lol!.

I think they're over priced but thats my own opinion, taking the same mate previously mentioned... he had an ipod classic and had to have it replaced like 3 times, only one lasted over a year.

He uses his Imac for gaming, yet he wont even run it at the displays native resolution as all his games lag, even CSS lol!.

Each to his own with Apple but for me its unsuitable as we are currently forced to use Visual studios which only works on windows... trying to run it on a VM on a low end laptop just isn't possible so windows has a huge upside.

I go purely on cost vs performance, i game alot and do a fair amount of uni work so most games dont work on mac (as we point out alot of times to our mate ) and my work software wont work so its moot for me.

If i spent £1.5k on a windows pc it would be epic... having some lovely SSD's and would be stupidly fast so again each to his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

valid point actually, thats somethign which REALLY annoys me about mac. Whenever mine has crashed all you get is either a complete lock up or it just stalls with the SWOD (spinning wheel of death). So bloody useless!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    valid point actually, thats somethign which REALLY annoys me about mac. Whenever mine has crashed all you get is either a complete lock up or it just stalls with the SWOD (spinning wheel of death). So bloody useless!
    U made me remember it!!

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

I'm curious to find why windows doesn't cut it in any form, and where exactly the linux distros are getting but not there yet?
    Well tbh, I am with Abaxas here. Windows doesn't have POSIX compliance unless you install the very clunky Cygwin. Stuff like PERL and bash, apache etc all come as standard. Admittedly you CAN install them into Windows, but it's an after thought.

Linux on the desktop, for me, still isn't there. I'll admit it's great as a server OS, but it's quite simply not as polished as OSX or Windows. I quite like the fact that I can fire up iChat/Skype, and it just works. No messing about with settings, ndiswrapper or whatever, it just works.

I can set up a photo package. I can set up VMWare/Bootcamp/Cygwin/ActiveState PERL etc. I can build my own PC with whatever components I want. I've done it lots and lots of times, but I can't be arsed any more. I'd prefer to go into a shop. Pay a bit of a premium and walk out with something which:

1) Looks good
    2) Is well specced
    3) Is very tightly integrated

My iPad failed within about 3 months of getting it. The charge/sync port on the bottom just stopped working. I walked into an Apple shop (a different one from where I bought it) and handed it over, and (after messing about with it for 10 mins or so) they handed me a new one.

You can argue that it shouldn't have failed, and I'm most certainly with you on that, but try that with a Dell, HP, Compaq, Alienware, IBM etc etc. You simply can't as they don't have a high street presence.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Also forgot to say that Dells warranty/support is also brilliant... my laptop had a problem with the touchpad, emailed them and got a reply within the hour (could have phoned them instead) and had arranged for an engineer to come check it out the next morning! He replaced the whole keyboard and surrounding area (including touchpad) so replaced more than needed which is nice .

My main issue with reliability is when it comes to the portable side i.e music players, the ipods just dont seem to last as long as say a Sandisk Sansa fuze/clip yet the latter is less than 50% of the price and has much higher audio quality and has many more " features", real features... not just oh you can look at this or you can play a game on it! No, features like gapless playback audio gain massive file format support (supports everything audio i think...) and battery life , radio, recording functions and alot more .
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Mac annoyance #1

Copying a folder over the top of another DELETES the original folder and all contents,
    not a merge as expected.

I know many users who have lost gigabytes of data due to that.

e.g. you have an folder "work" with 20MB in it on a pendrive.
    copy that to your mac in a directory which already contains a folder called "work" (with say 50GB)

It'll just merge the contents right ?
    Nope -you just lost all the data in "work" previously on the mac.
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    Well tbh, I am with Abaxas here. Windows doesn't have POSIX compliance unless you install the very clunky Cygwin. Stuff like PERL and bash, apache etc all come as standard. Admittedly you CAN install them into Windows, but it's an after thought.

Linux on the desktop, for me, still isn't there. I'll admit it's great as a server OS, but it's quite simply not as polished as OSX or Windows. I quite like the fact that I can fire up iChat/Skype, and it just works. No messing about with settings, ndiswrapper or whatever, it just works.

I can set up a photo package. I can set up VMWare/Bootcamp/Cygwin/ActiveState PERL etc. I can build my own PC with whatever components I want. I've done it lots and lots of times, but I can't be arsed any more. I'd prefer to go into a shop. Pay a bit of a premium and walk out with something which:

1) Looks good
    2) Is well specced
    3) Is very tightly integrated

My iPad failed within about 3 months of getting it. The charge/sync port on the bottom just stopped working. I walked into an Apple shop (a different one from where I bought it) and handed it over, and (after messing about with it for 10 mins or so) they handed me a new one.

You can argue that it shouldn't have failed, and I'm most certainly with you on that, but try that with a Dell, HP, Compaq, Alienware, IBM etc etc. You simply can't as they don't have a high street presence.
    ^^This.

I will admit that the only bit of Apple kit I own is a 3rd generation iPod nano (second hand), but I have a mate who has been through the whole cycle - Windows, self build, first with XP, etc, then Linux, self build, server etc. Now, like b0rdom, he CBA - he wants something that just does the job, first time, everytime.

So now he has Apple server, IMac, touchpad, IMac pro (awesome 24 core beast he uses for video transcoding) and touchpod, which doubles as a remote for the Apple Tv etc. Not cheap, but it allows him to do what he wants to do without worrying overly about the compatability.

To redress the balance, he also has one bit of kit which uses Windows 7 as an embedded and tightly integrated system, and that just works too, but that is because windows has been locked down very tightly so that it does only run that limited set of applications with very specific hardware.

Ushe190 pointed out that he was using windows at his work place. Without knowing what sort of organisation he works for, large corporations also lock down windows and use it with specific hardware, in a tightly integrated system, possibly with an IT organisation (organic or out-sourced) behind it to sort it out. (That isn't to say that support would not be needed if a Mac based system was deployed on the same scale, as there would be support issues too, as much for the networking infrastructure as for anything else.)

It is true that you can buy a Dell/Acer/HP/Sony/whatever/ machine and use it standalone, but for a non techy user, who wants to put together a system without worrying about the how, Apple has a lot to commend it. Ultimately Mac OSx is a Unix machine with a very good GUI built on the front end - and it has been implemented well, and sold as an integrated product.

I suppose an analogy is like buying a washing machine. You don't by a Hotpoint becasuse it has HotpointOS in it - you buy it as a package, for what it actually does, not how it does it. I guess the same is with many Apple users. If it does what you what it to do, then it doesn't matter how.

And if someone wants to spend their money on a product that does what they want, at a price they are willing to pay, I have no objection to them doing it, any more than I would object to someone paying (say) £2,000 for their specialist alloy wheeled, alloy wheeled, all singing and dancing 25 gear push bike to commute to work when they could do the same job at a quarter of the price with a steel framed five gear job from Halfords. It's their choice!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

I can understand why if someone needs a POSIX system for work, the attraction, I can see some pros for some people.

What I can't see, and still, all these posts on, is why so many Apple users are complete harriet harmans about it. Take spoons comment about not one problem, only losing (temp!) all his data, because thankfully he bought an expensive backup product.

And then it starts to become more anoying when these types get on the internet. For instance part of the horrifically obviously scriped and presented to make it look like its just a few geeks blogging building windows 8 blog, posting about the new boot process, of course by the time the network hit of sync'ing a profile all the way to europe and back has happened its meaningless for me, but still:
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/09/w...n-off-in-vide/
    Look at the engadget comments from some ****wits claiming their air boots as fast as that. No it doesn't. This is a carefully coriographed video, demonstrating a best possible case. Someone actually linked below a nice example that in fact, an off the shelf air is twice as slow. This is what gets me, because every time someone tells you something about apple they

LIE.

That means when you buy an iPad, you think you've made an informed decision, but no, the web browsing is really that slow, the iPlayer app has buffering issues due to beeb infrastructure, but the users don't tell you about this, don't warn you about this.

When I first used a solaris system, a kind admin gave me a long talk on the gotchas, the problems, the flaws. These are what we need to know about if we're going to have a good user experience.

That is by far and away my major complaint, if someone likes a document centric UI (URGH!) and needs to run X apps, then go for it, just don't tell me your farts don't stink.

17. Received thanks from:

Biscuit (09-09-2011)

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    Linux on the desktop, for me, still isn't there. I'll admit it's great as a server OS, but it's quite simply not as polished as OSX or Windows. I quite like the fact that I can fire up iChat/Skype, and it just works.
    You know, starting IM or Skype on Linux isn't exactly rocket science, open application menu, navigate menu, start programme, ta-da!.. You can even set your DE to start them when you login to your machine.

And you can get the same 'just works' experience buying machines with Linux pre-installed, if we're going to go comparing apples...
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

19. Received thanks from:

Biscuit (09-09-2011)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information