Thread: Error 0x80070017 - NowPC won't start!

Thanks
    • Rookie1986's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3900X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket NVMe m.2 1TB (PCIe 4)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AsRock Taichi AMD Radeon 5700 XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850i
      • Case:
      • Lian Li o11 Dynamic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • MSI Optix MPG341QR // Dell Dell S2421H
      • Internet:
      • BT Full Fibre 900

Error 0x80070017 - NowPC won't start!

Hey guys,

Last night I set my PC away installing a clean copy of Windows Vista to my HDD. This morning I awoke to find that the install had failed due to some corrupt or missing files (Error: 0x80070017). I tried the installer again and the "copying files" stage went ok but when it gets to the "expanding files" stage it stays at 0% for about 10-15 mins and then I get the same pop-up again informing me that the install hasn't worked due to either missing or corrupt files (Error: 0x80070017).

After this I decided to run the windows "repair your computer" function to see if it would be able to sort things out. During the "startup repair" stage I get an error informing me that "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically".

Now when I try to boot up my computer I get a windows boot manager message letting my know that windows has now failed to start and that I need to insert my windows CD and run the "repair your computer" function (which doesn't work) *and then this information;

File: \windows\system32\winload.exe
    Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt

Does anyone know what the problem could be? And more importantly does anyone know how I fix it??

Hope you guys can help,
    Rookie

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Re: Error 0x80070017 - NowPC won't start!

Sounds like there's a corrupt file on the install DVD (or one that is corrupting whilst copying to the hard drive) which is causing the install to fail. Currently you've only got a partial OS installed on your computer, which is why it won't boot into Windows (starting a clean install has deleted the system files for your old install).

I assume you did a full system image backup before you nuked your old install? No?

If the install disk is corrupted (although this is unlikely) you'll need to pick up a new install disk from somewhere (or buy a copy of Windows 7!). It might also be worth downloading a copy of parted magic, which is a live Linux disk that contains lots of tools for managing hard drives including methods for erasing all data. This would mean you essentially had a "fresh" disk to start the install on, which might help. I've had similar problems with Windows XP installs that were down to the sata mode hard drives were working in too, but that shouldn't be a problem with Vista...

Thanks
    • Rookie1986's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3900X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850i
      • Case:
      • Lian Li o11 Dynamic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT Full Fibre 900

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Sounds like there's a corrupt file on the install DVD (or one that is corrupting whilst copying to the hard drive) which is causing the install to fail. Currently you've only got a partial OS installed on your computer, which is why it won't boot into Windows (starting a clean install has deleted the system files for your old install).

I assume you did a full system image backup before you nuked your old install? No?

If the install disk is corrupted (although this is unlikely) you'll need to pick up a new install disk from somewhere (or buy a copy of Windows 7!). It might also be worth downloading a copy of parted magic, which is a live Linux disk that contains lots of tools for managing hard drives including methods for erasing all data. This would mean you essentially had a "fresh" disk to start the install on, which might help. I've had similar problems with Windows XP installs that were down to the sata mode hard drives were working in too, but that shouldn't be a problem with Vista...
    Hey,

I'm guessing this comes as no surprise but I did not make a system image backup before I started. The HDD is getting replaced this week with a new SSD and I've also ordered Windows 7 but a friend has asked if he can have the old drive so I was looking to give it a clean install for him.

So what are my options now? Do I try my new copy of W7 when it comes this week or do I get him to sort things out himself?

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

If your friend wants the old drive for his PC there's no point doing a clean install on your PC - Even if he's got identical hardware to you, there's issues with licensing, WPA, settings ... it's not even worth thinking about it. And definitely don't put your new copy of Win 7 on it for him, as you won't be able to use it yourself if you do.

Download and burn a parted magic CD and secure erase the drive - that way he'll have a nice fresh disk to do what he wants with. Let him deal with install whatever OS he wants - including buying his own copy of Windows if need be. That'll much easier for both of you in the long run.

Thanks
    • Rookie1986's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3900X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850i
      • Case:
      • Lian Li o11 Dynamic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT Full Fibre 900

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    If your friend wants the old drive for his PC there's no point doing a clean install on your PC - Even if he's got identical hardware to you, there's issues with licensing, WPA, settings ... it's not even worth thinking about it. And definitely don't put your new copy of Win 7 on it for him, as you won't be able to use it yourself if you do.

Download and burn a parted magic CD and secure erase the drive - that way he'll have a nice fresh disk to do what he wants with. Let him deal with install whatever OS he wants - including buying his own copy of Windows if need be. That'll much easier for both of you in the long run.
    Oh, we built our systems at the same time with the same components so I just though it would work for him, no worries.

How do I do the parted magic CD thing because that sounds like it would do the trick?

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

If your computers have identical components it *can* work, but Windows uses some serial numbers and other hardware IDs to check whether it's booting the same computer it was installed on - if too many of those change then it'll deactivate itself and tell you it's pirated until you ring Microsoft and tell them why everything's changed

As far as parted magic goes, do a google for it, download the iso image, then burn it to a CD using an image burner (this isn't the same as just copying the file onto the CD - I generally use Active@ Iso Burner which is a free download, but there's plenty of other ways to do this: I think windows 7 will even do it natively). Once you've burned the image to a CD you can boot your computer from it and it runs a stripped down copy of linux with lots of handy disk tools. The parted magic website should be able to tell you everything you need to know - just make sure you only erase the old disk you're giving your mate, and not anything important!

Thread Information